Why is my pattern sequencer only has 15 steps?

There is one more thing to consider.
Have you tried the white encoder? Shift & white?
You can shorten Pattern with this, plus zone into late beats.
If you place just one drum on beat one (far left) then leave seq page (or press help) - it should play your drum as soon as you play keys up the keyboard ,straight away.No quarter note delay.
Then if you need to line pattern up to any grid, observe the tape start technique via hold rec ,then press keyboard ©.

I see what you’re saying about :34 and 2:42, but I still hear the pattern start at beat 1. Is that correct? And just tried on my own. Beat marker looks like it starts at beat 2, but beat 1 still sounds and no visual difference between sound and marker after that. But maybe your video would show differently.

Also, this entire time have you been referring to the marker on sequencer as the play head? Because if that’s the case, then I misunderstood you to be referring solely to the tape play head – which is literally what the head of a tape player is called. I never thought you might be talking about the vertical marker on the sequencer screen. Cursor? Marker? Indicator?

ah yeah, i think they are both called playheads so i can see the confusion.

here is a video demonstrating the problem with the playhead in the pattern sequencer.

https://youtu.be/G2Eqqp0BGAg

i have kept this vid unlisted on youtube as it prob should really be uploaded to a beta team forum or something.

cheers, peter.

That’s not how it looks on 218 or previous. Contact TE and see what they say. They should at least know that before they distribute it widely.

Yep, that looks weird - mine definitely has the playhead at the correct position, in time with playback

if u press a key first to start the seq, instead of toggling the hold via orange knob, do u get the same behavior?

nm i see pattern works way different thannnn the others, i never use pattern…

ya mine does the same as the video above but i would hardly be bothered by it
when the tempo is faster the visual is hardly noticeable, and the sound and adding sounds to the pattern is not off at all.
just use your ears instead of your eyes man. its music after all.

Is the version 220 released to the public now?

">just use your ears instead of your eyes man. its music after all.

This.

I love the op-1 and use the pattern sequencer all the time. But the really I love the op-1 is because it got me out of a musical funk and let me just enjoy sound.

On the video Peter ,you didnt get any sound of the drum on initial start (only on beat 2.1) but later when flicking on/off it was triggering drum on time.
Do you miss beats/audio off the first step sometimes when starting up?

I’ve just checked both operating systems - the classic old one and the new 218.
The old one plays a beat when it hits the marker (moves on to it) as you would expect.
My new 218 does play back after its left the step - which seems odd to be fare, but the sound of it is unaffected and it works fine ,with drums triggered instantly on start up.

just use your ears instead of your eyes man. its music after all.

thanks for your reply.

there are two problems with this argument.

1. our brains use visual and audio queues to determine timing. saying i have to shut my eyes to use a product is not really acceptable.
2. the notes placed are placed on the playhead, so all notes i play are placed 1/4 note ahead of my intention.

cheers, peter
On the video Peter ,you didnt get any sound of the drum on initial start (only on beat 2.1) but later when flicking on/off it was triggering drum on time.
Do you miss beats/audio off the first step sometimes when starting up?

nah, my speakers have auto-on-off and wait for a signal to turn on. my speakers just didn’t play the first beat because they were off and had turned on by the second beat.

when i flick the sequencer on/off it does play the beat immediately when i turn “hold” (play) on/off, but the playhead is always 1/4 note ahead of the beat. see how the playhead always starts on step 2?

cheers, peter

Hi Peter,

I just wanted to mention that I can reproduce the same issue on v218.

It’s easier to see on slower bpm (as in your example video), and I feel quite sure about the fact that all devices have this. You’re not having a faulty device, it’s just the way the playhead animation was programmed.

I agree with you that it’s not perfect, but it’s possible to get used to it. Maybe creating a support ticket with a link to this thread might help catching the developers attention regarding this issue?

Best regards

Sounds/ looks like something’s wrong to me.

I’ve checked mine and it’s behaving as expected. If I had it the same as result Peter’s video I’d be annoyed too. It’s a fault as far as I am concerned

I am confused about the firmware. I have 218. Is there 2 versions or a pre release version of 220?

I have 218. Is there 2 versions or a pre release version of 220?

i just received mine last week – it came with 220 installed. maybe it went out with a pre-release version of 220?

cheers, peter
and I feel quite sure about the fact that all devices have this. You're not having a faulty device, it's just the way the playhead animation was programmed.

My device does not do this on 218

mine also has a problem with the timing of the playhead in finger. playhead is 1/4 note ahead.

https://youtu.be/4OSO_HAjz_s

i have emailed TE. hopefully they get these timing issues fixed in the next public release.

cheers, peter.

Andrew and millbastard, thanks for your response!

Would you mind recording your OP-1 screen when playing back a pattern at 40bpm?

hey there, I just uploaded a small video. for me it feels like that: when using somthing like 40bpm it is out of sync … using 80 or 100bpm it feels in sync. I guess it has something to do with the animation. I totally get why it confuses you, it would do the same for me… but I ve the OP1 for 2 years and never saw it till today, coz I always work with a higher then 40bpm rate. btw. nevertheless … even with the visuals not in sync, it works perfectly in time using it on the tape machine (even at 40bpm). I hope that helps. have a nice day :slight_smile:

OP 1 sync - YouTube

Thanks for the video, Ulrik.

Have a nice day, too