Which external microphone to use with OP-1?

Ok. I will try a Rode NT3 which you can get used for under 100,- and it can also be battery powered and has a very low noise. For half the price there is also the M3 which should be a bit more “noisy” but still quiet good.

I like Sony ECMMS907 , it is a video camera mic but it works real nice for stuff like tape recorder, minidisc, sampler, op, etc... Unfortunately they are like $80 but it has been my preference...

Anco used them for like campfire songs and some friends led recording stuff for sung tongs

I’ve had this one and hands down it’s the worst microphone I’ve ever used. Once you go to something like even the Rode NT4, or a condenser, or capable electrets like the sennheiser mke2, you can’t go back.

I use this microphone going first through a minidisc which makes it sound really great, not as good as my AT4050 but not bad at all!

The greatest thing about this setup is that everything runs on batteries so you can make some fantastic recordings outdoors
the input is mono I think

Really ?

On the OP1 documentation (chapter 12.3) it says that you can use the input line to connect a second OP1 and control both with on volume knob. Because of that I tought it was a stereo input.

I didn’t find any info here or on the doc, can someone knows a bit more ?

Ok. I will try a Rode NT3 which you can get used for under 100,- and it can also be battery powered and has a very low noise. For half the price there is also the M3 which should be a bit more "noisy" but still quiet good.

How did you get on with, it @dinraum ?

Can never go wrong with a Sure SM57. To be clear I do not own a OP-1 yet. Just a great all purpose Mic.

+1 on SM57. Great value and never breaks. I use the SM58 for vocals then unscrew the pop/spit guard for instruments/drums, 2 for the price of 1. Also, the green bullet is quite handy for lo-fi vocals.
Both can be had for cheap if bought used.

+1 on SM57. Great value and never breaks. I use the SM58 for vocals then unscrew the pop/spit guard for instruments/drums, 2 for the price of 1. Also, the green bullet is quite handy for lo-fi vocals. Both can be had for cheap if bought used.

Yep, got a few much more expensive mics here but most of the time I use a 57 for everything. How lofi is green bullet for vocals? Like extreme ‘telephone’ vibes or something more useable for everyday vocals for lofi? Any recordings you can point me at?

Any recommendations for much smaller mikes going? (But still powered, to work with OP-1)

1 Like
+1 on SM57. Great value and never breaks. I use the SM58 for vocals then unscrew the pop/spit guard for instruments/drums, 2 for the price of 1. Also, the green bullet is quite handy for lo-fi vocals. Both can be had for cheap if bought used.

Yep, got a few much more expensive mics here but most of the time I use a 57 for everything. How lofi is green bullet for vocals? Like extreme ‘telephone’ vibes or something more useable for everyday vocals for lofi? Any recordings you can point me at?

To me, it's closer to am radio than telephone type vibe with a nice mid range saturation when pushed. It rolls off at around 4khz so it doesn't have sm's peak around 5khz. I've heard the black keys like to use these types of high impedance/harmonica mics to get their sound.

Hello, I’ve just bought one of these. It works fine with an iPhone but when plugged into the OP-1, with Line in setting selected, it simply doesn’t pick up sound. The mic doesn’t require phantom power so I’m not sure whether I’m doing something wrong.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072HH1QYV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw the Cuckoo video demonstrating vocal effects using the CWO and thought that I’d be able to mess with effects live, but can’t seem to figure that out either. Pointers most welcome
I'm not sure what type of mics can be used directly with the OP-1, but in general these mics are lovely for recording quiet/delicate sounds.
https://lom.audio/product/usi-pro/

They come in 2 version. Add your names to the waiting list, as they always make new batches.

The OP-1 input is best matched with a -10dB line level. An example of this is the RCA outputs of a CD player or Cassette deck. Many small mixers have RCA outputs labeled “Tape”. Unfortunately, single channel battery powered mic - to - line amps with -10dB outputs are very rare. I was lucky to find a Fostex AR 501 for $79. It works perfectly with the OP-1. Even has phantom power.

Ok. I will try a Rode NT3 which you can get used for under 100,- and it can also be battery powered and has a very low noise. For half the price there is also the M3 which should be a bit more "noisy" but still quiet good.

How did you get on with, it @dinraum ?

The nt3 is great. Very quiet. Very neutral sounding and versatile. But the op1 preamp is still noisy.

Any recommendations for much smaller mikes going? (But still powered, to work with OP-1)
I also connected an iPhone to the op1 in order to use the mic and it turned out about 10 times better than expected. Much better sound than the built in mic of the op1.

I’m back on this thread because I have a ‘Riddle me this’ kind of itch I haven’t scratched. I’ve emailed TE support but am not convinced by the ‘try replacing the input board’ solution. Something just doesn’t add up. OK, the problem: Plugging in either iPhone mic earbuds or a non phantom power mini mic to the mic port doesn’t go any further than the sampling ‘Standby screen’ (You know, the green one that indicates that a mic is plugged in and the OP-1 is in standby for line signal)

If I plug in the external antenna in the same port to sample radio, it works perfectly. If I unplug the aerial, signal drops for radio: Conclusion - antenna works/ port works
If I plug in a stereo line in jack and connect the other end to my iPhone, I can sample directly from that device to the OP-1
Conclusion: The port is not faulty
If I plug in earbuds or the non-phantom mini mic- OP-1 doesn’t detect input beyond knowing that a line in cable is connected. Conclusion: Gaaaaaaaah! If anyone can help me identify the actual problem and its solution, I’d be very pleased to hear from you. Thanks

What mic?

@hiabex you need a preamp, simple as that.

In keeping with the OP1’s on-the-go portability factor, why not use a Lavalier clip-on microphone? Of course, you won’t get the same quality as you would with a condenser mic, but if you’re using the OP-1 as a musical ideas sketchpad (and not as a full production workstation for your final mix), does that really matter?

My apologies, the mic in question was this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072HH1QYV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i’m surprised that pre-amp would be required for it or iphone earbuds as both are standard plug and play types of hardware that work seamlessly with other mobile devices with smaller batteries than the OP-1

@hiabex: smartphone and computer mic ports supply a little power to the mic (“plug in power”) that I suspect this mic needs. The op-1 input does not. That’s why it doesn’t work I think.