What are some good external microphone options that will allow me to record directly into the op1?

Have you thought about on of these mobile recorders?
Something like the Zoom H2n should work.

“The H2n Line Out is a stereo ⅛” phone jack with dedicated volume
control. Headphones can be connected to this jack for private monitoring
of the input or recorded signal."
(https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h2n-handy-recorder)

Even if the input signal isnt directly routed to the line out (you have to check that), you could record to the internal SD-card and then rerecord the playback to the OP1 via a connection between the line out to of the recorder and the line in of the OP1. <br>This way... you arent limited to 6 or 12 seconds.

1 Like

Got an iPhone? Get one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=754979&gclid=CLWbwZzgoMkCFU-QHwodYikOkw&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

…run it into a CCK, then line out to the OP.

Now, not only do you have a mic solution, but one with a plethora of possibilities, RE: reverbs, echo, etc.

Have you thought about on of these mobile recorders?
Something like the Zoom H2n should work.

"The H2n Line Out is a stereo ⅛" phone jack with dedicated volume control. Headphones can be connected to this jack for private monitoring of the input or recorded signal."
(https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h2n-handy-recorder)

Even if the input signal isn`t directly routed to the line out (you have to check that), you could record to the internal SD-card and then rerecord the playback to the OP1 via a connection between the line out to of the recorder and the line in of the OP1.
This way... you aren`t limited to 6 or 12 seconds.

Yep this works like a charm :slight_smile:

I’ve got a Zoom h2n and it’s awesome.
You can plug it as an external mic on the op-1, or record on the fly on the sd card everywhere you are !

Quality is pretty nice imo :slight_smile:

Thanks for the confirmation @quarantequatre.
Might be useful for some people.

+1 for the h2n. I’ve used mine with the OP-1 and Octatrack too.

I know this is an old thread, I wanted to give an update that is not in the comments as of now. The issue the Original Post had, and that was not really addressed by any response, is understanding ‘gain staging’.
The OP-1 audio input is line live, it will take a hot signal with no issue, like say the headphone out jack of your phone, but you need a boost in gain for lower level signals, like many of the microphones people have tried in this forum. A lavalier mic can be hot, IE: it can have a lot of gain (at least many), in contrast the Rode Videomic Go has a very low gain level, so you need a boost. The easiest way to not only achieve boost for one mic, but for lots of mics and other sources, is to use a mixer, or even a preamp. As long as there is a nice hot/high gain signal coming out of that little 1/8" jack, you are good to go, and just about any mixer will get you there. I have used the ‘sub out’ of a couple different mixers, I like this option because I can assign just one channel to the sub and still monitor everything on the main mix, I can sample one source or multiple sources at once, maybe I want to take two separate passes with my guitar and my vocals but I play better if I do both at the same time, no problem.

A super good workaround, if anything has a headphone jack, that is a good high gain source for the OP-1. I’ve used the headphone jack (which is just a little preamp) out of a couple of different practice amps, an Orange 35RT, an Ampeg BA 110, even a Blackstar Fly battery powered mini bass amp! You can also get a signal from the headphone jack on an HX Stomp, an Ampeg SCR-DI, anything with a headphone jack! Even one of those inexpensive Behringer personal monitors would give you great gain staging for all the regular microphones you already own! In contrast, if you re looking for portable, most field recorders/portable recorders have a headphone out and you can work with that.

I wanted to share this because I beat my head against a wall for about a week when I couldn’t get any of my transducers or contact mics, let alone a Shure SM57 or one of my nicer mics through an XLR-1/8" mini cable to get a signal into the sampler or the tape or the record. Hope this helps the next person. Cheers!

2 Likes

Nice.

I personally use a H4n that I also bring with me for field recording. A decent quality portable recorder can also be used as a sound card, or preamp for high quality microphones.
And of course can be used to record a jam.

A really good investment, IMO.

FYI the H4n is far from perfect: it scans the whole SD card at startup, so I use a 4GB one.
The user interface could be more friendly, although it is clear enough.
And the date resets each time you change the batteries.

Somebody experience with Rode Lavalier go ?

i tried today the Rode lavelier go, but it did not work. it requires power.