Battle 30 "Delay"

Downloads, gentlemen, please enable downloads if you don’t mind too much : people that cannot stream (like : at work) cannot listen to your contributions as often as they would…

Thanks to the ones that did it already :slight_smile:

Marijn, your background picture is very smart ^^

Listened to everything made so far, I cannot decide yet.
I HAVE to find the time to participate !!

Downloads, gentlemen, please enable downloads if you don't mind too much : people that cannot stream (like : at work) cannot listen to your contributions as often as they would...
Thanks to the ones that did it already :)

Marijn, your background picture is very smart ^^

Listened to everything made so far, I cannot decide yet.
I HAVE to find the time to participate !!

Yeah, I make it a point to make everything downloadable and even take the time to put everything up as creative commons.

Love it when the download counter goes up

enabled downloads.

and thanks for the mentions above. some great tracks already in the running! looking forward to hearing the rest of the entries coming in.

@ceefax thanks, yeah he’s one of my favorites along with boards of Canada

So many good tacks. I will try to comment later. For now, just my entry:

http://soundcloud.com/sjgambler/time-stamp

Sorry for the clicks. Personally, I blame TE :slight_smile: . (In reality, I still haven’t quire figured out what to do when they apper after loop overdubbing.)

After messing with it for a bit, I started to realize that delay is a very versatile effect. Aside from doint the traditional echo effect, it can be used for faking reverb of various kinds, it can be used as a variety choruses, and with the lowest setting and maximum input it can even act as a cheap “amplifier” for the active synth engine. Tying its speed to LFOs can produce an additional array of effects, from subtle alteration to bendy craziness… This was a very educational Battle for me.

Edit: Forgot two more uses. You can use delay as a looper and to generate feedback noise.

LyingDalai @LyingDalai Thanks! The delayed battle couldn’t have been planned at at better moment :slight_smile:

Unlocked the download option in my track.

@kln your entry makes for a great Badu remix!

thanks @spacetravelmadeeasy

it has a happy accident that the title of the song I sampled (which informed my title) alludes to Delay.

Here's my run at this battle:

https://soundcloud.com/zakguy/operator1battle30delay

Hi guys, here’s mine.

Delays Possible by - yoof - | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Was fun to get out of my comfort zone and just use delay :slight_smile: Delay’s such a useful effect though… all I can say is I’m glad it wasn’t a “Grid” effect battle - I definitely would have struggled :wink:

Looking forward to giving everyone’s a proper listen now that I’ve submitted something.

Hey guys -this is my first battle entry. Delay on everything recorded to tape, and even delay on the master. Weird concept, but fun!

https://soundcloud.com/wi_ngo/foxy-rox
Delay on absolutely everything, though subtle amounts at times.
This is my first ever OP-1 recording, be nice!

https://soundcloud.com/mbordenj/delay-battle

@borden I often have to use delay techniques on beavers too. Nice track! (love the sound-bed)

Hi Folks,
Here is my very last minute effort. ta
https://soundcloud.com/jethro-bagust/lucierhythms

@Ceefax, thanks man! Your entry is one of my favorites in this particular battle. Lots of good stuff all around, really.

I appreciate the positive reinforcement since this is the first (of hopefully many) song I’ve posted here.

The droney sounds were made with d-synth. If they made a dsynth-in-a-box unit I would buy it in a heartbeat.

@wingo really cool! I was hoping for something like that

Any last minute people: keep em coming!

@throw Oh man, trying to place that sample was kuh-killing me… Alvien Lucier! Really enjoyed that, I’d love to play it to a room full of people on mushrooms.

@borden Ah I was trying to work out what synth you used, I was wondering if you’d coaxed that out of DNA. If I could have a single engine as a standalone unit it would be a seriously roided-up version of the string model. I’d want control of the characteristics of the resonant chamber and a big touch screen that displays the oscillating strings and allows you to pluck or mute them. I’d also want to be able to define a threshold controlled cluster of drone strings. Ooh and an accelerometer, so you can shake it, to aggravate the strings…You’re welcome TE!
Also I’m partial to the FM engine, so a beefed up version of that would be cool as well. It’s not like the market is flooded with easy to use FM algorithms - I mean who doesn’t love horns, bells, e-pianos and vibraphones? Perfect for cheesy listening like this.

Jinkees! There’s so many good entries, voting is going to be difficult (unless I can vote for multiple entries?) I’ve actually been going through a lot of old battles and material on the Tracks thread too. I’m really blown away by the level of talent on this forum. I pretty much turned my back on social networking and interweb communities some years ago, but I feel privileged to be a member of Operator 1; it’s like coming home. Even though, apparently that’s something you can never do.

Damn, everybody’s bringin out the big guns for the battle. @Ceefax sounds soo dope and works so well. Nice other tracks as well on SC. @kln,damn that’s a lot of work man. You utilize the OP-1 as I can only wish too. Gotta exercise that bouncing technique. awesome work from all so far.

Thanks, @Overseas_Territory! Lots of great stuff here. Getting a lot of new ideas.