Analog Style Stepsequencer

Hi All!

I love the sequencers of my op-1, and i often use them with external gear…there is one thing i miss in the concept (for me ;-)): in all kind of sequencer you have to set your notes, and then you can play it…but there is no way to tweak it live and make changes in the melody. so i´ve come up with this idea:

a simple, “dark time”-ish sequencer. have a look at my mockup:

you can choose the steps with the cursorkeys.
BLUE ENCODER -> setting the pitch of the actual step.
GREEN ENCODER -> Play the note, Don´t play the note (X) or skip the Note (arrow)
WHITE ENCODER -> Setting the gatelength (same as tie notes in the endless sequencer)
RED ENCODER -> Play Mode, HOLD, Reverse, Pingpong, Random

with this you could play a sequence, turn in the sequencer, chose your step and change pitch etc. on the fly…what do you think about it? rough concept now…

I would love if sequencing as you describe was possible with the OP-1. Till it happens, there’s the external solution with the iPad and all the great sequencer apps.

I really like this. Great idea and well thought out!

sweet mockup! might be neat w/ some scales for the pitch to attach to?

Looks cool. Don’t forget shift and knob functions such as moving through steps in the sequence.

I want this on the op1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV9-XA5MPwY

too much to ask possibly… well heres a new android app that emulates it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.quet.android.audioid&hl=en

kewl

well… it is already kinda possible. it just requires you to have decent timing and is limited to 1 bar.

Use Pattern sequencer, then turn red encoder clockwise for Hold. Press and hold shift and now you can add and remove any notes live. Like I said it requires some timing and you can only change the notes that is playing that moment. Big plus in using the Pattern instead of an analogy-machine… it can do poly :stuck_out_tongue:

well... it is already kinda possible. it just requires you to have decent timing and is limited to 1 bar.

Use Pattern sequencer, then turn red encoder clockwise for Hold. Press and hold shift and now you can add and remove any notes live. Like I said it requires some timing and you can only change the notes that is playing that moment. Big plus in using the Pattern instead of an analogy-machine... it can do poly :p

yeah, but you have to delete the note and set a new note on the same position…that´s note the same :wink:

…would be awesome and def. possible! good night all you beatsteppers! .:

genius idea btw.
i hope you’ve sent this to TE!

@LAUNE you can just push 2 or more buttons at the same time. if you have a C playing and press C and D, the C will be removed leaving just a D. Plus if you do this the C will not be played the moment you press it. I am noticing more and more how much thought has gone into the OP-1…crazy

I will probably catch some flak for saying this… but I kinda prefer the Pattern sequencer to a possible analog style sequencer :stuck_out_tongue:

oh man this nice mock as a second screen to all sequencers!! would be so much operator’s mind!!! tweak tweak and param. locks.

param lock ala elektron would be INSANE

thanks to all…i´ve send it to TE…

exelent idea !

Good idea, but why would you want to set pitch via a knob? I would rather enter notes through keyboard, like in other sequencers. Maybe that’s implied or maybe you’re thinking about DBox.

I would probably reserve blue encoder for naviagion.

What would keys do when your sequencer is enabled, but you navigated back to sound change mode? Pitch shift the entire sequence? Or play normally? I would rather them do the latter. That way you could make sequencer to play a bass line while you’re playing leads on the same synth.

@Gambler I see what you are saying but twiddling them knobs is the main focus, So I would expect either…

Also image as you play a note it sets the length and pitch… maybe complicating things… but you got to love the automagical!

@gambler: " That way you could make sequencer to play a bass line while you’re playing leads on the same synth." -> since there is only one synthengine active this won´t work…

the idea is to tweak notes WHILE playing and get away from entering notes. i like the idea of organicand exploring unexspected sequencing…thing about an lfo on pitch or gate lenght!

just got another idea…how about calling this sequencer “compass” (because of the tweaking knobs layout, where the marker is pointing in a direction like a compass)…then enable this to the velocity-sensor to transpond the whole sequence…turn your device and the knobs will shaking like a compass needlde (but of course related to each other)

i have to learn better english…it´s a mindfuck if you wanna explain something and you can´t pull the right words!