When sending MIDI notes from tracks 1-8, how to not also trigger internal sounds?

Hi everyone.

Am I missing an obvious thing here? I want to send MIDI from one or more of the main sequencer tracks but not also trigger internal sounds, is there a way?

Now, I KNOW I can turn the volume down all the way, but this isn’t ideal as I may be using a CC on the control. What I’ve also been doing is using a very small sample of silence just in case, but this is still triggering a voice so may cause brief note stealing. It would just feel a lot better to simply switch off the internal MIDI for a track.

Thanks for any tips / strategies.

Yes, you can do this from the Mixer page (see 8.5 here: OP-Z guide: mixer)

1. Hold down the Mixer index button
  2. Tap/Press Shift. Tracks will flash red and Shift will be highlighted in red.
  3. Every track you press will turn red, indicating it’s not sending audio to the Master. It will still send MIDI but audio also comes through Line Out, FX1, FX2, and Tape if those sends are enabled.
1 Like

Thanks but it’s internal MIDI that I want to mute.

That mutes audio channel for the main output but I it that actually stops notes triggering (I suppose I could test it by unmuting while a note is playing), it certainly doesn’t if the sends are up at all, which again may not be avoidable if using CCs on those controls.

What I’m looking for is if there is a way to completely stop internal notes from being triggered when sending notes to external MIDI on those tracks. The issue is mainly to avoid potential potential voice stealing, but also just wanting a proper solution, I feel that there should be a way to send MIDI notes out only.

From the guide:

it is possible to mute only the audio signal sent to the master bus. the track will still output midi and audio signal to the effect and tape tracks.
[…]
while holding the mixer button, press the shift key. the shift key will light red. now when muting tracks they will turn red when muted. this will mute only the track audio but not the outgoing midi.

I use this often to accomplish exactly what you’re describing. Yes, the limitation is that you’ll want to avoid adjusting the green and blue encoders on the 4th page but I don’t think that’s a huge limitation because you still have the remaining 14 CCs to assign. It’s possible that I’m just misunderstanding what you’re trying to do, though.

Edit: I just re-read this post and worry about its tone–I was trying to be direct because I struggle to communicate clearly about this stuff but it might have come across as rude. I’m happy to help and hopefully you don’t mind being patient with me

1 Like

I appreciate the attempt to answer the question but if you read the posts it should be clear that silencing the internal sounds is not the issue exactly - I explained I had ways of doing that, and I know about audio muting.

What I’m looking for is if there’s a way to stop notes being triggered internally, even if they are not producing audible sound, to actually mute the internal MIDI on that track. It seems like there should be a way to do this but I haven’t found one or have managed to forget it. I’m not asking here as a first port of call.

I’m curious, what is the use case for this? I get the need to mute audio but still output midi, but I don’t get what you’re trying to achieve by muting “internal” midi?

1 Like

I believe that he thinks that the actual midi notes, not just the audio, will choke/steal

Perfectly in line according to the op who gave thanks to any info in the matter.
The- I appreciate that you actually dedicated your time to me, BUT if You read bla-bla- passive aggression is unfounded

To clarify, I edited my post before seeing the reply because I didn’t like the way I worded it.

It’s always a challenge to communicate clearly through text, especially when describing hardware, so I didn’t read it as passive-aggressive–just as a confirmation that they understood my suggestion and it didn’t answer their question.

That’s good then. That interpretation was mine and doesn’t in itself verify the actual intent