Wish there was an OPZ Android app

Anyone tried this Android app? I would to hear some feedback before buying it…

yeah. it kinda works. the recording features don’t work but the midi control does. I told the dev about my issues and it sounds like he is working on it.

Not sure if your question is about the iOS op-z app coming to Android? No one publicly has tried it (if it exists), and there is no word from teenage engineering about making it happen (that I know of).

No i am talking about the unofficial app you posted few days ago

Check out OP-Z Buddy for Android. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can’t wait to try this out!

they might not want to because Android is open source right? If they make an app they may have to make the code available, and this would open the door to third party apps that can use the OPZ and they probably don’t want the competition.
Just my .02$

That’s parts of the operating system that are open source. There’s no requirement whatsoever that apps must be open source. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oh good to know, i thought that was something specific about android.

1 Like

The unofficial app is kinda fine for its price… given the fact that the opz parameters led system is really intuitive even after a few days i started playing my opz… what i really miss is the motion implementation as i work with both audio and video…

i disagree about the led’s. they are very feature packed but i couldn’t imagine properly learning to use the device without the screen. They really need to get on the android train

Well that s IMO of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you asked me and my friend when we bought the op-z we both would have completely agreed with you. It took a little while but now both of us use it without the screen a majority of the time. The only thing I feel like I need the screen for is chopping samples but it is coming slowly.

I took it to the dirtybird campout house music festival without a screen. I recorded a bunch of vocal samples and pitched them down for that popular house music deep baritone vocals and played some jams with other DJ’s at my camp’s sound system. Chopping samples with the screen definitely would have been faster, but it can be done.

@spongefile made a really helpful guide. I have a printed copy that I keep in my op-z case. https://spongefile.ghost.io/making-sense-of-the-op-z/ It’s basically a paper version of the app without the video features.

I wish I could pin the mixer page in the app. IMO a midi controller like a lunch control xl would be more useful than the screen. If the mixer page could be pinned to the screen I would use the app allot more. Maybe I should try one of those touch osc midi controller apps to make something like the launch control.

2 Likes

oh i believe it can be done! :wink: I just figure i have my phone in my pocket anyway… During a live set i would want to minimize any points of failure so not connecting to phone may be useful, although i don’t play live shows.

You can connect a lot of midi controllers/keyboards like arturia, akai, and many other brands. Configure midi (have to use app tho) and get the knobs to work with extra parameters and pads to work with drums. It opens up a whole lot.

how i’m connected:

1 Like

I seem unable to even pair my android with op-z over bluetooth. Android says pairing rejected.

Was wanting to send MIDI clock over bluetooth to my drummers metronome app.

I screwed with it a little bit at a cafe today but it needs a way to let me know what param the encoders are editing.

3 Likes

_Pairing Rejected by Opz _

This is the constant between the latest op-Z FW and Galaxy s7

There is also the OP Utility for android!

Bruno Kramm uses the opz with Grainstorm through bluetooth. Caustic 3 also is capable