Volume change between mixer mode and synth mode

Volume level is so low when I switch from mixer (or tape mode) back into synth mode to adjust the synth parameters that I can not even hear the changes I am making to the synth. Having this problem running out into a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 into Ableton 9.

Also for some reason I only get a signal when the gain for the input on the pre-amp is turned all the way up, as soon as I turn it below max the signal drops completely out…Also the signal was very weak and had to boost in Ableton a lot to get it up to a good volume.

Any help/suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

What are your master levels like? Mixer button, T4

there all at 99. if i adjust them they adjust the level but for some reason its super quiet on drum or synth mode when setting up an instrument then loud in tape and mixer mode

Have you set input level in tape mode? Red knob.

If all your master settings (T4) are at 99 then you’ll be squashing it pretty hard, and your synths will probably be buried due to the lack of headroom remaining in the tape. Try these settings on T4 master:

L-R channel - 96
Drive - 40
Release - 35

This should give you a bit of dirt and grit without smashing it too hard

Your synths and drums should now be roughly equal in volume with your tape input (red knob) set to the default, with the mixer window (T1) having all 4 tracks of tape at 99.

P.s. the stereo output is fairly low and noisy overall, I often boost clip gain once in Ableton to match other sound sources. Other option is to bounce to Album mode and then drag/drop via USB, which tends to be much louder

Defo sounds like a case of what ludicrouSpeed said above…

Ok thank you so much! Will try those setting out today and see what happens!

Red Knob in tape mode is set. I think millbastard is probably on to something though

still having the same problem millbastard…any thoughts?

it made it relatively louder but also made the mixer mode louder as well

@spinradical two Q’s:

is it when other elements are playing on the tape, or when playback is stopped?
Is it only certain synths, or all patches (synth/drums/samples)?

The OP1 has relatively low headroom, which means once you have drums and bass playing other elements can get really squashed. This is IMO one of the hardest things to come to grips with the OP as it means you have to compose differently to a high-headroom device (like a DAW), however it also gives the OP it’s signature sound I think.

If you have a gentle sounding synth patch that sounds good in Synth mode, but then switch to tape mode and it gets swallowed up, it could be from this lack of headroom. You can check this easily by playing back the tape, comparing the volume of the synth in Synth mode, then Tape mode, then hitting Stop on the tape and seeing if the volume changes.

You can “improve” on this lack of headroom by turning the Drive in the master section all the way off, the L-R channels all the way up, and release to anything beyond 50.

If you have a synth that sounds a decent volume in the Synth page, then switch to Tape (without the tape playing back), and the red knob is not allowing input unless set to maximum, then you may have an issue with your OP. TBH it sounds like a setting thing though

@Millbastard be so smart

@Millbastard be so smart

S-M-R-T <span style=“font-family: “Helvetica Neue”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;”>¯_(ツ)_/¯

@spinradical two Q's:

is it when other elements are playing on the tape, or when playback is stopped?
Is it only certain synths, or all patches (synth/drums/samples)?

The OP1 has relatively low headroom, which means once you have drums and bass playing other elements can get really squashed. This is IMO one of the hardest things to come to grips with the OP as it means you have to compose differently to a high-headroom device (like a DAW), however it also gives the OP it's signature sound I think.

If you have a gentle sounding synth patch that sounds good in Synth mode, but then switch to tape mode and it gets swallowed up, it could be from this lack of headroom. You can check this easily by playing back the tape, comparing the volume of the synth in Synth mode, then Tape mode, then hitting Stop on the tape and seeing if the volume changes.

You can "improve" on this lack of headroom by turning the Drive in the master section all the way off, the L-R channels all the way up, and release to anything beyond 50.

If you have a synth that sounds a decent volume in the Synth page, then switch to Tape (without the tape playing back), and the red knob is not allowing input unless set to maximum, then you may have an issue with your OP. TBH it sounds like a setting thing though

Being a “Kitchen musician” has it’s perks for me. Was working with music for like 10 years, but still found basic thing you explained here quite insightful.

@Konst glad I could help mate! The low headroom really plays into the sig sound of the OP I reckon, and not knowing about it can make it seem “low quality”. That is, until you use it to your advantage. Then you can easily come up with textures and grooves that are really difficult to achieve in “transparent” gear (DAWs, etc)

@Konst glad I could help mate! The low headroom really plays into the sig sound of the OP I reckon, and not knowing about it can make it seem "low quality". That is, until you use it to your advantage. Then you can easily come up with textures and grooves that are really difficult to achieve in "transparent" gear (DAWs, etc)

Yeah, revisting my previous music I found that I tend randomly record everything loud and sometimes quiet, approximately at 1/3 of the loudness. And leaving more dynamic range allows to more expressive stuff to be done. However, modern music is all about pumping the volume up, so sometimes listeners tend to think “too quiet” before the loud part kicks in. But I also think it’s a matter of arrangement: some sounds are perceived louder than others, even if they are technically quiet enought.

Hey @spinradical - still got this problem?
What you describe is opposite to what we experience with OP-1.
It sounds like you have a cable problem that phases out when you hit centre pan ie switch from mixer to synth.
Check your cable is a stereo tip/ring/sleeve connected to OP-1 and is then splitt into two mono connections (tip/sleeve) into your mono inputs on your sound card.

I came onto this having a similar problem and wanting volume to be consistent for live performances. I bought a cable that sums the stereo channels into 1 mono. This fixed it for me. I’m sure having the stereo split into two mono channels could work as well.