Which external microphone to use with OP-1?

Can I run some sort of external microphone straight into the line in on the OP-1? Anyone have suggestions of which is the best one to use? Thanks for any ideas you might have!

I’d also be really interested in hearing peoples’ thoughts on this. TE recently posted a video (maybe on their facebook page?) of a guy singing into a mic plugged directly into the OP-1 and it sounded really good.

This one looks interesting for not a lot of money:http://www.amazon.com/Movo-Stereo-Condenser-Microphone-Cameras/dp/B00TIZ1YQW

Any dynamic mic with an XLR to mini jack adaptor will work.

There’s another thread about this, somewhere, but I don’t find it.
I’ve got a H2N and I love it :slight_smile:

I tried a dynamic mic, and it didn’t have enough volume. A powered condenser mic does the job, though.

I tried a dynamic mic, and it didn't have enough volume. A powered condenser mic does the job, though.

Got an example of one that worked well for you?

I tried a dynamic mic, and it didn’t have enough volume. A powered condenser mic does the job, though.

I use a Behringer XM8500 dynamic mic via an XLR - mono jack cable >> 6.35mm - 3.5mm (mono) adaptor >> 3.5mm (mono) - 3.5mm (stereo) adaptor. Have to turn the red input gain up a fair bit but can easily clip without too much noise (to my ears anyway!).

The Zoom H1 works well if you happend to have one of those laying around…

Got an example of one that worked well for you?

The one I tried is just a cheap shotgun style condenser mic from RadioShack that I’ve had for about 20 years. It’s powered by an AA battery.

I’ve actually had luck with using my phone, not wanting to buy a separate microphone (yet). There are a number of apps for Android as well as iOS that let you monitor the input on your phone. You can just run a 3.5mm cable between the phone and OP-1. Sounds significantly better than the OP microphone and you have more control over placement. A cheap option (unless you don’t have a phone) to try out some recordings if you aren’t sure buying an external microphone is worth it.

Has anyone tried this microphone on the op-1?

https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_e523d.htm

I think the OP1 does not supply power for a (powered) microphone. Mics you can plug in there:

- dynamic microphone (e.g. shure sm57/58, ev-re320, md421) though dynamic mics are quiet
- battery-powered mic, e.g. electret mics and condensers running on 1.5V or 9V battery - the superlux above is not very sensitive (4.4mV/Pa)
- a piezo mic/transducer (i’d exercise extra caution doing this, really depends on what you plan to mic)
- any mic through a preamp, that includes line output of portable recorders

the input is mono I think

I like Sony ECMMS907 , it is a video camera mic but it works real nice for stuff like tape recorder, minidisc, sampler, op, etc… Unfortunately they are like $80 but it has been my preference…

Anco used them for like campfire songs and some field recording stuff for sung tongs

I like Sony ECMMS907 , it is a video camera mic but it works real nice for stuff like tape recorder, minidisc, sampler, op, etc... Unfortunately they are like $80 but it has been my preference...

Anco used them for like campfire songs and some friends led recording stuff for sung tongs

I’ve had this one and hands down it’s the worst microphone I’ve ever used. Once you go to something like even the Rode NT4, or a condenser, or capable electrets like the sennheiser mke2, you can’t go back.

Ipad can be a pretty cool lofi mic for portable recording with fx in to OP. Using an app like Tonestack you can get some cool/interesting sounds from the ipad mic.

I've had this one and hands down it's the worst microphone I've ever used. Once you go to something like even the Rode NT4, or a condenser, or capable electrets like the sennheiser mke2, you can't go back.

haha woah and I thought mine was pricey… The Sony sounded nice in a tape recorder though but I make lofi trash haha

I run a Samson Meteor into my iPhone, and then the 1/8" out from the phone to the OP. It allows lots of creative app options (reverbs, etc.) in between.

Comment and rest of thread for more ideas:

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/21760/#Comment_21760

I am actually quite impressed with the built-in mic, at least for sampling when ultimate sound quality is secondary or even undesirable if you’re going for the kind of lo-fi grittiness that the OP-1 seems perfect for. But of course, sometimes it’s convenient to have an external mic you can place in front of your mouth when playing the OP-1, too.