Vocode a voice sample?

Hello All,

A question not related to any specific TE gear. If I sampled someone talking in a film, normally I’d need to clear that to use it. But I put the sample through a vocoder would that make it ok?

I’m not talking about mangling and making it unrecognisable so the film owner could never recognise it, I want to preserve the words, I’m wondering if there is a threshold for manipulation that would make it ok?

Likewise is it legal if you impersonate the voice and say the words?

Cheers

I am not a lawyer but youtube can match very difficult to hear patterns, so if is not very distorted I think that the signature of the sound will match. Technically it would be very difficult to do anything from the “owner” unless what you do becomes very famous/viral.

Impersonate the voice will generate a completely different signature, impossible to match to anything, unless what you are saying is somehow trademarked, then it would be fine.

1 Like

Thanks @eried that is really helpful.

These are just some random lines in a well known Hollywood film, not famous statements or slogans, but I don’t want to potentially fall foul of the law. Not worth the hassle.

If I’m going to put the samples through a vocoder then I might also go down the impersonation routine, which will be some silly fun :laughing:

In the worse case you could upload it to youtube in a unpublished link and wait few days to see if the google algorithm detects something. It does not work with phrases tho, only music scores, but it is impressive what it has flagged from some of my dumb personal videos, like a background music almost impossible to hear but the bassline.

1 Like