Tenori-on and OP-1 - Midi connection

Hello guys,
I am a proud owner of a Tenori-On and an OP-1

I like to play with both appart… and those days I am wondering about playing with both together…
Especially, what I think about is using the Tenori-on to control the 4 channels of my OP-1 !
Great.

Do you know if it is possible ?
And if yes, what would I need to do that ?
Would that: http://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/iConnectMIDI1 be enough ?
Is there a better solution ? (less expansive, or more functional ?)

What would you think of this idea ?

A side note: I am totally new at midi stuff… so if you ask me questions, you have to be precise because I’m kind of dumb :slight_smile:

What I would like to do is exactly the contrary of that:
op-1 and tenori on - YouTube
(who, in his right mind, would prefer the tenori sound over the op-1 sound ? really ?)

<3
cheers

Just chipping in here to say I too have an OP-1 & a TNR-W. Picked up the Tenori early (first batch), nice to play with, but better with other kit. Looking to trigger my MG properly with mine soon.

Some Tenori sounds are delicious.

1 channel at a time is all that’s possible via midi,on OP1.
That and trigger starting Tape that can play tracks and loops.
Back to your one channel triggered from TNR -you could use OP-1 drum sampler and place 4 samples or more on different keys then seq them that way.
Yes your Yamaha may work better with a multi timbre machine ,like Korg Electribe 2,that can play 16 voices at once,…but I like that bounce sequencer on Tenori-on and would like to pair it with Tombola on OP1.
Just jamming with both machines (at same time) would be a lot if fun.you could record sequencers of TNR with OP voices one a time onto OP tape which would work.
Waldorf Blowfeld may pair nice with your Tenori ,as it can play multi timbral.

iCM 1 or 4 will do it.
There’s a Kenton box too, but i’ve completely forgot what its called. Maybe someone can help me out there ,or google Kenton midi to USB .

iConnect MIDI 1 is not a USB host and will not work for the setup the guy shows in the video. The iConnectMIDI4+ does this as well as the Kenton USB MIDI Host. The key here is that USB needs to be routed properly, and therefore needs a host to setup what devices are connected.

Some Tenori sounds are delicious.

I know, it was a jock… I am a big big fan of the Tenori sounds… but with OP-1 you can have that kind of sound easily (well, you export your tenori sound bank and then… profit !)

@Spheric_El & @GCF :
Thanks for your answer! That’s very cool of you to take time to answer.
So, I can do midi but just one voice at a time… ok. I have to think if I find a routine that’ll work for me in that case.

iConnect MIDI 1 is not a USB host and will not work for the setup the guy shows in the video. The iConnectMIDI4+ does this as well as the Kenton USB MIDI Host. The key here is that USB needs to be routed properly, and therefore needs a host to setup what devices are connected.

the OG ICM 1 IS a USB HOST.

u are thinking of the 2+ that is not a host

If you click the link, you can see that what he is referring to is the iConnectMIDI1. What you are thinking of is the iConnectMIDI (http://www.amazon.com/iConnectMIDI-Enhanced-interface-MIDI-DIN-MIDI-USB/dp/B004NDLXOW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8). They are two different products. The one he has linked is for iOS or computer connectivity. So iConnectMIDI (discontinued) or iConnectMIDI4+ is what he wants, and not the 1, 2+, or mio.

If you click the link, you can see that what he is referring to is the iConnectMIDI1. What you are thinking of is the iConnectMIDI (http://www.amazon.com/iConnectMIDI-Enhanced-interface-MIDI-DIN-MIDI-USB/dp/B004NDLXOW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8). They are two different products. The one he has linked is for iOS or computer connectivity. So iConnectMIDI (discontinued) or iConnectMIDI4+ is what he wants, and not the 1, 2+, or mio.

ahhh sorry i didn’t click the link obv. thought the ICM1 was the OG

(...) Waldorf Blowfeld may pair nice with your Tenori ,as it can play multi timbral.

I think so too, they must be THE team. I’m thinking about getting a tenori-on as well…but do I need it really?

@mixrasta :slight_smile: it would be nice next to the OP1,playing together.
@stadja you could use tape to collect your layers ,loops and patterns by overdubbing.Also sampling layers seems a good method for OP1.

(...) Waldorf Blowfeld may pair nice with your Tenori ,as it can play multi timbral.

I think so too, they must be THE team. I’m thinking about getting a tenori-on as well…but do I need it really?

I use this setup regularly for some live stuff. With a decent audio interface you can take put the Local mode tenori sounds to play with the blofeld sounds. IMO this is a great combo with the odd ‘chalk and cheese’ style sound arrangement on both devices. I also route the tenori into my Virus Ti 2 with incredibly satisfying results.

Highly recommend
(coming from someone who wanted to sell their tenori last year, think the post for the sale is still up on this forum. Glad it didn’t sell)