Trying to put together small portable rig based around the OP-1

I am in the process of designing a little travel kit that is centered around my OP-1 and iPad Air 2.

I would like it to be highly portable with the least amount of electrical plugs as possible.
I picture the iPad air handling the recording duties and effects. I would be willing to go with a separate digital recorder if it makes using the iPad simultaneously for effects and possibly synths playing at the same time as the OP-1.
My requirements are simple but there seems to be many different options available.
Sound quality is of concern so I was thinking that I would need a decent audio interface that is both small, maybe battery powered and can take a stereo in from the OP1.
I have had my eye on a small portable DAW like the smaller tascam digital porta tracks or the latest Zoom H6.
I guess I would need some sort of interface to get the USB midi in and out from the OP-1 also if I went that route.
Am I over thinking this or should I just stick with the iPad and a simple audio interface with USB to Midi like the iConnect Audio 2.

Anyone has some setups that resemble what I am trying to do here and if so, can you call recommend some products to make this as seamless as possible?

Any info is greatly appriecated.

No need for digital recorder, use your iPad.

OP1 USB -> USB hub
OP1 audio -> Behringer UCA202 -> USB hub
USB hub -> iPad
iPad -> USB hub -> Behringer UCA202 -> OP1
Use app AUM as your iPad mix environment.

Very flexible setup. You can record audio or MIDI between iPad and OP1, apply effects, etc. Watch out for ground loop noise issues, there are cables to fix that though.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Checking out that stuff now.

which usb hub do you use?

I’ve sold my op1 but when I had it used this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/orq/Sabrent-4-Port-USB-Individual-Power-Switches-HB-UMLS/B00BWF5U0M/ref=zg_bs_430443031_34?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C3GG6R01PDQMW655R1VT

Really any hub will do though. You will also need a camera conection kit for the ipad and a means to power the hub. You get USB Y splitter cables that you can use in conjunction with a USB battery bank so you stay portable.

For the ground loop:

https://www.audiomate.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Monacor-FGA-35-Stereo-Ground-Insulator&gclid=CPzUjaHj6MwCFdQaGwodtT0BCA

I actually used this more for direct headphone out -> op1 recording, eliminated all the noise.
1 Like

I’ve got Op1, ipad mini and zoom H6 with CCK and it’s a great combo with AUM. it started as my travel rig, but I actually use that day to day a lot now. Having the H6 is just great for catching jams or field recordings and can work as an audio interface too.

1 Like

The Line 6 SonicPort VX has come in pretty handy for me.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SonicPortVX

No need for digital recorder, use your iPad.

OP1 USB -> USB hub
OP1 audio -> Behringer UCA202 -> USB hub
USB hub -> iPad
iPad -> USB hub -> Behringer UCA202 -> OP1
Use app AUM as your iPad mix environment.

Very flexible setup. You can record audio or MIDI between iPad and OP1, apply effects, etc. Watch out for ground loop noise issues, there are cables to fix that though.

I have the UCA Phono interface… I almost bought the one you recommended but realized that the Phono interface is the same thing if you switch it to line in… Awesome. I wonder if that ground that comes with the Phono can somehow be used to for the ground loop.

OP-1+Volca FM (PO-SYNC on OP-1)

OP-1 > Maschine MK3 > Logic Pro X

Options are near endless when you realize what a lab top can do these days