Sp 808 ex - what's the vinyl sim like?

Hey dudes,

So I might be just about to buy an 808ex at a nice price.

It has come to my attention that there are two different vinyl sims found across the different SP devices… There is the old school 303 which is prettier and has more compression in a slow wobble and then there is the new one found on the 404sx

Please refer to this page for more info on that - http://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24547&p=162408#p162408

As I understand it the 808ex the vinyl sim, which is probably the main reason that I want an SP…

I can’t seem to find anywhere if the 808 ex vinyl sim his same as the 303 or if it’s a newer one…

I would much prefer the old school ready compression vinyl sim…

Can anyone fill me in and what the 808 vinyl sim is like?

I bought it. Price was nice, so flipping shouldn’t be a problem if the sim isn’t what I want.

I bought it. Price was nice, so flipping shouldn't be a problem if the sim isn't what I want.
I'm intersted as to what the vinyl sim is like on the 808, comparable to OG 404?
I bought it. Price was nice, so flipping shouldn't be a problem if the sim isn't what I want.
I'm intersted as to what the vinyl sim is like on the 808, comparable to OG 404?

Apparently it’s not. Ie. No compression included. But some seem to like it, so I’ll judge for myself

Getting some interesting details here http://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24547&p=162444#p162444

my friend just got one of these.

u can have 2 effects going simultaneously tho no?
my friend just got one of these.

u can have 2 effects going simultaneously tho no?

I’m not sure… Here’s hoping!

Your last post was empty to me :’( @<a href=“https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/100/docshermsticks” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>docshermsticks<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>

i was gunna say i’m almost positive u can on the 808

but then i realized, i really wasn’t.
just going off what my homie told me so didn’t want to pass potentially iffy second hand info
i was gunna say i'm almost positive u can on the 808
but then i realized, i really wasn't.
just going off what my homie told me so didn't want to pass potentially iffy second hand info

It really was empty then, hahaah… jks

Nah, thanks man… I’ll have it in a couple of days. I know you can resample, and I’ve heard it’s good at it, so I’ll report back

On SP404, you could do pretty far with resampling.

Only one FX at a time, but I used to love them quite a lot !

Mmmmm, should get myself an SP404 again, I guess :smiley:

On SP404, you could do pretty far with resampling.
Only one FX at a time, but I used to love them quite a lot !

Mmmmm, should get myself an SP404 again, I guess :D

#gastrigger haha. Sorry

You had the OG 404?

Yes, indeed. I used it a lot to sample anything, from train noises to my voice or forrest birds.

It was battery powered so I had it with me all the time !
I exchanged it for a Pocket Piano MIDI, which was fun as well.
It’s sold now, but from the two, I miss the SP404 way more ! FX were good on this.
I wouldn’t put more than 200€ on it though. But I keep looking for a cheap one :wink:

Yes, indeed. I used it a lot to sample anything, from train noises to my voice or forrest birds.
It was battery powered so I had it with me all the time !
I exchanged it for a Pocket Piano MIDI, which was fun as well.
It's sold now, but from the two, I miss the SP404 way more ! FX were good on this.
I wouldn't put more than 200€ on it though. But I keep looking for a cheap one ;)

Nice. Ever had the 303?

Nope. Only SP404 og.

Nope. Only SP404 og.

Cool cool… I had a play with the 808ex tonight… Kinda conflicted, haha.

On the one hand I was impressed by the grittiness of the effects (not the vinyl sim, but some of the other effects), really lofi, and some of the chorus, and other random effects had a real unique warmth to them…

OTOH, the thing is huge for what I’ll use it for (fx box)

I’m not so impressed with the vinyl sim on the 808, being that it’s without compression (althought I haven’t tried tweaking each individual parameter, which I’ve been informed you can do on the 808, and not on the 303/404og), and I crave to know what it sounds like on my samples with the 303/404og vinyl sim w/ compression…

So I’ll probs put the 808 up for sale, and then try a 303/404og… There’s a likelyhood that I’ll miss the sp808 tone though, haha.

I still use an OG 404 all the time for fx and vinyl sim, love the sound of it. Had an 808 for a while, sounded cool too but hated that zip disk.

If you want to post a sample, I’d be happy to run it through 404 vinyl sim for you to compare!
I still use an OG 404 all the time for fx and vinyl sim, love the sound of it. Had an 808 for a while, sounded cool too but hated that zip disk.

If you want to post a sample, I'd be happy to run it through 404 vinyl sim for you to compare!

Ooh, actually that would be really helpful! I’ll PM when I pick a sample :)))

I can also run the same sample through a SP404SX to compare if you like