What is ABS & REL in MIDI Mode?

When you set OP-1 to MIDI mode, there are 2 parameters that can be adjusted that aren’t explained in the manual:

1) What are ABS and REL, and which one should I choose?

When I did a keyword google of “MIDI ABS REL,” almost all results on the first 2 pages were relating to DJ gear.

2) The White Encoder enables two options (a keyboard and the text “MIDI CC”). What do they do, and is one most ideal for most circumstances?

Thank you for any help.

Absolute - actual value
Relative - added/substracted from current value

Absolute - actual value Relative - added/substracted from current value

I did find what they stand for, however, I don’t understand how they work, and what I should be using for the OP-1. Most of the google results were discussions of DJ gear.

Thanks.

It’s all about using the OP1 as a midi controller of external gear and nothing to do with using OP standalone ,as far as I can tell.
To do with the behaviour of the knobs when controlling something else ie jump to actual value of new knob movement (from one stored in memory of,say, software daw) vs add knob movement to stored value in memory.
Your 2nd question looks like more midi control options for external gear.Im not really sure but not something I need at mo, until I start controlling Ableton with OP.(It has a special mode for that anyway).
I just use basic midi in normal OP-1 mode to control other gear via midi.Like keyboard note on message ,maybe triggered by a sequencer (Finger/Enless/Tombola).So this stuff you are researching hasn’t been on my radar,doesn’t get used (yet).

To do with the behaviour of the knobs when controlling something else ie jump to actual value of new knob movement (from one stored in memory of,say, software daw) vs add knob movement to stored value in memory.

Ah! It’s a bit of an abstraction for me since I’ve yet to put this in use, but I think your example mostly cleared it up for me. Thank you.

I know this has been done to death in some pretty epic threads here and on the past forum as well.

The thing is, after reading through the Definitive thread a few times, I still haven’t seen what I’m hoping to be able to find.
That is a bit of a step by step for a doofus like me.

If there were a kind soul who could spell out specific settings I’d be wise to look at in order to get my op-1 to simply control a nyx via say…the tombola sequencer, I’d be most grateful.

Here’s what’s in front of me:
op-1 usb midi into a Kenton. Kenton din midi out into nyx connected into midi in (audio out from nyx to soundcard)
op-1 in com section under ctrl tab…here’s where I get lost.
- blue knob settings really not of interest here, correct?
- green knob sets channel. But none of the 16 seem to offer any difference from one another when enabled/dialed in
- white knob sets either keys to control the nyx or midi cc’s, via the midi cc’s LFO, correct?
- tombola is running on op-1…no control of nyx
- tape is running…no control of nyx

any help is appreciated.
@needles, best not to hijack this thread. that said, the OP1 sends notes out so Tombola should work right away. The OP1 also sends midi CC 1, 2, 3, 4 from the encoders, on the channel specified in MIDI config. that's all afaik. DIP switch config in the Nyx manual. from what I could see only one knob would work - the one that sends modulation. on the ctrl screen, white knob sets the < and > keys to change octave or to send midi CC (41, 42)

Thanks, eesn. I appreciate you chiming in.