Axoloti Appreciation!

I just got an Axoloti core after watching videos from some of you guys. I gotta say…this thing is awesome! It’s kinda like a Clavia Nord Modular from what I am reading.

I also ordered a kit from Thonk! that adds a joystick, 3 buttons, 4 lights, and 6 pots via the GPIO. Since I am quite new to modulars and programming, I gotta do some light homework on the basics. The axoloti community has added many patches to the library and their forum is excellent in a similar way as this one. Hopefully I will get a video up soon!

I have already been bugging Vehka so all you Axoloti users chime in and share the knowledge =]

Fly-B

The latest firmware update adds a bunch of objects ported from the MI modules, somebody just posted this clip of running Clouds on Axoloti, audio coming from OP-1:

http://scontent-amt2-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/16734499_283405088744025_2444657421667270656_n.mp4

Dope! Is that patch in the forum? That’s the stuff I want to see so I understand how to map the music thing

Just got one too and the thonk controller as well. Let me know if you find a good guide to put it together. I am new to soddering.

Just got one too and the thonk controller as well. Let me know if you find a good guide to put it together. I am new to soddering.

I watched the youtube videos like 5 times before I started. I also bought a $2 pcb to practice on first. My soldering was really crappy looking but it all worked less one light. I figured out the light issue but I don’t wanna take it apart to fix it yet hahaha.

Good luck dude.

where did you find the instructions to know what goes where? I can’t seem to find them.

I love the Axoloti! Mainly been using mine as a master effects processor after my OP-1. Lately I’ve been putting it in between my modular synth and my OP-1 which got me thinking… Next move is to buy a couple breakout cables so I can have a dual channel effects processor for two voices coming out of the modular. All the FX parameters are controlled by gen 1 Korg Nanokontrols (gen 1 gives you 4 pages of MIDI CC compared to gen 2’s single page). And I have a second Axoloti to remain as a master effects processor.

Welcome heatseeker! Dude, I was sold after I saw your videos. I’m gonna try to replicate that patch using the MTM gpio controls instead of the NanoKontrol.

Were you experienced in synth programming before the Axo? Or a noob like me? Either way it super fun and looks not extremely difficult to understand.
where did you find the instructions to know what goes where? I can't seem to find them.

I used this doc

https://www.thonk.co.uk/documents/axocontrol/Axocontrol_Build_Doc_v1.1.pdf

I flipped the male and female headers like it recommends. I can see how that will help in the future. My soldering got better mostly throughout the build so by the time I had to solder the axo core board, they looks almost semi-pro hahah!

I will be getting at least one more axo core. Too much fun for that low price.

Oh, and now im GAS’sing for this… http://zynthian.org/

Some synth resources at GS HERE

I’d say Axoloti is fairly easy to get up and running. There are lots of modules that work exactly how you’d expect a modular synth to work. It gets harder the deeper you get into it. It took me a few months to start incorporating math and logic modules into my patches. And other cool things like tables (used for sample players, loopers, advanced delays) and subpatches are still a bit over my head.

My synth background before Axoloti involved VSTs, OP-1, and dabbling with modular. The GUI for Axoloti is very clear and you go about rigging up a basic patch like plugging in guitar pedals in a chain. I found it more intuitive than PureData, another visual programming language.

https://leanpub.com/getting-started-with-axoloti/

After looking around all morning I just got this ebook ^. It is well written and answers alot of question on the first chapter. Worth a look

I’m continually tempted to get an axoloti, especially considering how much fun I have programming Patchblocks patches, and also since I’ve always had slight GAS for a nord micro modular but didn’t want to deal with getting the software running on my modern imac…

My only concern is that apparently the software doesn’t include an emulator, so you have to write the patch to the unit every time in order to hear what it sounds like? I may be wrong, but last time I checked, this seemed to be the case.

Can the axoloti function as a USB midi host in addition to its many other uses? If so, it seems like a no-brainer since it’s half the price of a dedicated Kenton unit.

I'm continually tempted to get an axoloti, especially considering how much fun I have programming Patchblocks patches, and also since I've always had slight GAS for a nord micro modular but didn't want to deal with getting the software running on my modern imac..

My only concern is that apparently the software doesn't include an emulator, so you have to write the patch to the unit every time in order to hear what it sounds like? I may be wrong, but last time I checked, this seemed to be the case.

I think patches can be stored on the sd card and booted on power-up. From there you can switch patches with midi controller or hopefully from the gpio board. I’ll see what I find out on that.

Can the axoloti function as a USB midi host in addition to its many other uses? If so, it seems like a no-brainer since it's half the price of a dedicated Kenton unit.

Yup. I’ll try op-1 to mpc with the axoloti as a bridge this week. Seems like just a few modules for a simple pass-thru. My first goal is to get like 5 good utility patches like midi bridge, fx unit, drum machine, and guitar/bass amp-fx. I want to get them to load on boot and i’ll use the gpio to load and scroll thru.

I think patches can be stored on the sd card and booted on power-up. From there you can switch patches with midi controller or hopefully from the gpio board. I'll see what I find out on that.

Sorry, what I mean is that it seems that the patching software isn’t capable of previewing what the patch will sound like/do without having to save it to the axoloti first… I’m still not good at blindly making patches, even for something as simple as Patchblocks, so not having a preview/emulator may be a little frustrating to me…

You totally can test the patch from the patcher application, but you need to keep Axoloti connected to the computer while doing that. Axoloti functions as the “sound card” of the patcher. So it’s not an issue IMHO, no fumbling with SD cards or anything like that when debugging a patch. And like @flybry said, once you have a nice set of patches, you don’t need a computer to switch between them, you can use MIDI or GPIO.

Not a big pain to test patches. Once you make it live (upload it to the Axoloti) you can still dial in parameters on the GUI and design your patch. You will not be able to move around cables or add/remove modules when live.

It only takes a few seconds for a patch to upload to the Axoloti.

i put together the thonk controller a few months back , it works too . was my first project but i definitely need to practice before doing another project.

have actually programmed anything yet , though i’m starting to suspect i mostly download other peoples patches and not write my own.

axoloti looks very promising though , nord modular couldnt do reverbs/delays as far as i can see , nord G2 is very expensive,