Using the OP-1 in a live situation

Hello forummers,

I’m new here so HELLO! I’ve got a fresh new OP-1 for a couple of weeks now and I’m beginnig to understand how everything works in and outside the op-1. Its a faboulous piece of musical gear. I’m preparing a live set with a looper for my voice, an elektron analog Rytm and an op-1. I had an mpc, but i want to replace the mpc with the op-1… But there are some things in a live situation that I came across that is somehow inhandy…

First, you cannot use the drums and synth engine at the same time? They cut each other off… Or am I missing something
Second, you can only use one pattern or sequence at the same time? So I am now recording everything on tape and play that, but that is somehow difficult to keep that in time

So my question… How do you play the op-1 live…
Ps. I know how I can slave the op-1 to the rytm…
And I am new to the op-1, i’m still exploring…

1 Like

You should go watch some of DJ Thomas White’s videos on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwsTGM-SWus

Basically he’s playing 4 bar loops on the tape over 4 channels. He’s muting channels to ‘break it down’. He’ll play a loop for a while then jump forward/backward in the tape for variations or to jump to the next song.
Then he’s using the M1/2 effects and tape effects (tape stop etc) every now and then.

So it’s pretty much all pre-programmed and it’s more of a DJ style set (kinda like NI’s new “Stem” format).

Then over this you can jam with keys, drums or sequencers - but obviously just one at a time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the answer.

That is a bit of what I do now, I cannot play everything live, I’ve only got two hands and I have more things to do. So now the OP-1 is the slave of my Elektron Rytm and al the loops that are coming from the OP-1 are now recorded on the four channels of tape so I can mute and unmute that. I use the whole tape so I’ve got a lot of loops prerecorded. Sometimes I’m a bit confused and start the wrong loop, I have to rehearse a lot more before I do my gig…

I was wondering the same thing…

Turns out, I have quickly learnt that looping my tape (with different sections being (first created then) added really helps as you can switch between different parts of your arrangement whilst your other track(s) are/is playing, as documented by DJ Thomas White, for example…

This style is much more fun in my opinion as it gives the creator more flexibility and freedom when performing live, especially when only using the OP-1. Plus, it’s definitely more skillful*. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Having previously owned a Boss RC-505, one had recently ordered himself THE beautifully stunning RC-505 MKii to play alongside the OP-1 in live situations. Having had long term experience with the MKi (Original RC-505) using beatbox and a string of other electronic hardware alongside it, the excitement for the MKii (RC-505) is astronomical!!

With extensive experience of the RC-505, I can vouch that the newer beast will be the best and likely more suited as potential prize winner companion to your OP-1! :smiley:

*I will post a question regarding this curious matter at a later time. It’s quite an exciting proposal to the OP-1 Community!