Want some low-hanging fruit with new OP1 > USB Audio > iPad setup

I am struggling to get the op-1 to work with an iPad and it’s pretty much another nail in the coffin for the OP-1 for me.

So, I plug a usb c hub into the iPad (hub is powered has a 3.5mm jack and two usb sockets), I connect a speaker to the hub and run iTunes and a couple apps (piano, synths etc) and that rig up works… music/sound comes out of the speaker.

Now I introduce the OP-1… I plug the op into one of the hub’s USB ports with the original op1 usb cable and notice it starts to charge the unit - I switch on the OP-1.

No sound from the iPad.

I try a couple options on the OP-1 and I can send midi signals and trigger keys etc in some apps - but no sound from the iPad or the op’s speaker.

I then spend ages trying to get Cubasis to record sound from the op’s tape to no avail… I can record midi notes but can’t hear what I am playing… only when I unplug the op-1 can I hear anything from the iPad.

So at this point I can’t even use the op as a ctrl surface for iPad apps because it kills the audio?! And I can’t record audio into Cubasis… so it’s basically useless at this point.

Now I am probably missing something but it’s not exactly plug and plug? Maybe I am spoiled because when I plug my mc101 into Cubasis I get 4 tracks of audio and midi and sound out the iPad with no hassles :man_shrugging:t2:.

The op has always been quirky for me so I am running out of patience :joy:

This isn’t the OP-1’s fault. It’s the iPad.

The iPad can only connect to one USB audio interface at a time. You are using two—the hub’s headphone jack, and the OP-1. The iPad will use whichever you plug in last.

Try connecting your speakers to the OP-1’s headphone jack instead. That should work.

Also, Cubasis audio routing is confusing. Try AUM or AudioBus if you have them, just to make sure everything works. Then try with Cubasis.

What ipad model is everyone using? There are some cheap ipad mini 2s going around at the moment and I wondered how useful that might be for a really simple set-up.

I’m not very good with cables, connector types etc.

I was thinking of buying an Ipad Air (4th Gen) for some back & forth recording with my incoming Op-1.

The Ipad Air has a USB-C connector. Will i be able to record directly to & from the Ipad / Op-1 with this cable? USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple (UK)

I have the lightning to usb camera adapter kit for for using my iphone. Just assuming the cable mentioned above will work the same between the USB-C Ipad & Op-1.

By the way, how do you monitor the audio on the Ipad if you have the cable attached?

Thanks for any advice!

Refurbished iPad mini 5
256GB

You can use any USB-C to miniUSB cable. That adapter you linked to should work too.

You will monitor all the audio via the OP-1’s headphone jack.

1 Like

Doh…Yes of course!

Thank you.

1 Like

@JRJulius you mentioned fixing the double trig’ing of the OP-Z… mine is getting rather annoying at its 3 year mark. I’m wondering if you could share what you did to resolve the [unintended/unexpected] double/triple trig behavior?

Deoxit D5 did the trick for me and many others. Here’s a post with some backstory: https://www.reddit.com/r/OPZuser/comments/oxrga9/opz_doubletriggering_success_story_and_cautionary/

My recommendation is to take off the backplate, remove the battery and module, spray some D5 into a bowl, and use a q-tip to add a few drops to the problematic button on the front panel. Press the button 20-30 times to work it in, then leave it sit until all the excess has evaporated. I applied too much cleaner and a bunch of my buttons got mechanically stuck while it evaporated — the problem fixed itself and now all my buttons work perfectly, but that was a stressful five-day wait.

I used the D5 back in August and almost all of my keys still work perfectly. I’m probably going to put a drop into the black 2 and 4 key next week but they’re still usable so I may wait.

Good luck!

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. I was actually contemplating just spending another $600 to make the issue [hopefully] go away by just buying a new unit, but this is much more affordable to give a shot, first. Thanks again! :smiley:

1 Like