Where to start? A question from a rookie

Evening! I have stumbled across the world of Pocket Operators and really want to get involved!

However I only have a very basic understanding of music (self taught basic guitar).

PO’s are something I want to delve into to help build my musical knowledge and introduce me to electronic music.

However there are so many to choose from!

I’m really interested in chiptune so I was leaning towards either the Arcade PO or Street fighter PO.

Can anyone advise if either of the above are beginner friendly?

Thank you in advance!

all the POs are beginner friendly
i dont think u can go wrong

arcade is good
maybe even robot (or megaman) is chiptuney as well

street fighter (or KO) is dope too
but u may or may not have a lot of sample sources to sample from?
if u do or are willing to dig
then these are great bc if u get tired of the sounds u can just sample new ones :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you for your response!

So can I sample on the street fighter, Arcade and Robot ones?

Also is there a wiki page or website that can help a noob like me get into PO’s and electronic instruments?

Finally, what are the builds like on these - are they quite well made?

If you are interested in chiptune I highly recommend the arcade PO-20, then you can pair it with a PO 28 Robot or a PO 128 Megaman, I have read that the PO 28 is better for live playing and the PO 128 for sequencing.

PO 133 is better matched with other metal PO series (PO 32 Tonic and PO 35 Speak), which are my favorites besides Arcade and Robot.

For more detailed PO guides and content, check out this web:

https://pocketoperations.com/

1 Like

Watch this and it’ll demystify everything about them for you TE PO-20 Arcade Introduction - YouTube

Start with this as it sounds right up your street.

1 Like