Stereo bounce

Is there a workaround for this? Either within tape doing straight bouncing or back and forth from album?

Nope, can’t see. OP-1 is mainly mono for everything but the Mixing / Album

What do you need this for ?

Was planning on getting a rough structure down on 4 tracks and recording to album (with panning) , then back to tape, then use the spare tracks to add stuff, pan that, then record to album with live mutes/solos/keys etc. So kind of like mute/soloing between two different songs. And repeat the process until it sounded interesting. But without panning it’s too busy down the middle to keep bouncing :confused:

You can go to disk mode, split the album file into two mono files and copy them over track files. Never tried it but I think somebody said it works.

You can go to disk mode, split the album file into two mono files and copy them over track files. Never tried it but I think somebody said it works.

Really? All inside OP? That’s perfect if so. Not sure it’ll work on a whole song tho because of the 90+ seconds lift/drop limit… I’ll check it out. Thanks.

Weird units these OP-1s… People rave about the colour coordinated slickness of its OS/UI/workflow etc but having to do things like the above suggested method just to bounce in stereo makes me think it’s actually kind of a mess overall. Especially once you get past basic workflow stuff. Bounce to stereo should just be a case of ‘arm/pan 2 tape tracks. Press record’…

Would be killer if TE somehow shoehorned a new UI screen for bouncing functions/options etc in to the OS and streamlined that side of it…

You just have to go with the flow, the OP1 just doesn’t do certain things that DAWs do as routine. Do something different instead. :slight_smile:

The OP-1 seems to be very much structured around the physical things the OS represents. A tape track has 4 mono tracks. These 4 mono tracks go into a 4 input mixer with panning. This becomes the stereo track you hear. If you record to the album, you make permanent the mixing settings as you would if you were pressing a vinyl record.

There are a lot of things that the OP-1 can’t do, and will probably never do. It becomes difficult for people when they want to replace their workflow on some other devices with that of the OP-1 (since it really does a lot of different things). But you have to be willing to change or rework your workflow to work with the OP-1 instead of trying to force the OP-1 to do what you were able to do on other things.

@ghostly606 yeah I hear you :wink: didn’t mean to flip to ‘bitching’ mode! Just had one of those half hours where nothing is doing what you want it to…

In this case I wasn’t really comparing op to daw tho. Every other sampler I have (sp404/555, microsampler, octatrack) resamples in stereo with zero hassle. Would just be really useful… Still figuring out where OP fits in to workflow here tho, I’ll suss it out :wink:

@GCF yeah I know what you’re saying. I guess part of my problem is that I agree with your analysis of op being structured around what the OS represents (multitrack tape). I kind of thought I could mimic my workflow from my multitrack tape recorders and bounce stereo mixes with workaround somewhere inside OS. My error, didn’t think to research the bounce/resample function as thoroughly as I should have. Not the end of the world tho, I can always export to daw or whatever.

@GCF yeah I know what you're saying. I guess part of my problem is that I agree with your analysis of op being structured around what the OS represents (multitrack tape). I kind of thought I could mimic my workflow from my multitrack tape recorders and bounce stereo mixes with workaround somewhere inside OS. My error, didn't think to research the bounce/resample function as thoroughly as I should have. Not the end of the world tho, I can always export to daw or whatever.
Yeah, but should you really have to?

There comes a point when either this thing gets the job done or it doesn't.

Sometimes the OP-1 reminds me of the Roland JD-XI, at first glance it seem f'ing amazing,

You have to get to the point of actually trying to finish a track (A REAL track, for commercial use) before you start realizing where the developers got bored with it and said, fine it's done. I'm probably one of the few people who stuck with the JD-XI didn't sell it and learned the entire workflow start to finish, it's doable but it is far from pretty.

The OP-1 propaganda has always been "Love the limitations" since day 1, but you know, for the cash we all threw down?

Screw the limits, we want some very basic nessesities added, not new gimmicks,
@GCF yeah I know what you're saying. I guess part of my problem is that I agree with your analysis of op being structured around what the OS represents (multitrack tape). I kind of thought I could mimic my workflow from my multitrack tape recorders and bounce stereo mixes with workaround somewhere inside OS. My error, didn't think to research the bounce/resample function as thoroughly as I should have. Not the end of the world tho, I can always export to daw or whatever.
Yeah, but should you really have to?

There comes a point when either this thing gets the job done or it doesn't.

Sometimes the OP-1 reminds me of the Roland JD-XI, at first glance it seem f'ing amazing,

You have to get to the point of actually trying to finish a track (A REAL track, for commercial use) before you start realizing where the developers got bored with it and said, fine it's done. I'm probably one of the few people who stuck with the JD-XI didn't sell it and learned the entire workflow start to finish, it's doable but it is far from pretty.

The OP-1 propaganda has always been "Love the limitations" since day 1, but you know, for the cash we all threw down?

Screw the limits, we want some very basic nessesities added, not new gimmicks,

I agree that some of the limitations just suck and don’t force creativity, only slow down workflow or deny you something basic like stereo bounce. But OP has limited CPU/DSP or whatever and there’s only so much TE can squeeze out of it…

I don’t really agree with those people saying they wouldn’t want to Sacrifice the simplicity and elegance of the UI for some extra functionality with new button combos etc. I’d take functions over form in this case. It’s almost ‘too simple’ sometimes in its current state on certain levels.

But for other things I think the limitations are often down to hardware spec and out of TE’s hands. On the beta there’s significant lagging with graphics when using slump and tape recorder. Maybe that’s just cos it’s early stage and code needs refining etc. But I took it as kind of an indication that OP can quite easily be pushed to its limits with relatively light tasks. So I don’t know if it has the power/memory etc to stereo bounce under the hood. Possibly if TE brought in a new mode that made synths/external recording etc inaccessible during a bounce that might free up enough resources? But who knows…

For other less taxing functions im in full agreement though, the general tape workflow needs tidying up and some basic additions. It hasn’t aged so well and feels sloppy/functions missing etc. Hopefully TE address some of this integral workflow stuff in the next update and not only add new sounds/eye candy. They seem to have vastly improved the pops/clicks at least.

I would be very surprised if TE would touch the Tape apart from dealing with pops and clicks…

I would be very surprised if TE would touch the Tape apart from dealing with pops and clicks...

Yeah I doubt they will too. But would be stoked to see ‘segment delete (up to 6 minutes)’ and ‘location markers’ added… And an ‘offline stereo bounce’ would be next level. But yeah, agreed all of those are very unlikely.

Splitting album and copying to tape requires a PC. Would be good task for a RasPi “OP Manager” project. Plug in USB, press some knobs, done.

I did a successful test for this a while back on my little android app I’m building (plugged Op-1 and phone together via a USB OTG cable, pressed a button on the app to split an album file and overwrite two of the tape tracks). I have soooooo little time to develop that thing at the moment, so don’t hold your breath.

@yoof app sounds promising, would possibly be the first time I ever felt like me having android was a ‘good’ thing re music apps :wink: If you don’t get time to finish it maybe TE could do something similar?

Yeah - would be cool if they just added it as a feature somehow. A little screen that allowed you to choose which album file you wanted to dump onto which two tape tracks.

As far as I can work out, the fact that some of the effects are stereo can only be benefited from while you’re doing the final bounce to album. If you wanted to capture some of that stereo lushness and continue working on your track, you’d need to have a stereo bounce feature (else it gets squished back to mono with the white ear). So, would be a dead handy feature.