Teenage Engineering M-1 Headphone Review // Who exactly are these geared towards?

I’ve worn a few pairs of headphones in my videos and have gotten BY FAR the most questions / comments about Teenage Engineering’s M-1s- hence this breakdown / review!

The video answers a common question about TE products in general: what makes this product interesting and who are they made for?

4 Likes

I have had these headphones now for quite a while and have found them quite useful and apt to the challenge. They are slightly lacking in certain frequencies, mostly the highs, but overall still have a good sound, a small form factor and the boom mic is fantastic. With the OP-Z, OP-1 Field and the TX-6 all having headset compatibility, it’s the perfect arrangement and the tandem possibly is very handy.

I do wish they came with a travel pouch or case. I’ve used other felt bags that came from other purchases to keep them in.

3 Likes

How do you rate the boom mic quality compared to the onboard mic of the Field - for vocals?

2 Likes

I agree with you on the travel case- that would be ideal.

1 Like

IMO the field mic is for sure better.

2 Likes

i commented on your vid on youtube but i’ll paste it here too in case folks don’t make it there:

i’m a big fan of these. for me the m1 is a small practical headphone excellent for phone calls, facetime, and zoom meetings. a lot better than earbuds or ambient laptop mics. i also occasionally use them in a pinch for doodling, sampling etc. surprisingly pretty well built for such a dainty headphone. i’m pretty sure these were a collaboration with aiaia. ← has a similar build design and quality. i’ve used mine daily for around 2 years and haven’t destroyed or lost them yet. i bought an extra pair as a spare just in case i do though, they are that useful to me. i also bought a pair for my 94 yr old grandfather who doesn’t hear very well so that he can use them for facetime ← works well for that. and also had our company purchase pairs for some folks around the office for zoom.

6 Likes

Thanks for adding it here! :slight_smile:

I really enjoy having on ear headphones that are very light weight and foldable, while also sounding and feeling nice. Also the swap-able cable is clutch. I can easily fit them, two of the long coiled cables, and a little bag that has the charge/sync cable, an antenna, and charger into the pouch on a Mimi Antenna case, with a deck saver on the OP-1.

2 Likes

You can use the general purpose colored pencil cases to hold them in, I use my red one I used to use for opz before I got the better opz case.

1 Like

I’ve had a pair of these for about a year now and I love them. I have a few different pairs of headphones and I would say all of my other headphones probably sound better especially for producing music. However, I always pick up and use the M-1’s. I’m trying to put my finger on why. I think it’s because they are lightweight and comfortable when wearing for a long time. I willing to trade off the sound quality for comfort.

That being said they don’t sound bad at all just not as good as my other headphones.

2 Likes

they seem like a good halfway option between earplugs and the still ace Sennheiser Hd25’s.

1 Like

I like these headphones too. I have a tendency to mix with too much bass and get lost fiddling with small details. These things are bass heavy and not very detailed, so they’re well suited for me. I really enjoy the sound signature for causal listening too, and the comfort is great. The Sony MA-900s are the only headphones I’ve found more comfortable.