Thoughts on using Photomatic

Apologies in advance for the size of this post. There seems to be an absence of both information on and examples of using Photomatic so thought there might be some interest in feedback on what it’s like to try and use it in its current build.

Spent some time over Christmas trying to get to grips with Photomatic. Overall it was a mixed bag but probably at least in part because I’m not using it as intended at this stage.

I’ve attached a link to an early version of the little project I was working on in Instagram to help make more sense of the comments below. (Note this is an early version. In later versions I had worked more on syncing the sound and images. I find it easier to see what Photomatic is doing to the graphics with the sound off!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsDJTOfhBsY/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1eux7cffw73h2

Let’s do the good bits first. The idea is very powerful and provides a fun and intuitive way to sync graphics and audio. With a little outside the box thinking I suspect that it could do a load more than appears on fist sight and with some video post processing probably a lot more! I tried using some very simple images quickly flung together in Adobe Draw on the iPad and once I started actually using Photomatic it became clear the a few simple ideas could go a long way. (Note to self stay focused on a few strong ideas avoid too much disjointed clutter!)

There were however a number of downsides that made creating something a little frustrating…

I’m a little unsure who Photomatic is aimed at in its current form. The lack of detail on formats and how it handles images makes bringing in and aligning external content tricky and frustrating for those into iOS image editing. To get good results using the camera as advertised however needs decent lighting, background, and camera/phone mount. This may put people off experimenting and may explain the lack of examples of use outside of TE?

Strange results on importing make accurate placement of images difficult. Resolution doesn’t appear to affect the size of the image just the quality and the portion shown doesn’t align with an edge or corner. I may be missing something really simple but In the end I had to mock up cartesian graph and import the image to gauge where the corners and the centre were so that I could align the other images.

Like all these things once you get a workflow sorted out you begin to get things done and it’s a lot of fun seeing your images begin to move and take on a life of their own. Playing in the images and effects is great bu I suspect learning to sync animations to sound well is a new skill that will take time to learn. (See crap timing above if proof required ?)

My final challenge was trying to record the output and get it in a form that would work as a square frame on Instagram. That turned out to be a nightmare, still not really sure why, but don’t think it’s got anything to do with Photomatic? I did a series of live play throughs with screen capture but once I tried to upload to Instagram the sound disappeared. (This isn’t to do with ringers setting on Instagram or microphone permissions on iOS.) in the end I got one of the early versions to upload and have called it a day at that.

Lots of lessons learned. Next time just a few strong images and spend some time on the timing and the music…?

1 Like

Awesome work. Very thoughtful approach, I admire that.

@Birthcenter said:
Awesome work. Very thoughtful approach, I admire that.

Appreciate the kind words.

Had meant to ask in the original post if anyone else was aware of any resources , discussions on workflow, or examples of Photomatic in use beyond the factory images? I’m struggling to find anything including an Instagram tag and would be keen to see what can be achieved as I think there’s real potential in both Motion and Photomatic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsGg_qwC27F/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1x568vdqyb083

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsHBJlkielv/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1apjp26tlpufl

1 Like

all photomatic! i‘ve Done a live show with it standalone!
OP-Z is a blast! ?

Thx for posting! Any chance you can comment on your workflow?

Are you taking the original shots from within the App or are you importing images you have already prepared. If you’re importing how are you lining different images up to work together?

When you’re importing to Instagram are you simply cutting to size using the Instagram importing tool on your iOS device?

Last one, did you have any issues with sound disappointed when you uploaded to Instagram?

hey, it’s a screen capture made with my IMac, the Sound has been recorded in parallel with a zoom H6.
Transfer via AirPlay. flawless by now

…and yeah i‘ve prepared some custom content

really no one has resize or cropping issues after importing ?

There are cropping issues when importing, though there are also work arounds.

The reason I included an animation with different images in the original thread was to show that you could place images in a frame with some degree of accuracy.

If you create a cross shaped grid and mark off every centimetre in the image editor of your choice and import it into Photomatic you can see where the centre of the frame and each corner is on an image of that shape. If you mark these on your original image with the grid you can import it as a layer in your editor and use it to position any other graphics or layers that you want relative to each other and the frame Photomatic will import.

The problem is that you will still have small errors so you need an App that will crop a video to a frame size to make it all look neat around the edges and centred properly. (The import utility in Instagram does this easily for that platform.)

It’s not the simple workflow you might want but once you’ve set things up it does make it possible to begin to pull some ideas together.

Long story short:
before we‘ve had the gig, we just filled the OP-Z App with screenshots from a graphics/filming project. that was just 15 min before we hit the Stage.
we transferred the images via AirPlay to my iphone, i‘ve then put them to Photomotic one by one and fired them as live visuals!
if you put them straight out of your roll you don‘t have to cut corners or something.
Same on IMac with Screen Capturing.
I couldn‘t believe how straight forward this is…and we’re on an early stage with the OP-Z. ?

@Skipp said:
There are cropping issues when importing, though there are also work arounds.

The reason I included an animation with different images in the original thread was to show that you could place images in a frame with some degree of accuracy.

If you create a cross shaped grid and mark off every centimetre in the image editor of your choice and import it into Photomatic you can see where the centre of the frame and each corner is on an image of that shape. If you mark these on your original image with the grid you can import it as a layer in your editor and use it to position any other graphics or layers that you want relative to each other and the frame Photomatic will import.

The problem is that you will still have small errors so you need an App that will crop a video to a frame size to make it all look neat around the edges and centred properly. (The import utility in Instagram does this easily for that platform.)

It’s not the simple workflow you might want but once you’ve set things up it does make it possible to begin to pull some ideas together.

yeah, i would expect an build in app conversion, or at least specs for photomatic to prepare the photo s before importing, after TE workin
on the OPZ for so long

I’m here a year later with a huge photomatic problem.

I simply cannot load photos from my photo roll. I can capture photos through the camera within the app, yes. But when trying to load existing photos it’s a big no. They just don’t transfer from the library to the app.

I’m pleased to see Jonny ego has had some good fortune and great results with photomatic. I am finding the photomatic app hugely buggy and near unusable.

Is there something wrong with the current OP-Z app build in 2020?

I am also having the same issue, can’t load photos from the app. I tried loading them from OSX but this did not work either, the app does not seem to recognize the images.

I’d really like to screen capture or project live without the numbers at the top, really ruins it for me! Any method available other than cropping after the fact?

Same problem here with the numbers as well as the cropping. @JohnnyEgo the links from Instagram are broken

As of now, the import pictures function is corrected, but the result is useless with those numbers. The bar below can easily be erase during edition, at least