Why is my pattern sequencer only has 15 steps?

It seems strange that it changed for the update -and then only for some users of 218. And now for Peters Finger seq- that is a shame. Seems buggy…

My Finger does this and I’ve never noticed until now
I’m starting to wonder if its a case of ‘visual semantics’ -it depends on how you look at it. And it may of done this all along.
I asked my friend over the phone (who is also new to OP-1) to check the old OS for Pattern and he didn’t think it behaved as most of us are seeing in this thread- so my check of both OS’s wasn’t 100% thorough.
(Maybe TEs way of looking at it is… once an impact has happened it is after the event so the drum won’t sound until marker moves off the beat. It seems more logical with finger the way we move about and edit the steps).

Andrew and millbastard, thanks for your response!

Would you mind recording your OP-1 screen when playing back a pattern at 40bpm?

I’ve tried this right down at 40 bpm and I seem to be getting the same results as everyone else. IMHO it does not look as bad on mine as the videos but maybe that’s to be expected with the recording.

I am not sure it’s even consistent, but it certainly seems to be sounding as the image shows the marker leaves the beat.

Firmware 218

I was thinking about why this might actually not be a bug as much as just a fringe case. The emphasis should be that the sound happens in time with what is expected. So the priority will be to play the sound, then to increment the image. If you incremented the image first and then the sound, then you might end up with the sound behind the beat as expected. So perhaps at low BPM, the timing just works out to a very perceivable difference, but at higher tempo you no longer perceive the difference.

i have experience programming sequencers so from a programming perspective i can see what has happened. the count for the playhead position has simply been miscoded and needs to be fixed thats all. move playhead forward function is being called too soon, discounting the first step in both finger and pattern sequencers. it really should not be hard for them to fix. they prob just need to change a count variable from 1 to a 0.

as for whether it should be like this. it shouldn’t. every sequencer on the planet plays the beat it is highlighting. also, in pattern sequencer with beats placed on the playhead that is 1/4 note ahead, the beats get placed on the wrong step. thats just simply a mistake.

as for why we don’t notice it, well, at faster speeds it becomes less noticeable to our perception. i can see the mistake at 90bpm without much difficulty – at 120 it’s harder for me to see, but it still feels wrong.

as for people saying it’s acceptable to have the playhead out of time? seems like a strange argument to make. wouldn’t you like it to work properly?

i sent them a message, i expect they will fix it. should be an easy fix.

peace

On the bright side - it does display the playhead properly for one use case - when the white knob is used to reduce the number of steps to 1.

:slight_smile:

CB

As someone said before: You could chalk this down to semantics as well…

As someone said before: You could chalk this down to semantics as well...
wittgenstein would be on my side here --> "meaning is use". we dont use the word "hold" unless we are "holding a key". that is why no other sequencer on the planet has the word "hold" where the word "start" or "play" should be.

i think it's a poor argument to say "oh it's semantics" as if semantics don't matter. some would argue, especially wittgenstein, that semantics are of upmost importance, that one should express themselves as clearly as possible. today one of the most important elements of "good design" is "absolute communication", not obfuscation. ie, if there is a button, it should be absolutely clear to the user what that button is for etc. yet the first thing i think when i see "hold" is "hold what?".

the other reason hold is a bad word to use here is because "hold" is used in our language to mean "pause" in many contexts, as a warning to stop moving "hold up", or to signify something has stopped in use "business is on hold" etc etc. to use a word that could easily be interpreted as "pause playing" where you mean to say "start playing" is a really bad use of language.

regarding the semantics of whether the playhead "appears in time". it is also vital that the playhead performs as expected. again, "meaning is use" could be applied here. every other sequencer on the planet plays the note when the playhead arrives at the note, not after it leaves the note. the meaning of the playhead is "when the playhead arrives at a note, the note is played" that is the way we "use" the playhead on every other sequencer on the planet. therefore it should be like this in the pattern sequencers in the op1.

anyway, i dont want to seem to be arguing -- im not, it's just a philosophical design topic, friendly discussion.

peace

give it up… its called “hold” because technically you are HOLDING a key. The fact it starts at all when turning the knob is just an added bonus. Look at them like arpegiators. You HOLD down a key to play the pattern, you turn the knob to “hold” it…

Hold on to your hat for this one: If you like every other sequencer better, why not play those? Complaining that the OP1 is not like every other instrument is missing the point of the OP1 explicitly trying not to be like every other instrument.

You HOLD down a key to play the pattern, you turn the knob to "hold" it....
except, im not holding any keys. so the logic fails.

Hold on to your hat for this one: If you like every other sequencer better, why not play those? Complaining that the OP1 is not like every other instrument is missing the point of the OP1 explicitly trying not to be like every other instrument.

im not complaining that it is not like every other sequencer. im complaining that there is a programming error. everyone in design knows “do not go against expectations”. they simply made a mistake in the programming – it was not a design feature to have the playhead in the wrong spot.

its like your car showing “Drive” when it’s in “Park” and then saying “if you dont like cars that say “drive” when you’re in “park” then buy another car.” it’s a silly argument.

incidently, there was one story of a car that did something similar. they invented “automatic handbrake” hahaa what a stupid name. and people kept fucking it up and their cars kept rolling down the street. hahaha.

We are all autistic arent we? :)at least i am! :). And so are you.
The hold reminds me of the Roland juno 6 arpeggio, hold button to simulate finger hold ?

We are all autistic arent we? :)at least i am! :). And so are you. The hold reminds me of the Roland juno 6 arpeggio, hold button to simulate finger hold ?
We are all autistic arent we? :)at least i am! :). And so are you. The hold reminds me of the Roland juno 6 arpeggio, hold button to simulate finger hold ?

personally i find it offensive to be called autistic. a friend of my mine has aspergers and im sure he wouldnt appreciate it either. :frowning:

im an industrial designer amongst other things. things should be done correctly.

i cant explain my point any more times.

You HOLD down a key to play the pattern, you turn the knob to "hold" it....
except, im not holding any keys. so the logic fails.

What are you talking about? You don’t have to hold any keys because you turned the hold knob…? … logic does not fail. There is no other way to start a sequencer other than pressing a key(or turning the knob), the knob is keeping it held for you. Which is why hold makes sense …The reason you aren’t actually holding a key like you said is because you turned the hold knob. You must be trolling . They are like arpeggiators that need a key pressed to work. Press can be replaced with hold. Hold is what the knob is doing doing for you. I’m sorry but You continue to sound ignorant on the subject, I don’t get it…

Peter rabbit said: personally i find it offensive to be called autistic. a friend of my mine has aspergers and im sure he wouldnt appreciate it either. :frowning:

Well i am classical autistic, so im allowed to say it
And your topics remind me of my own mindfarts. Make something out of nothing,

The fact that you find it offensive to be called autistic, proves my point, thank you :).
And i should be offended by you being offended by being called autistic, but i dont mind. Autism can be of use in the arts. :slight_smile:

Can we just close this thread? It’s getting unproductive.

Yes please

“it’s a feature not a bug.”- every developer ever. it still works in time if you program it properly and go according to the way the sound it produced. Not just a graphical representation of it. Listen to the beauty of the sound. The thing thats cool about music is that when you hear music, it makes you feel.

+1 for closing the thread