Battle 24

I just meant use one of the internal synth engines to accompany the provided patches. The synth and drum samplers can be used to mangle the provided samples as well as your chosen synth engine (so technically you could use two engines: dr wave for instance and the sampler, or cluster and the synth engine, but just the single synth engine for tone generation). The drum patches may not be edited before being loaded into the OP-1, but once inside the unit the sky is the limit.

Example: if you chose cluster as your engine because you initially made a soft pad out of it that you liked, but couldn’t find a biting percussive or bassy patch, you could record cluster to tape,lift it to the synth sampler, make loop start and end points very close to each other to squeeze out a new timbre, then use this new patch with new effects to add to your song.

One could also shorten a segment of the provided drum loops to little more than a click and apply massive amounts of punch until you got a booming kick out of it.

Or more simplistically, you could loop a drum break, add an FM bass, an FM lead, an FM pad, and a sample saying something like “filmed live at Universal Studios Orlando, Florida” pulled from the Radio receiver. Substitute FM with DNA, Dsynth, Digital, Cluster, Phase, DrWave, Pulse, or String.

All loaded up and ready to go. Loving the kits, @Lymtronics!

Thanks. The kits are from “Funky Drummer” by James Brown, “Hey Hey Goodbye” by Steam, and “Do it til you’re satisfied” by B.T. Express. The other sounds are small sampling from the nord drum I purchased thanks to a tip on a sale from @KrisM. I had some success with the BT Express kit on the last song I made called “Edgewater.” The James Brown one is among the most sampled drum loops of all time. Should be fun messing with it in the OP-1.

Lym I believe it IS the most sampled piece of music, amen break it high too.

No Drum utility but load the stuff as a track via USB?

The samples are saved as drumkits, I just didn’t map them out across the keys. I’ll let everyone do that the way they want (plus I was running out of time and wanted to get the battle going).

I see!

I’ll get the ball rolling… I’ve just signed up and these battles look like a great way to try and learn more about using the OP-1. So here’s my contribution - go easy on me, I’ve never used samples before!

I used an afternoon by the pool while on holiday in the Charentes area of France. My location sample was an advert for Pineau cognac, which comes from the area. I used the strings engine. Look forward to hearing everyone else’s!

Lovely song @ali! Nice groove and great string sounds. Really liked it.

Yessss, very nice @ali!

…and welcome aboard!

nice tune @ali

Hi everyone, this is my first battle as well, so… here it is!

I live in a small city in Switzerland called La Chaux-de-Fonds but no one seems to wanna talk about it on the radio. So the sample I could get was about Lausanne, which is not that far from home. The complete sentence (for those who want to improve their French) is “Ah Lausanne, vous êtes de Lausanne… des Vaudois, des Vauuuudooois” (last word to be pronounced with local accent). The synth engine is Cluster.

https://soundcloud.com/adrigax/vous-etes-de-lausanne

NICE piece @adrigax !!!

Thanks chaps, I’ve not really shared anything I’ve done before so I appreciate the kind words!

Very good @adrigax, there’s a definite French theme so far…

No problems with downloading. I think I continue battling this time. Lovely first entry here ali!

Wow!!
Both entries are really great!

I’m off on vacation next week, with a 6-hr car ride both ways. bet you can guess what I’ll be doing…

Spinning rock for a Citizen of the World.

https://soundcloud.com/dimi3/spinning-rock

That’s great, but I can’t not think of The Powerpuff Girls when I hear that breakbeat sped up…

Ugh! I just spent at least an hour sifting through all the LA radio stations, haven’t heard anybody say Los Angeles even ONCE. I did record an “LA”, but that’s too short to be useful. I don’t think I can handle another car advertisement >:( Everything seems to be “Southern California”, I might settle for that next time I go round

@adrigax your piece is fantastic!

I really like the vibes off @ali’s entry too

edit: is using a rap song instead kosher? http://genius.com/search?q=los+angeles