Workarounds for sequence saving?

I’m boggled that you can’t save and reload sequences, and wondering what kind of workarounds there are? I saw mention of using midi to transfer to another machine, but can’t find details. Also with these selling out all the time it seems the demand should allow TE to add this feature doesn’t it?

You could write it down.

1 Like

That’s a good idea (writing it down). & you can put a different sequence on every key & they stay there unless you change them (saved). That’s a decent amount of sequences. What are you trying to do? How would saving sequences in another way then it already does help you?

Just trying to understand as it would help us know what work arounds to suggest.

What @Sharris is suggesting is for the finger sequencer. I personally use almost exclusively endless + arp

Well, I wish I knew what I was talking about :slight_smile: Learning this thing slooowly. I’ve been using pattern, and was hoping for something similar to snapshotting sounds. I’d like to save them as a file, even to another machine, and reload. I’ll check out finger since the machine holds 14 of those.

u can export your sequences via midi
but u can’t really “load” them back b/c u can’t record into the sequencer via midi

also i don’t mind at all the limited sequence storage in finger and the destructive 1 pattern per sequencer for the others. it really forces u to lay down what u have, recreate stuff if u need to go back, keep things moving, etc etc.
sometimes too many options is not a good thing

For pattern sequences you can take a picture of the grid w/ your phone.

@docshermsticks said:
u can export your sequences via midi
but u can’t really “load” them back b/c u can’t record into the sequencer via midi

also i don’t mind at all the limited sequence storage in finger and the destructive 1 pattern per sequencer for the others. it really forces u to lay down what u have, recreate stuff if u need to go back, keep things moving, etc etc.
sometimes too many options is not a good thing

Agree. There’s other devices if you want almost every option imaginable. Ie. Ableton… I use both.

Thanks, all. I’ll deal. Phone shapshot - I like it. It just gets me that the info is in memory, and I just can’t save it off, heh…

angers me that there’s no obvious technical limitation to saving sequences on the OP1, just TE’s goodwill to build some UI there.

u don’t know that w/o knowing the inner workings of the device and the software.
theres plenty of potential reasons why they might have left this out.
memory limitations, design/workflow decisions, wanting to leave space open for future things
are just a few that come to my mind immediately

With Finger you can copy a key pattern with hold key & Lift, then drop to another key with drop & key.
This also works between drum finger sequencer and synth sequencer. So useful if you run out of space with your synth sequencers or storing for later.
(Not tried dropping to Tape, but think that would of been discovered already).

@docshermsticks said:
u don’t know that w/o knowing the inner workings of the device and the software.
memory limitations, design/workflow decisions, wanting to leave space open for future things

I do know enough about the sqlite db they have in there already, the file browser they have in there already, and the minuscule memory requirements of a midi sequence. So, with respect, I don’t accept your point, and certainly don’t accept “wanting to leave space open for future things” as the future doesn’t ever seem to come. Click encoders? Like that.

1 Like

Yea sorry, I was just talking about the finger sequencer. Too be honest I dont really use the sequencers that often. I think it’s a matter of the op-1 being different then most other gear out there. Mind blowing all the work arounds for this thing, but when it comes to sequencers it’s just different, it’s not like MPC’s, sp’s, ect where the beat itself is a sequence or a combination of them. Just curious how saving sequences would help you to kno what work arounds to suggest. I think writing them down is a good idea, maybe make like a sequence chart (I think they have 1 for p.o.'s). Taking a pic as someone else suggests is a good idea as well.

If the finger sequencer is the only sequencer that saves, maybe use that when working with sequences you want saved for later

@eesn said:

@docshermsticks said:

I do know enough about the sqlite db they have in there already, the file browser they have in there already, and the minuscule memory requirements of a midi sequence. So, with respect, I don’t accept your point, and certainly don’t accept “wanting to leave space open for future things” as the future doesn’t ever seem to come. Click encoders? Like that.

fair enough but thats prolly only one aspect of many of the device as a whole,
they have certainly given us lots of new features tho after launch
finger, arp, cwo, multiple synth engines, dbox, etc etc.

Endless is called endless because u endlessly have to retype your sequence haha