The Modular Thread

Ha! Well recording it is fine, nice clear levels, but you haven’t filled me with fiat over using cv in the element Lfo, but if recording the line level is fine then using is as a source in the element Lfo should be fine no?

CV = DC

LFO = AC
Audio = AC

I mean the ADC might handle the DC signal, but I just don’t know for certain how it’d react because I’m not an electrical engineer. If someone doesn’t answer, try asking TE? Use “Business” on the contact form for fastest results.

Hmmm…
Ok, yeah it think I better contact TE then.
Don’t wanna hurt my new op

Anyone used any of the sampling modules? Have been thinking of building a small portable modular case to take to live shows that woudl replace my live looping / max/msp setup. I need to do relatively click free reverse looping with pitch shift. was thinking of perhaps a Phonogene or the Tyme Safari II, any advice?

Also, noob modular question, but is there a difference between an envelope generator and an LFO for modulating paramaters?

Coming from a max / msp background, i am used ot using something like a [cycle~] to create a modulation (say for vibrato) then scaling it accordingly. What sort of module am i looking for to do this kind of job?

Cheers,
t

Phonogene is definitely not click free. But has so much character and CV control, that it really becomes more about granular-like mangling than traditional sampling. I really like Phonogene and use it always.

If you are used to modulating with ~cycle then you want an LFO. Which will give you a slower sine, squqre, saw waveforms that you can use as CV modulation sources. There are a lot of options out there for that: from cheap Doepfer to an Intellijel DixieII that cn be used as LFO, but also just a solid oscillator with a good selection of waveshapes.

Of course you can use an envelope generator as a modulation source, but it will be more complex than LFO, and a bit diffrent from the simplicty of using ~cycle or LFO. A good compromise might be Maths, which has a cycle mode that alows it to be used as a sort of LFO modulator, but it also has a million other uses. If you don’t have one, you can’t go worng with that. It will be useful in many ways, and certainly can be a tremendously versatile modulation source…

Phonogene is a blast, especially with the firmware update for “Broken Echo” mode. I initially started my modular as a processor for my Octatrack and OP1 and expanded until it was also self-sufficient. The Phonogene and Maths (along with the Echophon) were my first three modules if I recall. Maths is incredibly multifunctional and, as Piotr suggests, can be used as an envelope, LFO, and a lot of other goodness. If you want a kooky LFO, I really enjoy the Pittsburgh Bender for strange possibilities along with more basic functionality.

Thanks for the phonogene feedback guys! Have either of you )or anyone else) tried the tyme safari to compare and contrast? I must say i think i prefer the look of the workflow of the phonogene, but things 8 bit and lower are nto reall that useful to me so if the TS has got much higher fidelity then i think it might end up getting on with it a bit better in the long run… Of course the answer is get both i guess…

The mod options look many and various. I am more used to LFO’s, the bender looks very cool! I cant quite seem to get my head round the maths, but everyone raves about it so i’ll keep going with the youtube videos :smiley: The main thing is deciphering the jargon in to something i can relate to in max haha! I am more in to the ‘function’ module which seems to be maths but simpler.

I basically just want a bunch (at least 4, two capable of long time periods) different types of envelope so i can make some generative stuff. It doesnt need to be super complex, in fact, the simpler the better as i feel that as a philosophy simple things force you to be creative and having too many options can get in the way!

Having said that i was also pretty tempted by the idea of the wogglebug (makenoise), seemed to have lots of outputs and be geared towards more generative stuff. Again i dont really understand what it does however…

In my head i’m aiming for something like this:

- Audio in (doepfer a-119?)
- Looping (Phonogene or TS, possiby both)
- Modulation (at least 4 seperate sources)
- Foot control / expression pedal (for hands free volume control whilst playing guitar) (possibly ADDAC 301 or Doepfer A-177 )
- Mixer
- Power (is power even a module?)

How does that look to you in the know modular guys. I will do all delays / reverbs with guitar pedals so no need for that kind of thing.

If you’re interested in the Wogglebug, I’d also check out the Steady State Fate Ultra Random Analog. The new Wogglebug came out shortly after I got the URA and I’m still digging into it, but it is pretty dang fun!

New granular processor module from Mutable:

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/clouds/

This dynamics module looks interesting too (EXCITE input):
http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/streams

Oh Mutable Instruments…

Been a huge fan of all Mutable Instruments stuff since my Bhajis Loops days

wow, that clouds module looks great fun! Dont seem to be many in the wild yet however i dind find this which is a rare example of a modular video that is actually pretty musical…

http://vimeo.com/115132620

The Steady State Fate Ultra Random Analog looks cool, but unfortunately as a jargon inept modular person i have no idea what it does other than randomly generate stuff that i'm not sure what it is useful for.

As far as i can tell most modules seem to want 5v CV (so a varying voltage of up to 5v) to modulate their various parameters, this can be provided by an envelop generator or an LFO or anything else that produces a voltage. Am i right?

@aswefallintostatic Now this is a nice piece of music you have posted. Thanks!

Despite spending hours building modular euro systems on sites like https://www.modulargrid.net/
I never did pull the trigger on that likely life / wallet consuming addiction.

This, however, has my attention…

hello.

I’m using 0p-1 with the oplab to control a eurorack.
my need is to send mdi and LFO to CV out but I cant figure out.
the best will be
note pitch–>CV1 out
gate–> gate out
LFO out–> CV2

will need a step by step since I belive i did it all. what mode are you guys using for CV out?

thank you.

Evans

Dunno about Oplab, but this looks like it could be a good way to link the two:

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1.html

Any of you modular rack guys following the exploits of Deadmau5 on Instagram/Twitter?

Looks like he’s caught the bug big-time and with a bottomless wallet from selling EDM to the masses has accumulated a huge collection of modules!

Uh… I will never be able to afford these…just announced…

http://www.moogmusic.com/content/moog-modular-synthesizers

Uh... I will never be able to afford these...just announced...

http://www.moogmusic.com/content/moog-modular-synthesizers

Just saw it aswell! Unfortunately it's nothing but a naughty, naughty dream :(

That Kilpatrick synth looks great.