Stereo or Mono for Recording and Direct Monitoring

Very much a beginner’s question.

When recording into my DAW, and Direct Monitoring through my audio interface, should I be using Stereo or Mono with the OP-1?

I’ve spent the last few hours googling whether to use Stereo or Mono based on the instrument used. It seems like most people are saying synthesizers should be recorded in mono. Some instances where synths should use Stereo, based on some forum postings, are when the synth’s patchs are based on stereo samples, when certain effects require stereo,… Are there such instances where it would be better to use Stereo for the OP-1?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Since the OP-1, unlike most synths, has a built in Mixer where you can pan channels, in order for that panning to be useable, I would need to record/direct monitor in stereo to use that particular function?
1 Like

The tracks in the OP1 are mono only. I am not sure but I believe any stereo running through the line in gets summed and recorded as mono rather than just recording the left or right track.

The tracks in the OP1 are mono only.

When you say tracks, do you mean the 4 tracks in the tape recorder? But since you can pan those tracks in the mixer, wouldn’t that imply that it’s stereo? Or can mono be panned too? (I’m still learning about how mono/stereo works.)

Panning of mono and stereo tracks both possible but work slightly differently. In mono the panning affects the L and R output volume of the same mono audio file. In stereo the panning affects the balance of the sound, i.e. the volume of the L channel audio file and the volume of the R channel audio file are different. If you want to use a stereo file you will need to first record the left channel to an audio track on the OP1 and then the right channel to another audio track on the OP1 and then hard pan these left and right.

Hope that makes sense, I am useless at explaining stuff.

Each engine in the OP-1 is mono. Each synth, sampler etc is mono. If you pan your tracks and mix on the OP-1 your going to want to record the OP-1’s output in stereo to record your panning. Also, if you have panning and record to Mono, if it is being summed somehow you may get phase issues. If it’s not being summed this means that you will just be recording the left or right output and tracks panned to the other side will be quiet or if hard panned totally inaudible. If sampling into the the OP-1 I still suggest feeding it a stereo signal, as it will sum the channels for you. So, I suggest recording into the OP-1 and from the OP-1 in stereo. It’s just important to know that it will be summed to mono, and you will only hear your song from the OP in stereo if you indeed pan the tracks and record/monitor in stereo.

The effects in OP can have a pleasing stereo effect.Also a mix of synth instruments and drums benefit from panning (In the OP mixer) so you want the option of stereo monitor on your DAW.You can always mono mix if you want that effect for ,say, a mono synth (or save memory).
If you were stuck for audio inputs on your mac interface and had other instruments that needed monitoring/recording at the same time,then you could consider using two mono cables from two synths,but if it is just OP-1 ,use stereo into your mac.

Thanks for the really informative responses! I’m in that phase of learning where because I’m so new that I don’t understand a lot of what is said in the replies even though it’s all cogent, but I keep rereading them dozens of times, as if comprehension will suddenly emerge. So hopefully my questions make some sense.

From ghostly606

Hope that makes sense, I am useless at explaining stuff.

I think I understood it all. Not totally useless at explaining!

From Virtual_Flannel
If you pan your tracks and mix on the OP-1 your going to want to record the OP-1’s output in stereo to record your panning.

If, however, I do panning in my DAW (Logic), then would it be better to record OP-1 in mono?

If it’s not being summed this means that you will just be recording the left or right output and tracks panned to the other side will be quiet or if hard panned totally inaudible.

I just tested this in Logic: I recorded a note held on the OP-1 into a mono Logic track, all the while panning, through the OP-1’s mixer, hard left and right. When maxed to the left, it became inaudible. Is this precisely what you described? What does this behavior tell you?–that Logic isn’t summing the signal?

If sampling into the the OP-1 I still suggest feeding it a stereo signal, as it will sum the channels for you.

I’m lost to the reasoning on this point. What would happen if I fed a mono signal for sampling instead?

From Spheric_El
The effects in OP can have a pleasing stereo effect.
Are there OP-1 effects that are stereo?

Generally speaking, how do you know what effects are stereo or not? For example, I’ve read that chorus effects are considered stereo, and so presumably you would need to record/direct monitor in stereo to benefit from it, but unless I come across a tidy table telling me what effects are stereo or mono, how would you know?
Also a mix of synth instruments and drums benefit from panning (In the OP mixer) so you want the option of stereo monitor on your DAW.
Could I also achieve the same effect by recording the OP-1 mono in my DAW, then use the DAW's panning instead?

...then you could consider using two mono cables from two synths,but if it is just OP-1 ,use stereo into your mac.

Right now, I'm using a 3.5mm to dual 1/4" TS to connect the OP-1 to my audio interface. If I don't use OP-1's mixer for panning, and if that means I can record to my DAW in mono, does that mean I can unplug one of the 1/4" TS plugs? And would using only 1 of the 2 1/4" TS plugs in this cable be identical to using a 3.5mm to single 1/4" TS cable?

EDIT: Sorry about the weird formatting. Unfamiliar with how it works when multi-quoting.

Deleted post

From Virtual_Flannel
If you pan your tracks and mix on the OP-1 your going to want to record the OP-1's output in stereo to record your panning.

1.If, however, I do panning in my DAW (Logic), then would it be better to record OP-1 in mono?

If it’s not being summed this means that you will just be recording the left or right output and tracks panned to the other side will be quiet or if hard panned totally inaudible.

2.I just tested this in Logic: I recorded a note held on the OP-1 into a mono Logic track, all the while panning, through the OP-1’s mixer, hard left and right. When maxed to the left, it became inaudible. Is this precisely what you described? What does this behavior tell you?–that Logic isn’t summing the signal?

If sampling into the the OP-1 I still suggest feeding it a stereo signal, as it will sum the channels for you.

3.I’m lost to the reasoning on this point. What would happen if I fed a mono signal for sampling instead?

1. I would still record to stereo, just make sure the OP-1 is not panned at all in this situation.
    2. In this situation you are just recording the right side, so yes it is not being summed.
    3. Say you are sampling a record and on that record the rhodes is panned hard left and the cowbell is hard right. The OP-1 will sum these to mono. When you sum you get both of the channels added together if that makes sense. If you fed it a mono signal like say a Moog synth, it would be cool and end up mono anyways. The key is if you just feed it the left or right channel, you will only hear whats on that side. I.E iin the example I gave, if you record the left channel you wouldn’t get much cowbell.
    Hope that clears that up, if not, please ask further and Ill try to clear it up!

1. I would still record to stereo, just make sure the OP-1 is not panned at all in this situation.

Could you explain why it would still be better to record, and presumably direct monitor as well, the OP-1 in stereo even if I’m not using it’s panning abilities?

3. Say you are sampling a record and on that record the rhodes is panned hard left and the cowbell is hard right. The OP-1 will sum these to mono. When you sum you get both of the channels added together if that makes sense. If you fed it a mono signal like say a Moog synth, it would be cool and end up mono anyways. The key is if you just feed it the left or right channel, you will only hear whats on that side. I.E iin the example I gave, if you record the left channel you wouldn’t get much cowbell.

I think I completely understand all of that.

Just to make it more concrete for me, if you were to sample a mono signal into the OP-1, instead of using a dual 1/4" TS to 3.5mm stereo cable from my audio interface to my OP-1 (which I assume is how you would stereo sample), you would use a single 1/4" TS to 3.5mm mono cable? And then you would have the missing cowbell? Poor cowbell.

Thanks!

The master effects are stereo. Tracks on individual instruments are mono and will be recorded to a single tape track. Also, if you’re working within the op-1 (OT logic I guess) feel free to record the same things on multiple tracks with different synth or effect settings to widen and liven your sound.

The master effects are stereo.

But when effects are used on individual tracks, even if you’re using panning on one, they are mono?

Could you explain how you figure out which effects are stereo or mono? And is that knowledge applicable to all synths in general?

1.aCould you explain why it would still be better to record, and presumably direct monitor as well, the OP-1 in stereo even if I'm not using it's panning abilities?

3. Say you are sampling a record and on that record the rhodes is panned hard left and the cowbell is hard right. The OP-1 will sum these to mono. When you sum you get both of the channels added together if that makes sense. If you fed it a mono signal like say a Moog synth, it would be cool and end up mono anyways. The key is if you just feed it the left or right channel, you will only hear whats on that side. I.E iin the example I gave, if you record the left channel you wouldn't get much cowbell.

I think I completely understand all of that.

2.aJust to make it more concrete for me, if you were to sample a mono signal into the OP-1, instead of using a dual 1/4" TS to 3.5mm stereo cable from my audio interface to my OP-1 (which I assume is how you would stereo sample), you would use a single 1/4" TS to 3.5mm mono cable? And then you would have the missing cowbell? Poor cowbell.

Thanks!

1.a More preference than anything. In ableton for example I like to see both channels (left and right) so when I do pan I can visually see what content is on each channel. So if I pan left, I will see the decreased signal on the right channel.

2.a This is correct, so I would suggest using dual 1/4 inch to 3.5, this way you get both the left and right channel and they will be summed to mono automatically in the OP-1. If you were to sample from just the left or just the right, that would indeed be a mono signal, and you would get just the content on that channel. I haven’t done this for a long time, but when I had an MPC, I would often choose which channel (l or r) to sample to save space. It’s a good trick for isolating a part of the sample you want if its hard panned one way or the other.
2.a This is correct, so I would suggest using dual 1/4 inch to 3.5,...

Awesome. I haven’t tried sampling yet, anywhere, besides doing so briefly with the radio in the OP-1–found it quite fun. I imagine you answered for me a question that I would have arrived at later. Thanks.

Quote1
Are there OP-1 effects that are stereo?

Generally speaking, how do you know what effects are stereo or not? For example, I’ve read that chorus effects are considered stereo, and so presumably you would need to record/direct monitor in stereo to benefit from it, but unless I come across a tidy table telling me what effects are stereo or mono, how would you know?
A1
The master effects are stereo.In the mixer mode T3.Phone and Spring sound wide with headphones.
The best way to tell if an effect needs to be stereo is use your ears ,while soloing,just one channel(L or R) panned to centre(mono) or both,panned centre.If it sounds ok,doesnt change too much,then use it in mono if you wish.Some effect like a flanger ,may have an upward movement in one speaker and down in the other and this would noticeably stop moving when mono-fied. some effects will cancel through phase cancelation and bits will disappear or become static (stop moving).Reverbs may sound much quieter.Your ears will get use to noticing this and you will have confidence that it sounds ok(or not).
(There is a sure fire technical way of telling if there is a difference in two signals.Reverse phase one channel then mix the two signals(pan both centre) -and two identical signals should make the sound disappear to silence.Anything left is your difference).
Q2
Could I also achieve the same effect by recording the OP-1 mono in my DAW, then use the DAW’s panning instead?
A2
Yes -more control in a DAW if you are using one.
Q3
Right now, I’m using a 3.5mm to dual 1/4" TS to connect the OP-1 to my audio interface. If I don’t use OP-1’s mixer for panning, and if that means I can record to my DAW in mono, does that mean I can unplug one of the 1/4" TS plugs? And would using only 1 of the 2 1/4" TS plugs in this cable be identical to using a 3.5mm to single 1/4" TS cable?
A3
Yes it’s fine to unplug one 1/4 and record mono ,but I would only feel the need if I had something else to plug in the other channel,like a mic.@Virtual_Flannels response about ease of use is a good suggestion and choose via software what you want.

It’s not the same as a mini 1/8 TS plugged to your OP-1 output.-I have read on this forum that’s its not such a good idea to connect a mono to your stereo output for fear of some short circuit signals.Not sure how much of a danger it is but I generally avoid.Plus my Monotron manual (from korg) also warns against a mono jack in its stereo output -like its a big no no- and that’s a mono signal ,just split equally over a headphone output.

I admire your eagerness for answers and knowledge .Are you more of a live muso background just getting into music tech?

From Spheric_El :

"The master effects are stereo"

Why aren’t the effects for the individual tracks also stereo?–is this unique to the OP-1 or a design approach common to other instruments as well?

I’m just trying to figure out why that separation exists, if it serves a purpose I can’t imagine as a neophyte.

"The best way to tell if an effect needs to be stereo is use your ears ,while soloing,just one channel(L or R) panned to centre(mono) or both,panned centre.If it sounds ok,doesnt change too much,then use it in mono if you wish."

Dashed my hopes that there’s a tidy way to distinguish stereo versus mono. Right now, I feel my hearing is very unreliable and unperceptive, but that may have more to being new to it all. Trying what you suggested, I can certainly hear the difference in some Master effects like Spring and Grid, but with some others I can’t. Perhaps some synth and/or master effect parameters just happen to diminish the stereo vs. mono distinction, and I just need to manipulate them while comparing.

Are there are any effects that are universally stereo or mono, across instruments?

(Continued in following post. Says I’m above the “character limit” for some reason.)

"(There is a sure fire technical way of telling if there is a difference in two signals.Reverse phase one channel then mix the two signals(pan both centre) -and two identical signals should make the sound disappear to silence.Anything left is your difference)."

That's great to know. I'll look into that for my DAW.

"It's not the same as a mini 1/8 TS plugged to your OP-1 output.-I have read on this forum that's its not such a good idea to connect a mono to your stereo output for fear of some short circuit signals."

Thanks for sharing that. I'll be certain never to do that!

"Are you more of a live muso background just getting into music tech?"

That's fairly accurate. I was mostly a classically trained pianist--I've played other instruments as well, but all have been acoustic instruments. Most of the music I've enjoyed for a long time has nothing to do with the music I was trained in, and most of it has a great deal of electronics.

So just a couple months ago I started a basic setup, and now I'm doing two things totally foreign to me: recording music and playing with synthesizers and a drum machine. It wasn't long ago that I had the most difficult time trying to figure out what an audio interface is (!), but, thankfully, there's friendly strangers like you willing to help. Without it, I'd be even more lost.

The insert effects for each instrument are mono because they are recorded to a single tape track. The master effects, which are the same lot as the insert effects, are optimized for stereo as they effect the output of all four tracks simultaneously. The parameters are the same, but you’ll hear things like reverb around the whole stereo field instead of just, say, track 3.

Pianist -nice.You should have a lot of fun with the OP-1.That is one instrument I wish I’d been trained in,early.

The insert effects for each instrument are mono because they are recorded to a single tape track. The master effects, which are the same lot as the insert effects, are optimized for stereo as they effect the output of all four tracks simultaneously. The parameters are the same, but you’ll hear things like reverb around the whole stereo field instead of just, say, track 3.

Okay, I think I got it now. Thank you.