Volca Sample vs OP-1

@ghostly606 I found the Volca Sample is really better than the Volca Beats.

I found that 100 sound was the perfect number to memorize where the sounds are, they were pretty well organize.

I should sell the Beats, now that you’re talking about this…

@LyingDalai Agreed that the Sample totally outperformed the Beats, but in the end I was happy with neither. My useless memory didn’t help with the sounds, irrespective of how good the organisation was!

@spavetravelmadeeasy i have wanted a microgranny for awhile now. granular stuff gets me super excited. Ive got plenty of gas for it. I havnt bought much gear in awhile though. Im holding out for something to tie all my gear together. I have a hard time continuously performing with the op1. Always stopping and starting. Usually ill do a set that is one or two songs and then the band will come back on. For some time now ive been lusting after an octatrack. It midi links all my things. and can process alll the audio live etc… it should allow me to continuously perform live. as such I havnt bought more sound sources. maybe i could tie everything to my ipad. but then i needa check emails on it lol.

100% agree the volca sample is a far superior drum machine then the volca beats!

i really wish it had alternative tuning or locking them into scales. then it would also be a great bass machine! and ofcourse every volca would benefit from a fullsize device. specifically id love minikeys and full size knobs on the volca keys.

@ghostly606 Original Korg Sample organization works by dozens, so that you have 10 variations of 10 different kinds of sounds.

So once you find your kick between sounds 1 to 10, you choose a snare, a clap etc. and voilà !
Then you can always play with these few sounds you really dig, until you want to some change… Especially with the last half of samples.

Step by step, dear, not everything at the same time !!
:wink:

@masterofstuff124 I think I read somewhere that you can use an external controller to play a sample on a Volca Sample as notes.
Wouldn’t it fit you need ?
What do you mean exactly by “alternative tuning or locking them into scales” ?
Same for Volca keys : plug an Elektron machine on it and a keyboard on the Elektron = expanding capabilities !!

the volca sample as a sampler can change the pitch of any sample. If it could lock it to certain intervals or help me tune them to a scale it would also be a very good bass machine.

@masterofstuff124

Here's a free tip for the Volca Sample :)

Hold down the function key as you turn the tune knob, it will lock to semitones.

Better than nothing!

Oh I didn’t know that !

Thanks @johnl !

me neither! thank you @johnl

@masterofstuff124

Here's a free tip for the Volca Sample :)

Hold down the function key as you turn the tune knob, it will lock to semitones.

Better than nothing!

Sorry to bump such an old thread but this is just what I needed! Thanks @johnl!

Thx mate, I had already forgotten this :wink:

Quick question, but isn’t granular synthesis essentially sampling on a micro level? That’s how I always thought of it, that the grains of the sample become an oscillator?

Yes I would say the volca sample is a great granular synthesizer. But the op1 is better at granular synthesis imo. Ultimately why I sold the sample. But I should pick one up again. Such a great drum machine. If only it made the sampling more accessible. Like you know a built in mic and line in… Such a silly oversight

Yes I would say the volca sample is a great granular synthesizer. But the op1 is better at granular synthesis imo. Ultimately why I sold the sample. But I should pick one up again. Such a great drum machine. If only it made the sampling more accessible. Like you know a built in mic and line in..... Such a silly oversight

Honestly, I thought the same thing, but the Caustic Editor app is so quick, easy and immediate (and has effects) I can record, edit and load a sample into volca in like two minutes. I’ve come to actually like it because I can just use my phone for field recording samples. I use my VS for that so if you are trying to record and load other types of samples, idk…

Don’t overlook the sfx tool in the caustic editor…
If anyone missed it…

Oh yeah and you need both of these white boxes.