Zoom MS 70 CDR - Opinions?

Currently I’m using my Mini Kaoss Pad 2S for effects, mostly as a reverb. It sounds OK but that’s about it. Hence I’d like to upgrade to a dedicated reverb effect box.

Now, it seems the current winners of hearts are the Eventide Space and the Strymon BigSky. I looked around for cheaper options though, the idea being that I invest the saved money into other gear (the GAS is strong at the moment). I’ve found the Zoom MS 70 CDR and read some reviews which seem to mostly be on the positive side. Especially given the fact that it costs only a fifth of what a Space is going for.

I was wondering if anyone here owns this Zoom pedal and can say if they’d buy it again or if there’s any big issues or unsurmountable shortcomings.

Cheers

Had the next model down, forget what it was called. 50? Got me out of a tight spot on tour once (airline lost our stuff) but rarely used it after that. Sounded pretty good tho. Great for the money. Never really bonded with the UI and sold it. Worth checking out for sure tho and see if you gel with it, can’t think of anything else comes close in that price range.

Does way more than reverb too. Think it’s like 6 fx you can stack per patch… Useful little boxes.

I have the Zoom MultiStomp MS100BT, it sounds pretty good IMHO. Of course it cannot compete without a Strymon or Eventide. The MS100BT can load additional effect models via iOS app “StompShare” (most of them as in-app purchase, but some are free). You can “upgrade” an MS100BT via in-app buys so that it contains all effects that are included in the MS70CDR, plus many more that are missing in the latter.

But if you’re used to the KaossPad you’ll sadly miss the intuitive interface. The MultiStomps are good for applying “static” effects, but tweaking parameters live is more of a p.i.t.a. and sometimes results in drop-outs of the effect signal.

Sorry to throw this into the mix, but maybe look at the TC Electronic Fireworx.
http://sound-generation.co.uk/product/tc-electronic-fireworx/

More expensive than the zooms, but a great Multi Fx unit.

Neunaber reverbs are ace also.

I have the Zoom MultiStomp MS100BT, it sounds pretty good IMHO. [ … ]

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the 100 as well but I don’t like the pricing through the app. But the sound would probably be pretty much the same as on the 70 model, so it’s good to hear that it’s not totally crap :slight_smile: I don’t mind if it’s not as dynamic as the KP, I’m not selling that one so I can go back or chain them.

Sorry to throw this into the mix, but maybe look at the TC Electronic Fireworx.

More expensive than the zooms, but an awesome Multi Fx unit.

Though it seems like very good value for what it does it’s not the form factor I’m looking for. I need something smaller, preferably mobile.
Had the next model down, forget what it was called. 50? [ … ] Sounded pretty good tho [ … ]

Yes I think it’s the 50. I’m guessing, as with the 100, that it’s the same platform and some effects are the same as well, so I’m looking forward to the 70 sounding decently. Thanks for the info.

Funnily enough I have been looking in this pedal too, then today @adamjay posted a tt-606 instajam using the MS-70CDR which sounded pretty nice.

CDR is specifically for ambient effect only, powerful and easy to use, you can chain patches and toggle by a single press.

As I remember, it’s more for guitar usage, thus there is no direct stereo output, LR channels are splitted.

If you are really serious on reverb, strymon would be a better choice.

GREAT pedal for the money! Used to have one but sold it in a small-hardware selling spree.

Like @Less said, it’s more for adding effect to sounds and won’t create the reverb saturated soundscapes that a strymon can deliver.

I used to use it a lot - check out some of my older videos from when I had this pedal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPzj3IrwaZI

My annoying advice is to just go with the Big Sky

I had one briefly this summer. Returned it after a couple weeks. Fast forward several months and I ended up spending 4x as much on an Oto Bam, and now I am happy.

I have no doubt some people could really enjoy the MS70CDR, but I did not like the UI, and the only sounds I liked were the crazier big reverb sounds, which I wouldn’t use in my music. Actually there might have been more usable sounds in it, but in owning it I confirmed that I don’t like too many options. Give me a few things that sound good and I’m much better off (hence the Oto Bam). Using the encoders bothered me a lot more than I thought it would as well.

Maybe it would work for you, but I’d suggest saving up and getting what you really want. It’s always worth going with your heart. :wink:

Too late, got one now :slight_smile: I’m pretty sure I’ll get a proper Strymon, Eventide, or modular reverb one day but for now this little box has to do. Actually at the moment I’m looking for the crazy stuff, so it’s not a bad fit. So far I don’t mind the encoders, though it might just me liking to twiddle knobs.

Thanks @spacetravelmadeeasy , you kinda sealed the deal. Nice videos, that’s some of the sounds I’m looking for at the moment.

Thanks all for your input, pro and con, it’s very much appreciated since I think I know and can trust you a bit better than the random YouTube commentator.

Fwiw, I just “discovered” (it should have been obvious to me, really) that the Zoom can be powered by the USB port on the back. Since I have a couple of power banks this makes it that much more portable (though battery life ain’t bad either). OP-1 sounds ethereal through it as well

Never realized the zoom stomps have a usb port, thanks for the tip @crudeoperator!

I use it regularely but find it a bit confusing with all the effectpossibilities and chainingorder options etc. Soundwise I think it’s ok, specially for the price point. Here is a track I used it for - only minilogue through the cdr with dual reverb setting.

https://youtu.be/KKcHiPQs9I4

I use it regularely but find it a bit confusing with all the effectpossibilities and chainingorder options etc. Soundwise I think it's ok, specially for the price point. Here is a track I used it for - only minilogue through the cdr with dual reverb setting.

https://youtu.be/KKcHiPQs9I4

I agree that it’s quite complex/confusing for such a small little box and I never really got my head around the effects possibilities and chaining order. Basically I just found a preset that I liked then tweaked it to what I wanted on each song and always managed to find something I was happy with.

By cranking up the reverb, feedback etc you can get some pretty epic soundscapes.
Chaps, i've got an MS100BT for sale. I've bought numerous additional fx for this pedal. Hardly used & comes boxed with a PSU.

£65 includes UK Shipping.