Sub harmonic distortion on lower register sounds

Hi everyone,
Does any owner of OB-4 noticed additional sounds while playing lower frequencies sound? I have tried playing short synth sounds using both line in and bluetooth and the problem persists. It seems to dissappear if sound is of high enough frequency so I guess it must be something with bigger speakers.
You can try it by setting up OP-1 or OP-Z to short sound with no release and if you play it for a very short while you should then hear a bass sound response to that sound which is generated by OB-4 itself it your unit behaves as my own. So my main question is has anyone else noticed such behaviour? I guess I should contact TE right away but I am curious if it is only my unit.

1 Like

Yes! There is definitely some sort of low frequency gurgling coming through on every mode on mine. It doesn’t get louder when the volume is increased but it’s there. I keep meaning to try and do a decent recording if it (on hols at present).

1 Like

Do you see a red led light up at the input of the Ob-4
it can be overload on input.
If it is this. Reduce the level of the instrument before it reaches the input of the Ob-4.

It is not distortion on input as it affects each and every mode. You can even hear it in metronome mode. It is noticeable the most if the the speaker is not playing that loud (like 20 and below in orthoplay app).
I intended to use the speaker primarily for music making and during the night so it is important for me that it will reproduce the sound as closely to source as possible and at every volume setting.
It is a beautiful piece of gear so I really hope that this problem is constrained to small percentage of units (or solvable through software update) as it would be a lifelong keeper for me if not for those additional sounds.

1 Like

Exactly. At the lowest volume level the noise is louder than what’s being played. And that commodore 64 loading random gargling I’ve found not that relaxing to fall asleep to!

That sounds like a defect. Contact TE. And they will help you out.

1 Like

like this K?

what’s the latest with your’s?

1 Like

Yep, this is the same thing that both units that I checked exhibited. It was especially pronounced on lower volume levels. Unfortunately I returned both of them so can’t help with telling what is the progress on that but I hope they will fix it with firmware in the future as I would like to rebuy OB-4 as otherwise it would be perfect speaker for me

1 Like

Thats the same like on my OB-4. The support told me that it should be fixed in the latest firmware 1.4.11 or so. But the firmware didn’t fix it for me so i‘m still waiting for another update.

1 Like

Really? That’s brilliant news! It shows a) they recognise the problem, and )b it can be fixed via an update.

Thanks Y’all :kissing_heart:

1 Like