Spark components

I can’t really figure out what the last three spark step components do, is there a decent explanation somewhere? the manual ist vague, the most.

@geesbert said:
I can’t really figure out what the last three spark step components do, is there a decent explanation somewhere? the manual ist vague, the most.

Someone in [Reddit](https://old.reddit.com/r/OPZuser/comments/9sen32/trigger_spark_step_component_protip_undocumented/ ““Trigger Spark” Step Component Pro-Tip / Undocumented Feature”) gave an explanation of his findings

I’ve figured out spark components. They are all essentially on/off switches for parameters, components, and entire trigs.

Trig Sparks allow you to designate at which pass of a sequence a given step is triggered ie: step 5 snare plays the second time of four passes. Use the numbered black keys when placing the trig spark to set the denominator, press the same number again to cycle through different numerators (blinking number LED).

Param Sparks operate in the same way as Trig Sparks, but they target parameter changes locked to a sequencer step. Hold a trig step down and turn some dials to change the sound. When placing a Param Spark on this step, you can designate in which pass the locked parameters are heard. All other passes will play the unaltered version of the sound.

Comp Sparks operate the same as Trig and Param sparks, but target step components. Let’s say you shorten the hi hat track to just four steps long and place a step on each 16th note. Placing a Multiply step component with the black 2 key selected on the 4th trig would give you three normal sixteenth notes followed by two ratcheted thirty-second notes. If you also add a Comp Spark to this trig, the ratcheting would only occur at specified times.

4 Likes

The depth of step components went from kiddie pool to lake status level with this last post. I’ll need to rethink my left to right track workflow and start at both end and meet in the middle.

:o Indeed. I’m drowning :smiley:

@PLNB said:
The depth of step components went from kiddie pool to lake status level with this last post.

That’s not a bad thing. They all function in the exact same way, just target different layers of the step.

Not at all. The depth of the device is impressive for this function vs, 1 to one like the PO’s. If only the parameter field for the synths can be bumped to four like OP-1, this little guy will be a long term sidekick along OP-1.

Thank you soooo much for this. The numerator part was something I was completely missing.

I’m still fighting to understand how pattern-length (& length of longest track in pattern) affects spark cycle counts when pattern chaining, but I think this will help