What's the use of OP-1's SR/BR?

I’m newbie here. Purchased OP-1 in second hand about two weeks ago.
I was surprised that OP-1 has pretty good converter on its size. (24bit 96khz)
But as I use it constantly, I wonder what the use of these high quality converter?
As you guys know OP-1 can import samples only in 44.1/16 format, also the bounced tracks and albums too!

So how do you guys think about these topic?
I think it’s super overspec.
Anyway, happy to know forum like this.

Is this dependant on tape speed?

2 Likes

That may just be marketing BS. They may be quoting the maximum sampling rate and depth supported by the codec. It does not mean it is actually used for anything, i.e., the codec may be configured to operate at a lower setting or the extra bits discarded.

Apparently the ensoniq eps classic also has a divergence between converters and sampling rate. 16 bit converters with 13 bit sampling rate. Given that was 1988, it could be explained by technological and cost constraints of the day.

Could a software update possibly allow for 24bit sampling on the op?

no, some of us like our sounds with fewer artifacts, especially when pitched.

As I remember, it has 24/96 DAC & ADC
Does it means just codec? I’m not expert in that but I dont think so…

I wish that could be happened but I think it’s thin.
Because of the internal memory size. It’s so small.

And I feel like TE got abandon the OP-1. They’ve could develope the supporting softwares. But it still lives in the early 2010s when they released it.

what’s the use of 24/96 quality size down to 16/44.1 though?
is there any adventage when oversamples the low BR SR sample?

some of my thoughts:

Effects and mixing could be running internally at 24bit or higher. (I bet it’s computing 32 bit internally)

Ideally you want your whole DSP chain to be running higher than your final rate/depth; otherwise you’re losing data at every step you have to downsample, or you’re padding everything down to keep headroom, effectively lowering your bit depth.

Limiting to 16bit to the tape might be for memory reasons, vs computational reasons. But then as soon as you’re doing mixing or effects, you benefit from processing them at higher rates/depths.

Audio is ubiquitous enough that it might be just as easy to source a 24/96 converter as a 16/44.1 chip, and minimal extra cost for comparable noise, linearity, etc. So might just be a “why not” sort of choice.

3 Likes

Now I got it. Since I do my track in my DAW, it seems I could consider switch to OP-Z.
Hopefully revision of OP-1 will support 24bit audio files.
Thanks for your comment beefinator!