The Modular Thread

Oplab is really spotty in terms of CV implementation/integration. Sometimes it works really well, and sometimes it just refuses to do again something it did before.
Just for the record: I was able to send CV from my modular into Oplab, and out as MIDI into laptop, or wherever, successfully. That seemed to work well

I also have the A-192-1 which is not necessary if you have Oplab. My experience with that Doepfer unit was that it works fine if/when it does not receive too much information too fast. Otherwise it chokes, slows down and sometimes hangs up entirely if I send a few streams of rapid CV changes at it… I am not sur what the performance of thenewer A-192-2 is like, never had a chance to try it.

@KrisM thanks! The Aleph is definitely something I want to stay away from. As cool as it is, its too "blackbox" and computery for me. :)
@piotr I have seen your monome in a few gear posts and was secretly hoping you would post here about your experience. Thank you!!

Regarding the op lab -- I have been very underwhelmed by it. Although it has very few options, its somehow clunky and confusing to use. I don't quite understand how it works or rather how to debug it, so I'm never quite sure if its the problem or I am the problem.

You modular is amazing looking!! ...and totally insane at the same time. :) I love that about modular systems, but I know I would be completely lost with them. :) This is a nightmare to me. hahaha

Thanks for the info about the Doepfer unit. I' think the 192-2 still has similar performance issues as the 192-1, although they seem to have drastically toned down the controllable channels. The A-192-2 manual says:

The data generated by the module are transmitted simultaneously to Midi Out and USB. Two or more A-192-2 modules can be daisy-chained via Midi Out - Midi In. Incoming Midi data is merged to the Midi output - provided that the incoming data volume is not too high (because of the limited Midi Input buffer of the module). A Midi keyboard or a second A-192-2 are no problem but please do not try to merge a fully loaded 16 channel sequencer track.

So there is definitely still a limitation on the module. But with less channels available, I would assume its harder to max it out with data.

Another issue is Clock sync. Since the WW/MP modules have CV in/out for clock sync, I would have to send a timed pulse to them from one of my synths that would steal away a track/voice. Also, I don't see anyway to send transpose messages (start/stop), so I would probably have to always to a timed press of play on the MIDI and CV sides of the setup to sync them.

The integration of the WW/MP modules with a MIDI setup is definitely over complicated. However it does seem possible with a little work and some sacrifice of the overall setup.

@piotr, have you tried syncing your op1 to play its recorded tracks, and also sequencing it, all via the modular side with WW/MP?

@Polyoptics Your description of what the Oplab feels like matches mine exactly! I am mainly holding on to the hope that there will be a major overhaul of it and soon!

As to sync I waited for weeks for TE to respond to my inquiry about it, and finally I did receive a note that said that the only way to sync OP-1 to external source is throu the MIDI sync. So, I am thinking that I might get this guy:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/almbusycircuits/dsg/

and hopefully this will provide the sync signal that Oplab and Op-1 can inderstand… I actually sent TE a note asking their confirmation that this module would provide the modular to Oplab sync, but have not heard back yet. It does bug me though that I need yet another conversion gizmo to do something as basic as sync, while Oplab was supposed to provide this “make everything talk to everything” functionality.

These things are SO COOL and will probably push a lot of peeps over the edge into modular land (lookin at you VF):

These things are SO COOL and will probably push a lot of peeps over the edge into modular land (lookin at you VF):

Looks so dope, saw those vids a while back and was on modular grid GASing dream modulars for a few days.

@piotr Sweet that looks like a good module for sync! – I’d love to see some videos of you messing around with WW/MP and your crazy modular at some point. Def be sure to post here!

@Virtual_Flannel – if only it wasn’t so crazy expensive right?! I suppose if you build it up over time its not so bad, but I am a sucker for instant gratification!

Just for the record, the DSG module I linked to above does not allow to sync Op-1 to external sources as Oplab does not recognize DIN SYNC standard. I got the confirmation from TE that OpLab only recognizes incoming MIDI sync.

I see, thanks @piotr

Then I suppose something like this would do the trick for me, since I want to control the master clock from my MIDI gear:
http://www.doepfer.de/a1908.htm

Are you setting the master clock from your modular?

Synthtopia > A life in Waves (let's contribute) > Suzanne Ciani > Ciani : "I'm in love with my Buchla" > what the bell is this thing ? > This and that > Absolutely crazy sounds vs. 15k€

= I must NEVER put a finger in this modular fashion !

= I must NEVER put a finger in this modular fashion !

Even used Eurorack can hurt your bank account. Something the size of an IKEA RAST end table (6U, ie two rows of 3U Eurorack at 84hp wide) can easily cost a few grand depending on module selection.

Alternatively, if you’re handy with a soldering iron, a Paia 9700S (Frac Rack format) will run you about $560 for one row. Iirc mostly just jack soldering these days as the boards are SMD iirc.

560€ is already something…
Mutable stuff seems pretty exciting as well.
But I’d sell the house if I begin to GAS on modules.
:smiley:

I figured I’d post this here to get more modular perspective and because of the fact that I’d eventually like to go modular. At $180. this seems like a basic and inexpensive introduction. I’d also use this box to control CV with my Mininbrute. thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjL4hy0SLiQ

This is his ETSY shop:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/172775282/sonic-architecture-lab-v2-esoteric?ref=listing-shop-header-2

Looks like it responds to 0-15V, I don’t know what “standard” that is (lord knows Eurorack makers don’t stick to spec, either -_- ) You might need to run the MicroBrute through some electronics to feed this thing what it expects, or just let it alone and be happy with what does happen hehe.

Banana cables, 3.5mm, 1/4" its jacks are all over the place o.O But you can more or less integrate anything with anything as long as you have attenuators and some boosters :slight_smile:

Ah, I didn’t catch this till now @krism. Sorry, but I don’t understand half the things you’ve listed

This is my method of connection :
http://www.strymon.net/tag/expression-pedal/

As I put together my modular, the interest is ebbing instead of increasing. I’m not really sure why, but at least I tried it. I have an idea, though. It’s fun, but choosing modules, trying to find them at all to even buy when I think I might like one, it’s pretty frustrating and a little demoralizing. And then hearing them in context with what you have is usually impossible, though you can get an idea, and… yeah. Maybe it’s just not for me, but like I said, I tried. Trying to get my head around building sequencers w/ logic and such, as opposed to buying premade ones (which are way too fast/bleepy bloopy), is also a bit overwhelming despite being able to sorta do it with Max or Pd already. But that I can learn.

I may persevere, though, and finish my 6U case just to be sure. If I can manage to find what I want, I can sell it all for what I paid, or maybe more, anyway. It could very well just be a patience thing.

Until then, it’s all about the OP-1, MicroBrute, Mogees, and Patchblocks. I can cuddle them and love them and wait for my modules to come up for sale or resellers to get in stock.

For me it was almost like at the beginning of my OP-1 experience: it took a while to get into it. But (also like the OP-1) it is not for everyone and I do think it is easier/quicker to get results with non-modular stuff. I had more results to show when I didn´t do eurorack… but I´ve found to love it and whatever works for you and so on :slight_smile:

I´ve started to do demoes for a Norwegian synth/modular shop called Syntesaiser.no and having a blast doing that. So far I´ve only made two:

- YouTube

- YouTube

Also I have ordered a special version of the NES cartridge PR8 as well as the materials and equipment to mod a NES gamepad to be able to be controlled by my Eurorack so that I can sequence my NES (!) from the Sequencer-1! How cool is that! :smiley:

you’ll know if you are damaging something because it will clip and distort to all shit if you hammer the ADC too hard. I’d be more worried about pushing CV into it to use with the Element LFO, but if you’re worried just use an attenuator after the LFO module or smaller values (which are lower voltage)*

*if you break your precious OP-1, I know nothing. Nothing!

Merging this into the modular thread.

Hi,
Just wandering if Eurorack Modular levels are safe for the op-1 input?
Mainly because I’ve been using my modular as a sounds source for my sampler (which is amazing) and also as I’ve been using my lfos on my modular to modulate the ELEMENT LFO via the line in ( which is crazy awesome).
I know the modular can pump out some high levels so I just want to make sure I’m not damaging anything…
Cheers,
A