I’m in the same boat here. Gave the unresponsive key a clean to no avail. Now I have two keys that aren’t responding very well (1 out of 15 times).
Bummer to hear that. I hope we both can get this sorted out soon. Have you reached out to TE per chance? I emailed them as soon as possible this past Sunday. Hoping I hear back soon but I imagine they are not too big of a company and very busy. Fingers crossed.
I haven’t reached out yet. Gonna send an email today though. Having the T1 key was tolerable but having a note key sketch out is unbearable.
Also, it’s probably worth noting that one key stopped working so well about a month ago and the other key stopped working shortly after updating to the new beta.
Sorry to hear about the problems with keys. Hope you get it fixed up. From a selfish point of view I’m hoping thus kind of problem is rare. I already had to send my brand new unit in for repair for a different hardware problem where patch and sequencer would switch/activate by themselves. I always heard that the OP was some kind of modern marvel re build quality etc. Guess we’re just the unlucky ones if any consolation for you guys, T. E were great re response and speed on my repair.
Sorry to hear about the problems with keys. Hope you get it fixed up. From a selfish point of view I'm hoping thus kind of problem is rare. I already had to send my brand new unit in for repair for a different hardware problem where patch and sequencer would switch/activate by themselves. I always heard that the OP was some kind of modern marvel re build quality etc. Guess we're just the unlucky ones ;) if any consolation for you guys, T. E were great re response and speed on my repair.
Apparently it cost £45 in materials to fix the problem I had (was on the receipt thing I got. I obvs didn’t have to pay for it cos of warranty etc. Was just on the receipt for their stock records). So I think it’s a hardware thing. Maybe yours has somehow fixed itself if not happening any more though? Otherwise I’d maybe contact T. E while you’re in warranty as it seems like an OS update prob wont be able to fix it.
Same problem here, Shift was the one to go… It stood daily use for nearly 4 years, we’re quite inseparable! As my warrenty was long over, I decided to go with the iFixit option. I’m no rocket appliances guy, the instalation was very straight forward and hassle free.
My new OP-1 developed the unresponsive key syndrome after a month out of the box. The retailer exchanged it, saying that TE build quality is usually solid. Took the new unit home, and the tempo button stays down unless it’s pressed really lightly. I’m beginning to think that TE quality isn’t as good as some claim. Two problems on brand new products doesn’t seem like a coincidence.
Yeah - unfortunately I firmly believe the TE build quality admiration/hype is unwarranted. I think they’re very good at marketing their products as perfect, over-specified dreams (they love to almost exclusively use rendered images of their products rather than actual pictures of devices off the assembly line) but I don’t think they’re able to keep QA under control any longer (or maybe they never were able to?).
I think people are wising up to them and that’s good, it will hold them more accountable and raise their standards more-so than people lavishing Apple-like praise on them and blindly ignoring their shortcomings.
Brilliant engineers; sound design and workflow leaders; very poor quality control.
Seems like quality control took a nosedive once they hit critical mass and had to offload manufacturing to China (or wherever it’s taking place).
Interesting points here, hopefully it was just a few bad batches and that overall most Ops function as expected.
Update on my situation here is:
TE reached out requesting a serial number so they could see if it was covered by a warranty still or not.
Have not heard back yet since my follow up.
Turns out my mystery trouble maker black key is back to fully functioning again. Really bizarre, as it went from half responsive to not responding at all then to completely normal. If it ends up being covered by a warranty I might see if I can still send it in as I’m worried this will happen again in the future.
Okay, I completely fixed it but unfortunately sliced the rubber bit for the “<” key in the process. A bummer but no big deal.
Sorry to hear Thompost :-/
on the plus side I remember reading that the key beds aren’t too bad to install.
TE Has also been pretty quick with getting back to me
on things so hopefully it will be a pretty speedy process for you
I just ordered a new keybed from TE for £45.