Tombola is more useful than I thought


#1

Ever try this?

Get a bass sound on the Phaser or the FM. Throw some dots in the barrel on tombola and record to tape.
Record new track of drumkit with tombola.
Its like realll cool random jazz, all night, way far out stuff, man dig it.

#2

Chuck us a vid :slight_smile:


#3

Always fun for that.

I like to use Tombola for ambient stuff - use with slow-attack, long-release synth patches. Some tweaking needed of course, so that the notes have time to swell in and decay. Got this idea from old op-1 forum posts.


#4

I love Tombola. But why do notes disappear while it is running and I’m switching between tape, album etc…?


#5

Quantum Tunneling.

Seriously, though, I think it’s just a bug.


#6

Yeah tombola is one of my favorite “tricks” haha. Using it with just sparse ‘jazzy’ drums as a lead up to a song is always great. Superb sequencer lol


#7

Awesome with field recording style material on a drum sampler too. Making crazy textural landscapes with this.


#8

@d3L said:
I love Tombola. But why do notes disappear while it is running and I’m switching between tape, album etc…?

Are you repeatedly tapping on the same note? If you have two balls or more floating around in Tombola, and they’re all middle C, they’ll cut each other off, because it’d be retriggering the same note before the envelope is finished playing out.


#9

@GovernorSilver said:

@d3L said:
I love Tombola. But why do notes disappear while it is running and I’m switching between tape, album etc…?

Are you repeatedly tapping on the same note? If you have two balls or more floating around in Tombola, and they’re all middle C, they’ll cut each other off, because it’d be retriggering the same note before the envelope is finished playing out.

That’s a negative. I’m not touching the keyboard. Just switching from sequencer screen to tape and album to see how long I’ve recorded. I’ll try to make a video.


#10

Yeah I guess I’ll have to see the video to understand what is meant about “notes disappearing” in Tombola. Until I see it all I can offer is that envelope settings, and the settings that control how often the balls hit the wall would make a difference how long a note (ball) sustains.


#11

They literally disappear. Like, you add 5 notes, spin the Tombola, switch to synth screen to tweak parameters, and then after some time you get 3 notes left. I’ve seen it.


#12

@uuniverse said:
Yeah tombola is one of my favorite “tricks” haha. Using it with just sparse ‘jazzy’ drums as a lead up to a song is always great. Superb sequencer lol

I’ve never thought to use this much and not in this way. It’s really amazing. Thanks!!


#13

Here! :slight_smile:


#14

I tried to lose the notes like in your video , but with my op-1 the notes stay in the tombola. Maybe you need to update? Or factory reset?


#15

I think I’ve seen the bug mentioned here before - somthing to do with changing screens while its playing in the background.

I love the Tombola sequencer. Use it all the time for ambient stuff.