TX-6 update 1.2.10

I did go ahead and get the CM-15 to pair with the TX-6. I haven’t had a chance to sing properly into it, but I set it up in my studio and began dialing in the gain. It certainly fulfilled my hope for a low-noise companion to the mixer.

I ran it at its highest gain with zero trim on the mixer input and it was very quiet indeed. I hear the ventilation of the room and occasionally traffic outside, whereas before I was focused on the mic and amp self noise before I ever felt the room noise was an issue.

Due to its light weight, the handling noise is much more noticeable, particularly the textile-covered USB and 1/8” cables I was using. I solved that with a nice tight Velcro band around the stand.

The little I recorded needed a slight treble boost to give it some sparkle in the DAW, but the mic’s low noise seems to make this OK. I had a metal mesh pop filter in front, but perhaps a fabric one would be better for this mic.

Sound wise, it seems like the equivalent of filming in a LOG profile. Quite flat, but responds well to processing. But it’s far too early to say much more.

3 Likes

What cable are you using to connect your cm-15 to the Tx-6 I ordered this cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JY2C4YO/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A21TE5CLHZDYA7&psc=1

So I can plug the included mini xlr-xlr into this and the. The 3.5 into the Tx-6 and I should be able to record or am I completely fudging this up

You probably want to use an 1/8" to 1/8".

The XLR cable/format is a different standard as well as wiring than what you’re going to get… the XLR output isn’t going to output at line level and the TX-6 does not provide power, and the TX-6 doesn’t have an “XLR” mode. Save the XLR cable for when you are connecting to a mic amplifier or other gear that can provide phantom power.

1 Like

I agree with you that the 3.5mm TRS cable on the CM-15 (essentially an “aux cable”) is the best, simplest way to connect to the TX-6. Also the USB, but usually you want to keep the USB on the TX-6 free for power or connecting to your computer.

I wish I had a cable to check the XLR to TRS jack conversion, though, because I suspect it might actually work. It may not provide line level, but I suspect it would come out at least as hot as a dynamic mic’s signal (because a preamp is built in to the mic after all).

Part of why the CM-15 is so interesting, and presumably also so expensive, is that it has a lot of different things packed in there. The mic capsule, a pre-amp and a digital to analog converter are in there, along with a battery to power the whole party.

Phantom power is accepted by the CM-15, but it’s not required for operation. That’s why we have a battery. I’ve owned two other more ‘traditional’ mics (a Sennheiser and a CAD) with batteries, and that was an important feature. It meant you got a condenser mic without the need for a mixer or a preamp that provides phantom power.

2 Likes

So what your saying is I should just get both cables from Amazon and try them out because one works (tested and tried) the trs cable but i do wanna grab the cable and see if it runs because I feel like you do as in it might work to be honest

Would something like this work Amazon.com

That cable looks fine to me. 1’ might be a bit short, but it looks like a straight cable, and ought to work with the line out of the CM-15 to the line in on the TX-6 perfectly fine.

I don’t have a CM-15, so not able to test, but from what I read and understand that should work just fine for you.

1 Like

i like the 750mm cables from TE webstore. could get them from BH too or their amazon store too most likely.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure that that cable would work. It’s a four contact cable like for mobile phones. I know that mono cables and stereo cables work, but I’m not sure about a four contact cable like that.

I ordered a 15 foot one

Imma get it later to fiddle around with after I finish this project