Viable Option for repairing OP-1 Control Board

Alright, everyone, if someone else has already suggested this, please let me know and I will let this post die a proper death. But, I think I have found a viable option for reviving a dead or dying control board. I recently purchased a used OP-1 (my first 1, haha) and it was advertised as having a malfunctioning control board. I do have a new one coming tomorrow in case my fix does not work for the original board. But, here is what you do. Have you ever heard of baking computer motherboards in the oven to “reflow” them? Well, just follow the same instructions you would for that, but with the OP-1 Control Board. I removed mine and put it in the oven at 375 degrees F for 7 minutes, making sure that it was resting against the side of my oven safe ceramic container so that the LEDs and microphone were not in direct contact with a heated surface and waited the 7 minutes. I gave it a few minutes to cool before re-installing and BAM! I no longer had a flaky power switch and the OP-1 now charges consistently. The microphone still functions fine. Obviously time will show whether or not this repair works long term. But, I thought everyone would like to know that this is a fix worth trying on your OP-1 Control Board if it isn’t working.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s a viable repair method. However, I’d be more interested in guidance of how to trace faults back to exact components and how to source replacements without spending $80-and-rising for a pcb that likely costs $10 from TE’s ifixit store.

So, just an update for anyone who would like to know. My fix continued to work for 3 days. I did end up swapping out the baked controller board for the new one I ordered. This did actually improve the overall quality of mic audio. I also discovered that the LEDs on the old one were much dimmer than the new one. I have not swapped boards again to see how the old one is currently fairing. Just keeping it around as a backup. So, the old one is working, but is clearly not in tip-top shape.