Tx-6 limiter

Hi:
Any clue how the Tx-6 limiter works? I always leave it on but from what I understand about limiters I should be able to turn all the volumes up and still not get digital clipping, but it really doesn’t work like that… because master does clip if I do that. Have you experienced the same?

Yes, as far as I can tell the limiter is not doing anything right now. I hope it is fixed in the next FW, which I’m hoping for soon. I would LOVE more scenes and a second page of tracks for the sequencer, and I think it would be super cool if you could turn on a mode where the synth could dial in any frequency instead of the current note mode, which I also like and don’t want to lose.

Thanks for answering, I was going pretty mad with this! Can’t understand how they don’t fix this asap

It’s been 5 months and limiter still isn’t working… how is it possible they don’t fix this? Surely shouldn’t be that difficult

give it some more time. they will def fix it. they have many irons in the fire.

On my device the limiter is working fine from the beginning. It is only applied to the master signal. So it does not prevent input clipping.
But if you mix several channels with high volume, maybe even boost some eq, then turn up the master volume to max and i can hear clipping when limiter is off and less clipping when limiter is on. The display shows CLP or LIM on top of the master level bars.

Mmm, interesting… I’m going to double check, but a thing which confuses me is you say you hear less clipping, but shouldn’t it be zero clipping with the limiter on? Also I see red light on my OB-4 which leeds me to think it’s not really working, at least the way I’d use in Ableton, for example. There it would keep the master signal under 0db and never reach the red zone

you should check the pre/post settings or even better…consider to ask TE thru their support survey and report back! :innocent:

they’ll tell you exactly what the limiter is doing on the Output :relieved:

Technically speaking you are correct. There is no clipping anymore and so you cannot hear it. Anyhow the limiters knee point produces distortion products you can hear. So the output will sill sound a bit distorted. But not as annoying as the clipping.

When your OB-4 shows the red led, that means that the input stage of OB-4 is clipping. The TX-6 Limiter cannot do anything there. You need to lower the volume going into the OB-4.

I just checked and I have no difference in sound nor clipping at all with limiter on and off… But at least I noticed in my master screen that it does say limiter :sweat_smile: when it supposedly is working. Maybe will try to contact support…

Btw I just updated to the latest firmware released a few days ago and still isn’t working. Just contacted support, let’s see what they say.

What would you expect it to do?
When there is no clipping before limiting there may be nothing to limit at all, so you don’t notice any difference. When only a few samples are clipped, it might also be barely audible.
It might be useful to test the limiter with Bass only content. Then the distortion products are not masked by other content.
For me it works to play some music from my phone into one input. Make sure the LED of the channel never shows red but sometimes orange is fine. Then boost the bass eq to max and mid and high to minimum. Now i start increasing the master volume from zero to max and turn on and off limiter. Maybe give it a try.

1 Like

TE answer:

thank you for contacting us!

the limiter on the TX–6 is definitely doing something :slight_smile:

in order to verify this, you can: connect a source to one of the inputs> enter the gain page by clicking shift+the track button until you see the gain settings on the screen> crank the gain until you see the meter clipping. now enter the menu>activate the limiter>the meter won’t clip anymore, and you will see the limiter kicking in instead!

this would be quite an extreme example. in a more “normal” user case, when the limiter is active, you won’t hear it in action, as it’s designed to be quite transparent and to catch only the peaks that otherwise would clip your main out. this might explain why having the limiter active could be not very obvious, as it’s meant to be some sort of “invisible safety net”!

2 Likes

yep it works for me too. i think i was expecting it to work in a diff way but this makes good sense. thanks so much for sharing their response

I’ve tried with all six inputs clipping turning the limiter on and they keep clipping… that’s what I would expect a limiter fixed…

The limiter is post output, not pre input. It will explain why you are still seeing clipping/distortion on your line inputs.

It’s clipping in the output, in my ears… I guess it just not does what I thought it should

If you clip on the input, you’re going to be clipping on the output… but maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish though. If you haven’t yet, you may want to try to gain stage your setup to get consistent levels for all of your inputs and outputs across the board.

2 Likes

TE support:

if some transients are faster than the limiter attack, they might not be stopped by the limiter and they can temporarily make the OB–4 input clip.
this should not happen with a steady tone, on which the limiter should always be effective!

Limiters aren’t 100% reliable depending on what you feed in to it. Frequency interactions and resonances can bamboozle a limiter, No matter what limiter. Except maybe limiters with look-ahead.

Is there an issue here that the limiter is’t look-ahead like we’re used to in DAWs these days? Or maybe it is look-ahead? Anyone tested for latency when it’s on versus off?

1 Like