Sp 808 ex - what's the vinyl sim like?

I can also run the same sample through a SP404SX to compare if you like
Ooh yeah! That would be awesome... Probably future people will be interested too, so I'll just share the folder here if anyone else wants to use the same samples, they should be re-uploadable to the same folder... I might just clean up the filenames now... The vocal choir sample is mine just from the other day's tracking, but feel free to use it, just attribute me somehow if you put something out with it. I guess if anyone wants to process these samps with anything, feel free, just append the effect & quick description to the filename, and if it gets messy, I'll make subfolders for each effect type or something. I'll probably start a new thread named "vinyl sim comparison (plus other effects" or something... If anyone thinks the 6 samples I uploaded would be more useful to be different kinds, then I'm happy to consider changing them, or maybe one single audio file with the different samples within would be way easier... My rationale behind my choices is as follows:

01 - "Kalimba"
02 - "F9 11th hour Guitar 70 Cmin"

Both these are mostly mids and highs melodic / chordal, no bass

03 - the campervan dancers choir round in D

Similar, but smoother with more sustain

04 - 78bpm_drumloop_simple tom fill_compcrush

Clean drum loop

05 - 140bpm_bassline

bass

06 - piano & beat

drums with something extra in there

The only thing missing is drums with bass, and a full track, ie. as master fx...

After writing all this, I decided to put them all into one track as an option, and after exporting it, I noticed that the vocal choir sample is way longer than the others, oops!

Here's the link - http://www.mediafire.com/?2wjb6v9schlz3 the master file with all 6 samples is called "all 6 sampxamples for fx testing"

PS. I put an mp3 also of the all in one file, incase you have slow downloads or something

CC: @cretakano

So, the long file thing will probably be much easier, should be real easy to import before and after into your DAW of choice, and A/B away… Here is a place to drop everything

http://www.mediafire.com/filedrop/filedrop_hosted.php?drop=3811751d8357f7eeaaee10d256e4a117cab0d814487ce054c2e0ba6b60a251d2

^ to drop files

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/vby9702q8l0zz/comparison_fx

^ to access comparison files

@ludicrouSpeed Nice mix of samples man, I just uploaded SP404 vinyl sim versions to the comparison fx folder.

I looped up each sample so I could mess with all the vinyl sim parameters. The first and last loop of each file is the dry original version, and each time it loops I’m changing the compression amount, vinyl crackles and the flutter knob, as well as changing the input levels to show how the compressor reacts to it.

@ludicrouSpeed Nice mix of samples man, I just uploaded SP404 vinyl sim versions to the comparison fx folder.

I looped up each sample so I could mess with all the vinyl sim parameters. The first and last loop of each file is the dry original version, and each time it loops I'm changing the compression amount, vinyl crackles and the flutter knob, as well as changing the input levels to show how the compressor reacts to it.

Dude, thankyou SO MUCH!

It’s a real eye opener… As expected, it sounds really nice on the drums, but I also really enjoyed it on the guitar… It kinda sounded good on everything though… I think the comp adds some magic pixie dust to the sound… Would love to know the chain… I think I’ll have to get a 404OG or a 303. Gonna put the 808ex up for sale, haha.

Also, I think the flutter is just more musical, the 808 has full tweakability to quote someone over at SP forums “<span style=“background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34); color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: “Lucida Grande”, “Trebuchet MS”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;”>In the back-end you can switch between stereo and mono, fine tune SignalDist, adjust frequency range, disk type (LP, EP and SP), Noise Total, Scratch, Dust, Hiss, W/F total, wow, flutter, Random, FX level and Drylevel.
<span style=“color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: “Lucida Grande”, “Trebuchet MS”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34);”>You can also reassign the control knobs from the default settings listed above to any of the ones listed, plus adjust the knob-sweep ranges.

"<span style=“background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34); color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: “Lucida Grande”, “Trebuchet MS”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;”>The 808 vinyl simulator has no built-in compression like the 303 or 404OG.
<br style=“color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: “Lucida Grande”, “Trebuchet MS”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34);”>
<span style=“background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34); color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: “Lucida Grande”, “Trebuchet MS”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;”>But really nice to be able to fine-tune the blends between wet/dry, degradation vs click/pop etc… wow and flutter as separate aspects etc etc etc."

But in light of not being familiar with the menu diving interface, and kinda just wanting to quickly get a vinyl sim with a bit of control, I feel having that instant-vinyl effect is much more valuable to me personally than being able to fine tune every detail.

When I get to my studio, I’ll run the samples through some effects on the 808, as I said some of the non-vinyl sim effects have a real nice and seemingly unique quality to them…

No worries mate! Yeah that vinyl sim compressor is special, sounds good on everything, even as a master effect. I use the flutter a bit, but always have the crackles turned off as don’t like the sound of them.

The 808 did have the tweakability but found it no fun to use. I really like most the 404 fx, not many options for tweaking but they just sound good like a nice pedal, and only having one effect at a time makes you resample and commit to it.

My recording chain was:

Samples in Ableton -> out to Soundcraft MTK12 stereo channel -> Group 1-2 to SP-404 -> Routed back to another MTK12 stereo channel -> Ableton

Remember the 505 also has the OG Vinyl Compression too! Can pick them up cheap if you’re patient

1 Like
Remember the 505 also has the OG Vinyl Compression too! Can pick them up cheap if you’re patient

Thanks mate! Yeah, I heard that 404 is close to 505, and 303 too, but 303 is a bit dirtier, but could be cause of sampling rates or what have you… I think I’d prefer 404 on account of it’s smaller size, but maybe they’re close.

If anybody needs a Boss SP 505…

I am selling one without powerchord for 200$ inlcuding worldwide shipping.

sorry for hijacking :slight_smile:

If anybody needs a Boss SP 505...

I am selling one without powerchord for 200$ inlcuding worldwide shipping.

sorry for hijacking :)

Which $?

Also, how about the physical size of the 505 vs the 303/404… Finding it hard to find comparison pics.

Hi,

American dollars it is…
In terms of size the 505 is 12cm wider than the 404. Depth is the same as 404, but it slimmer in terms of heigth. Is that understandable?
If you want I could take some pics tomorrow…got a 404 and 505 here.

Hi,

American dollars it is...
In terms of size the 505 is 12cm wider than the 404. Depth is the same as 404, but it slimmer in terms of heigth. Is that understandable?
If you want I could take some pics tomorrow...got a 404 and 505 here.

Thanks mate, it’s all good. I don’t think I can justify the purchase just now.

How would you compare the vinyl sim to the 404og or 303?

No problem…

I had a 303 a while back…to me the sound is not much different. Plus the benefits of the 505 certainly make it the better machine. Can’t compare to the og 404 as mine is the 404sx.

I love my 505! The micro editor is so useful.