All Patches are saying is :”OP -1 Patch”?

So I’m trying to download patches (from Cuckoo) onto the op1 from my computer. Every time I load them up into the ‘drum, synth or snapshots’ folder and attempt the play them, the only sound I get is “op 1 patch”. I’ve deleted them off the op1 and redownloaded again but it continues saying it. Help please.

Are you playing them on your computer or really on the op1?
Your computer is not the op1, thats why it cannot play a patch of course.

are you putting synth patches into the synth folder, and drum patches in the drum folder?

Synth patch parameters are also audio files, just with the synth parameters packed in metadata or something. So if you open a synth patch in the drum sampler, it probably just plays the audio and ignores the metadata (and the OP-1 uses the “oh pee one preset” sample as a placeholder contents for synth patch files). (I haven’t actually tried this, just speculating)

Hi there,

an op1 patch file consists of two parts: hidden data storing the configuration + a short audio preview. On a computer you can only hear the preview. But if you transmit the patch to the op1, it will only deal with the hidden data.

If you created a patch with an old firmware versions of the op1 and transmit it to a computer, the preview would only say “op1 patch”. This is probably how Cuckoo’s patches were created.

For newer firmware versions this behavior changed. Synth patches from the op1 now contain a “correct” preview. This is at least true for patches stored at the 8 user presets. I heard (but did not verify) that this is now also the case for the other synth patches.

This implies you can add a preview to op1 patches if you copy them to your op1, restart it, and then copy them back. A while ago, I wrote a linux script which can do this for you automatically see here.

1 Like

On the OP1

Patches on OP-1 are indeed audio files with hidden metadata. So you should be able to play the preview anywhere. That’s very clever design… except for some reason OP-1 deletes the audio part and replaces it with “Opeeonepatch” recording when you save the patch from slot 1-8 to snapshots memory.

My guess is that you are accidentally using synth patch as a drum patch.

2 Likes