With respect to the process

Hey all,

I’ve had my op-z for 7 months. I have the bend and double trigs but trying to work through it.

I see the issues people have had and my questions are:

1. Have you verified its reproducible and filed a bug to TE with Logs (if applicable)?
  2. Do you make music as a job or a side gig?
  3. Do the issue you run into hinder your workflow?

I make music to build a business with sync licensing. I made 100 “beats” at the start of the year and am turning about 50 into actual tracks with the op-z and Logic Pro X.

I’m asking this because I love the device and the way it forces you to work inside boundaries. I’m at the point where I can try to get it repaired, or just ask TE if they would replace it. My seller warranty has expired, and TE referred me to the stateside repair place. Trying to make an educated decision.

I’m just wanting some feedback, trying to see the forest for the trees

p.s.

My music can be found here www.crobproductions.com and https://music.apple.com/us/album/distinguished-gentleman/1462538204

Can i ask, does it double trig when it is sitting on a desk? One guy was complaining about it but admitted it only double trigs when he is holding it… Which i find kind of rediculous to think it will work perfectly something so small playing notes in your hand. It is a table top device even if so small… Is it really bent bad? Or is it barely noticeable? Allot of them seem to bend a little but i don’t think it is that big a deal. I have yet to see one bent like a potato chip like people make it out to be…

2 Likes

The bend is very slight, a little bit more than my fingernail width when placed on the edge of my desk. The bend really isn’t that bad or noticeable. The double trigs happen more on my lap than on the desk. It’s very minor at this point.

Your question is a great way of pointing out, I may be making a bigger deal than I need to. I was just trying to decide if it was worth sending in for repair or to just ride it out.

Thank you for your reply!

I think your bend is just a natural effect of this design and is nothing to worry about… I bet almost all of them will bow a little bit like that just because it is really only the front side is supporting it for the whole length… This material is incredibly strong because of the fact it is more elastic at a micro level then brittle like most plastic. I Thom the double triggering you are seeing is normal and just how it is with membrane buttons that are tiny with no stable backing to support the pressure of a push… This design will have its limitations i think it’s best to be reasonable… If you are doing something very important i would use a midi keyboard… That is made for that… But at least put it on a stable table top at the least.

3 Likes

This might be of interest:

“EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don’t look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees.”

in my opinion,
op-z is not an instrument, and its not made for serious production purposes. mastering whole track for radio standards.
its like building a house, architect doesn’t go directly to the advanced CAD workflow, but they just scratch idea on a paper and play around with it. op-z is that kind of paper :memo:.
it provides a versatile prototype environment where you can experiment and test your concepts and develop your ideas.
i think its meant to be used and abused like a hammer.
my op-z got downed in beer, got eaten by a goat, fall of a drone, kicked around in a bag almost daily, covered in super glue, attached to tesla coil (popped bakers in the house but still remained bluetooth connection), completely disassembled and reassembled, glued to a train, blasted by fog from fog machine, heft near the hot pizza oven… still works.
…wander what it will do in liquid nitrogen :thinking::joy:
ezgif-2-e3d0daff5d8a

1 Like