What happened to the MPC Live?

Just curious about your opinions.

Anyone get it?

It looked pretty awesome when they announced it.

Did it end up being the magic box that could?

Any op1ers on here will be able to give me a better perspective than all the YouTube videos in the world…

Cause if you’re an op1 guy, then we understand each other, yaknow…

PS. Tried to write “yaknow” one word and it keeps trying to autocorrect to “yak now”… Immediate yak, plz.

I was super interested in the MPC live when it was announced. Was looking for a more traditional sketch pad to combo with op1 and it looked ideal. Didn’t have money at the time tho to order pre-release and then they hiked the price and then Beatmaker 3 dropped on iPad at an introductory price that seemed like a no-brainer to check out. Very similar feature set. Ended up killing any gas I had for the MPC and I bought a more powerful iPad (was on a mini2 and copped a 2017 9.7" 128gb).

Endless modulation in comparison (and more confirmed to be added), AUv3 integrated synths like Zeeon + Model 15, high quality/whacked out AUv3 fx, integrate granular apps like idensity, fast and frequent updates and transparent devs. Etc…Yeah, it needs externals if you don’t wanna hit glass but for me iPad and op1 is pretty much portable scratch pad dreamteam… And for sampling I use a Roland duo ex. Akai would have to add TONS to the MPC OS for me to become interested again in copping one…

Also, via familyshare my daughter now has an iPad that is stacked with great music apps that didn’t cost anything, which was a nice result (and I can sometimes borrow it and instantly kinda have 2 x MPC live equivalents for the price of one… Kind of…)

I was super interested in the MPC live when it was announced. Was looking for a more traditional sketch pad to combo with op1 and it looked ideal. Didn't have money at the time tho to order pre-release and then they hiked the price and then Beatmaker 3 dropped on iPad at an introductory price that seemed like a no-brainer to check out. Very similar feature set. Ended up killing any gas I had for the MPC and I bought a more powerful iPad (was on a mini2 and copped a 2017 9.7" 128gb).

Endless modulation in comparison (and more confirmed to be added), AUv3 integrated synths like Zeeon + Model 15, high quality/whacked out AUv3 fx, integrate granular apps like idensity, fast and frequent updates and transparent devs. Etc…Yeah, it needs externals if you don’t wanna hit glass but for me iPad and op1 is pretty much portable scratch pad dreamteam… And for sampling I use a Roland duo ex. Akai would have to add TONS to the MPC OS for me to become interested again in copping one…

Also, via familyshare my daughter now has an iPad that is stacked with great music apps that didn’t cost anything, which was a nice result (and I can sometimes borrow it and instantly kinda have 2 x MPC live equivalents for the price of one… Kind of…)

That’s very compelling. I think for me, I’m pretty happy with using Ableton on my laptop with a small soundcard, coupled with my op-1…

I wonder how much Beatmaker 3 costs.

Yeah, MPC Live just seems kind naff. Kinda like a DAW, but less easy to use… Not that much smaller than a laptop with a small sound… Not really stoked on it… Touchscreen graphics look kinda naff… I know that usability is really the thing to care about, but as any OP-1 fan knows, a sexy interface which IS highly functional is a real joy to behold.

I was super interested in the MPC live when it was announced. Was looking for a more traditional sketch pad to combo with op1 and it looked ideal. Didn't have money at the time tho to order pre-release and then they hiked the price and then Beatmaker 3 dropped on iPad at an introductory price that seemed like a no-brainer to check out. Very similar feature set. Ended up killing any gas I had for the MPC and I bought a more powerful iPad (was on a mini2 and copped a 2017 9.7" 128gb).

That’s very compelling. I think for me, I’m pretty happy with using Ableton on my laptop with a small soundcard, coupled with my op-1…

I wonder how much Beatmaker 3 costs.

Yeah tbh I’d still rather use laptop over iPad for daw stuff that’s in the MPC/BM3 area. It’s cool to pick it up and mess with on the sofa or in bed. OK for an ideas scratch pad but falls somewhere in a grey area. Not as inspiring as OT/op1/organelle etc and not as convenient/fluid as using a permanently connected mature Daw + controllers. Maybe that’ll change after some updates but for now it’s not quite on par…

If you’re committed to sample based music, especially hip hop, the MPC Live is an incredible device. Things are quiet here, but there’s a lot of enthusiasm among those that bought.

Yeah, MPC Live just seems kind naff. Kinda like a DAW, but less easy to use... Not that much smaller than a laptop with a small sound... Not really stoked on it... Touchscreen graphics look kinda naff... I know that usability is really the thing to care about, but as any OP-1 fan knows, a sexy interface which IS highly functional is a real joy to behold.

First of all, stop saying “naff”. :smiley:

Anyone who appreciates the OP-1 for the workflow associated w/ a dedicated piece of hardware should get what’s great about an MPC. You should actually try one. Have you ever worked w/ an MPC before? Because this is basically that celebrated workflow, plus about 100x more.

Just like the OP, the immediacy of a dedicated piece of hardware blows DAW work out of the water. I promise you I’ll have 5 beats of heat going on that device, before you get your samples chopped on a notebook DAW.

Yeah, MPC Live just seems kind naff. Kinda like a DAW, but less easy to use... Not that much smaller than a laptop with a small sound... Not really stoked on it... Touchscreen graphics look kinda naff... I know that usability is really the thing to care about, but as any OP-1 fan knows, a sexy interface which IS highly functional is a real joy to behold.

First of all, stop saying “naff”. :smiley:

Anyone who appreciates the OP-1 for the workflow associated w/ a dedicated piece of hardware should get what’s great about an MPC. You should actually try one. Have you ever worked w/ an MPC before? Because this is basically that celebrated workflow, plus about 100x more.

Just like the OP, the immediacy of a dedicated piece of hardware blows DAW work out of the water. I promise you I’ll have 5 beats of heat going on that device, before you get your samples chopped on a notebook DAW.

Dunno man, Ableton is pretty killer for chopping/sequencing samples these days since they updated the sampler. Not knocking the MPC, if I had one I know id enjoy it. But just not sure it would take me anywhere that ableton/BM3 don’t already. Whereas op1 and ot definitely steer me off track in their own inimitable way.

I have been thinking of getting either the Mpc Live or Octatrack, but would mean selling my Digitakt & Sp404sx.

I used to use a mpc2500 and once you get your head around an Mpc they are a real powerful bit of kit.
They are a workhorse though, not super inspiring but very capable.

Mpc Live + Op1 would be pretty rad I reckon

Mpc Live + Op1 would be pretty rad I reckon

I can vouch that.

I have BM3, and I can tell you that the interface is FAR more convoluted than working w/ an MPC Live. Also, the MPC trucks along w/o a hiccup, no matter what I throw at it. If you can get 20-30 tracks going on BM3 without problems, please send me a vid. I’d love to see it.

For me, the biggest drawback to iOS music is all the audiobus / iAA crap you have to deal with, and all the… shall we say… “less than cooperative” relationships between apps that crop up.

The iPad has its place in my collection as an instrument, and a sound source. But using it to bring disparate elements together into one unified project is an excercise in frustration.

By the time I have everything clicking, my inspiration Is seriously depleted. I love designing a cool couple of sequences in Sector or Samplr, but in the end, I feed it all into the MPC.

Yup, ios still feels like a year or two from being totally fluid for full on production… but AUv3 is your friend :wink: Simple as loading a plugin or soft synth in a daw. I totally swerve anything that uses IAA or audio bus. Waaaaay too stressful/buggy…

BM3 VS MPC looks kinda even… pros and cons both ways in terms of functionality. But the price is a very different story :wink: I’m sure I’d dig MPC live but my hardcore gas for it, weighing up selling stuff to buy one, was pretty short lived. Maybe I’ll cop the the next one tho if it has more cpu for on board synths and has warp markers, better fx and more modulation etc by then. The hardware ‘all in one’ interface and PC daw integration definitely appeals… Akai pretty nailed that side of it.

If you're committed to sample based music, especially hip hop, the MPC Live is an incredible device. Things are quiet here, but there's a lot of enthusiasm among those that bought.

Ok, good to know. :slight_smile:

iOS would only work for me if I could erase all other functionality and even then would have to get dedicated controllers. Same goes with working on a computer too for me. Having said that I find the MPC Live quite uninspiring, new Akai stuff is pretty bland imo. Just my tuppence worth.

(sorry for the negativity, think I need a coffee!! :smiley: )

Regarding BM3 and the like - its super easy finding tutorials on it but much harder finding finished tracks (or anything) with it on youtube. Speaks volumes.

Thats kinda inevitable tho? Would be like someone filming a finished track playing back in Ableton… No fun to shoot or watch :wink:

iOS would only work for me if I could erase all other functionality and even then would have to get dedicated controllers. Same goes with working on a computer too for me. Having said that I find the MPC Live quite uninspiring, new Akai stuff is pretty bland imo. Just my tuppence worth.

You should try one.

It sounds like there is a workflow mismatch. I really want one of the new MPCs, but I can’t justify it at this time. Dunno about the Live, but I get the idea Akai is trying to own the standalone production sampler again. That’s a different space than most of the gear we talk about here. I mean, “bland” -? it should be, imo, as long as it has all the facilities to help you process the material. Personally I don’t expect much creative support from one of these, just a solid set of tools and a solid workflow.

It’s certainly not for everyone, but as long as I have disposable income, it will be one of my targets. The creative stuff is more important for me right now, and who knows, maybe something else will cure me of my desire for one, but I sort of doubt it.

You should try one.

Have had an MPC500 and MPC1000 in my time, weren't for me and the Live even less so. And I'm happy with what I've got...
It sounds like there is a workflow mismatch. I really want one of the new MPCs, but I can't justify it at this time. Dunno about the Live, but I get the idea Akai is trying to own the standalone production sampler again. That's a different space than most of the gear we talk about here. I mean, "bland" -? it should be, imo, as long as it has all the facilities to help you process the material. Personally I don't expect much creative support from one of these, just a solid set of tools and a solid workflow.

It's certainly not for everyone, but as long as I have disposable income, it will be one of my targets. The creative stuff is more important for me right now, and who knows, maybe something else will cure me of my desire for one, but I sort of doubt it.

I’ll say this; the process, from sampling, chopping, assigning, performance, effect automation, arrangement to export is the full package, and the final exported song sounds GREAT. If you’re into sample-based production, there’s really no debate. It’s a home run.

I like that I can set the legacy effects (SP-1200 / MPC 60 / 3000) to the line in, so when I sample from vinyl, I get that old grime.

I think it's generational, too. For me, no sound tops that early-90's boom bap grit. It's really the genre I'm most committed to, and the MPC is the workflow I love.

Shy of the OP, that is.