Techniques for evolving drums?

Im not at my OP-1 at the moment, but I am thinking of ways to make a 4 bar drum loop sound slightly glitchy and different with each pass. Anyone got any techniques? I imagine DBox would be good along with some modulations? Any detailed techniques would be appreciated.

Phone is nice for glitchy effects on drums too. (Sorry, not very detailed. =) )

I got a real nice thing happening with the random lfo one time… Not sure if it’s what you’re after, or if I saved the patch, but I’ll look into it :slight_smile:

phone and LFOs are great tools…here’s my take:
dbox (or any synthezised source as opposed to sampled)… grab an LFO with a square wave(experiment), modulate a parameter of your liking - now copy that patch and tweak the LFO ever so SLIGHTLY (or your synth patch) and switch between patches as your sequence(s) plays.

for example I loved modulating the filter mode section in dbox (shift+red) so it keeps switching between different filter modes … as anything in synthesis, it’ll take time to find sweetspots… but switching (very similar) patches was the key discovery for me in getting-semi generative sequences going… what’s the fun in fully generative stuff eh?
hope this helps!

CWO can get pretty glitchy when setting the random LFO to generate some chaos!

Yes around 2-3 depth on the random lfo to modulate dbox for sublte shift then push up past 5 for drum fills of wackiness.
A good tip on synth page is help key and a drum key to focus edits on one drum sound while a sequence plays.normally the edit focus jumps, but locking to one drum is good for manual edits of one drum.good for tuning volumes on the sample page too.
(Edit: I think its help.that or shift and drum key).

Another vote for the phone fx

Random LFO applied to envelope, play with green / blue to tune in to preference. Then activate / deactivate at appropriate times. I like that tip by @tasmansea though. Gonna try that subtle patch copy twaek hack.

You can apply free-running Value LFO to dim-blue parameter (playback direction) then dial speed to ~6. Slowly increase LFO amplitude. At some point sounds will start sporadically cut off, reverse and disappear. The exact nature of these perturbations depends on sound length, pattern, LFO speed and value, as well as how close your shift-blue parameter is to the tipping point (which you can adjust at any time).

Record it all backwards w/ tape breaks :o)

Shameless plug cleverly disguised as a demo of the method I described above:

https://soundcloud.com/sjgambler/tribes-of-the-post-atomic-age

Just recorded it. The drums are the same 8-step pattern running throughout the whole track with no modification or manual tweaks. All the pauses, stutters and so on are generated by OP-1. (There is also a bit of Phone on the second half of the track.)

1 Like

Brilliant thread this!

The new battle is a perfect place to put some of this to use :slight_smile:

Excellent ideas guys. Ill be trying them all.

Keep em coming!

For drums I really like the combination of 2 Finger sequencers, different drum presets and octave up/down (left/right arrows).

You can go pretty far with this…

And remember that Shift + Drums reloads last saved preset ! It’s really powerful when you totally mess with drums parameters, fx, lfos, etc. and need to get back on your feet.
1 Like
And remember that Shift + Drums reloads last saved preset !

Wow, I wasn’t aware at all of this shift-reload possibility on the op-1, thank you so much!

You have the same with Shift+Synth of course.

Pretty useful shortcuts :wink:

the difference between poly rhythm and Poly meter.

in short make two drum tracks

for example in finger.
punch in some notes on a 5 step track and record to tape. then another with only 4 steps. you should have a somewhat evolving drum loop. play with this functionality and you will have endless amounts of evolving drums great to jam along with.

im constantly amazed that many drum machines dont have per track step length. which somewhat enables this. I recommend reading into poly rythm vs meter.
the difference between poly rhythm and Poly meter.

in short make two drum tracks
for example in finger.
punch in some notes on a 5 step track and record to tape. then another with only 4 steps. you should have a somewhat evolving drum loop. play with this functionality and you will have endless amounts of evolving drums great to jam along with.

im constantly amazed that many drum machines dont have per track step length. which somewhat enables this. I recommend reading into poly rythm vs meter.

There’s also “cross rhythm” which kinda means the same thing, haha.

So what’s the difference between those two terms? Kinda the same?

Another synonym: Euclidian.

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/10488/polymeter-vs-polyrhythm

Clears it up… Looks like I been doing polyrythm & not a lot of polymeter. Thanks for introducing me to the notion #boom