Would you trade your Op-1 for a monomachine mk 2 +drive?

title says it all…love my op-1, hate my op-1. i have an option to trade it for a mm in good condition…i really like the mm for it midi sequencing capabilities, the synthengines, and all.

but if i trade, i don´t have an op-1…

Probably not, but would be tempted. What I would do is snap up a Mk1 if it came up cheap on ebay and have both. Then trade up for a Mk2 with +drive in time if / when I loved it.

I’m constantly tempted to sell my OP-1 for an Elektron box haha.

Do it.

You can always find another OP-1 if you miss it.
And I think you win on the trade.

It sounds like a good trade. Do it if it makes sense to you. The OP-1 and Monomachine are VEEERY different machines… although they’re designed by the same people(!) There is a spontanity and playfulness with the OP-1 that you might regret getting rid of, but there’s a live performance depth with the Monomachine and other Elektron boxes that has a deeper value in the end (in my opinion).

The other aspect to consider is the fact that the MnM is really thought to enhance other gear through its sequencer, whereas the OP-1 is mostly used standalone.

I found there is spontaneity and playfulness with Elektron gear as well as OP-1, on other aspects…
P-locks are to the sequencer what the keys are to the keyboard player (which I’m not). And a requirement to loop-based music, imo.

I have both. Looking to sell OP-1 - nuff said!

If you enjoy the elektron approach then go for it.

I’d do it and then buy another OP-1 when funds permit lol… You’re coming out $200+ ahead there or more.

In a way I think it’s really special to think about Jesper and David who were key persons in developing Elektron and the Monomachine in the early days… and then years later formed TE, and made the OP-1. Epicness! :slight_smile:

In a way I think it's really special to think about Jesper and David who were key persons in developing Elektron and the Monomachine in the early days... and then years later formed TE, and made the OP-1. Epicness! :)

Key persons, as in founders? Didn’t realize there was a Elektron and & TE connection so intimate,

In a way I think it's really special to think about Jesper and David who were key persons in developing Elektron and the Monomachine in the early days... and then years later formed TE, and made the OP-1. Epicness! :)

Key persons, as in founders? Didn’t realize there was a Elektron and & TE connection so intimate,

Neither did I, wow.

The OP-1 started at Elektron. I’ve seen photos of early designs at Elektron :slight_smile: Of course the finished product turned out totally different. But yeah, there’s a intimate and friendly relation.

Wow @cuckoo, that´s an amazing story. I was pretty sure that they´re close, but didn´t know about those details. I confess that after TE and Elektron, I give much more attention to everything that comes from Sweden! Amazing country and design ethos.

Wow @cuckoo, that´s an amazing story. I was pretty sure that they´re close, but didn´t know about those details. I confess that after TE and Elektron, I give much more attention to everything that comes from Sweden! Amazing country and design ethos.

Yeah Sweden is niiice :slight_smile: Nord Keyboards is another highly successful Swedish synth manufacturer. Nord, TE, Elektron = The Swedish Triforce :slight_smile:

Don’t give too much attention - you might come across Tomas Brolin and be put off the country forever…! :wink:

Yeah Sweden is niiice :slight_smile: Nord Keyboards is another highly successful Swedish synth manufacturer. Nord, TE, Elektron = The Swedish Triforce :slight_smile:

Don’t forget Cwejman !

Having acquired my first Elektron machines last week, I have to say yes, I would.

So on that note if anyone wants to swap an OP-1 for a Monomachine, I’m down :slight_smile:

Thought I’d never sell my OP-1, too.

I’ve tried the monomachine, even I’m not an Elektron expert… So different machines !
But I would not trade my op-1