Battle 45 - Birthday Surprise

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #e4af09} li.li1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545} span.s1 {color: #e4af09} span.s2 {color: #454545} ul.ul1 {list-style-type: disc}

Welcome to Battle 45! Hosted by @Edzilla and myself.

My birthday is coming up, so I thought we’d use that as a loose theme for this battle.

First, let’s have some numbers fun, inspired by the “Answers” battle.

Write out your birthday in the following format: day + month.

e.g. my Birthday is: seventh march.

Add up the amount of letters in the first word (seventh= 7) and the second (march= 5)

These numbers together become your tempo - mine is 75.

Next, add the numbers together (e.g. 7+5= 12). Write your numbers in a post below - e.g. 75, 12 would be mine. If your tempo is faster - like twentyseventh (13) december (8), making a tempo of 138 - then add up the numbers like so: 1+3+8= 12

Using the added-up number, you will be assigned a “trick” from the “OP-1 Tips and Tricks” thread. This battle is also about using some of the techniques from the thread to develop some new sounds and extend our OP1 skills - hopefully to achieve the best results possible.

Using your added-up number (mine being 12), refer to the following table to determine your “trick”

5, 6, 7 - Timestretch (by @5StarNomad)

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/67/op-1-tips-and-tricks/p1 (first post)

8, 9, 10 - Beat stutter (by @5StarNomad)

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/67/op-1-tips-and-tricks/p1 (first post)

11, 12, 13 - Sample into sequencer (by @scy1e)

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/67/op-1-tips-and-tricks/p2 (3rd from bottom post on p2)

14, 15, 16 - Stereo Auto-pan (by @tralivallo)

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/67/op-1-tips-and-tricks/p5 (5th post on p5)

17, 18 - Tralivallo’s endless drum tweaking (by @tralivallo)

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/67/op-1-tips-and-tricks/p4 (last post on p4)

Now, the rules!

1. Your “trick” needs to be applied in an obvious way through some of your piece so that it can be easily identified.

2. Using the built-in mic, create a sound that references birthdays - this could be you singing “happy birthday”, lighting a candle, or ripping up wrapping paper. Use your imagination. You can apply your required “trick” to this sound if you wish.

3. Draw a birthday cake in Sketch sequencer. Take a photo of the screen and use it as the songs picture in soundcloud. Bonus points for the funniest looking cake. More bonus points for actually using it to sequence a sound.

4.You may use one other trick of your choice that does not fall on your number, if you wish.

5. All internal synths, drums, and FX can be used, as well as any external samples that you wish to use and/or create beyond rule 2.

6. Name your piece after the best or worst birthday present you ever received. For instance, mine might be “Stupid Electric Toothbrush (I Wanted A Gameboy, Dammit!)”. Of course, you can be more poetic than that…

7. All mixing and mastering within OP1

8. Deadline is 17th of March

Note: if your tempo is too slow (say you’re born first of may, tempo would be 53) then just play at double time!

If my math is wrong and you add up to a different number, use this link to determine 1 of the 5 tricks

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=random+5

hope this all makes sense!

@admin please pin topic

Apologies for the random formatting text at the beginning, trying to fix that now

‘<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: medium; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>twentyseventh (13) december (8), making a tempo of 138’

<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: medium; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: medium; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>I assume this means days higher than a certain number get cut in half?

@borden there shouldn’t be a need - by my calculations the largest amount of letters in a day would be twentyseventh (13 letters) and the largest month would be september (9 letters) making the fastest possible tempo 139.

Unless my math is wildly off, which hopefully it ain’t…!

I give you guys bonus points for the craziest amount of original ideas :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to ask my daughter to draw me a cake :smiley:

Thinly veiled attempt at identify theft data collection ^

Haha, nah, I kid!

I’m hoping to get my op-1 back in the saddle soon (repair)… If I can, then I will go for it with this :slight_smile:

Cool ideas :slight_smile:

twentieth november - 98, 17

I’m glad I’ve inspired some of us :D, love numbers

First of April - 55, 10

Yep, you let your mark on the Battles forever friend !

:smiley:

Jan. 10th => 57, 12

@<a href=“https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/2554/millbastard” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>millbastard<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> you can get a precise link to the post you’re referring to : just click on the date of the post, the url is the one you want to paste in your brief :slight_smile:

@millbastard you can get a precise link to the post you're referring to : just click on the date of the post, the url is the one you want to paste in your brief :)

Oh snap! Will have to edit the original post. Still can;t work out the formatting text, it doesn’t appear in the “edit” window for me to delete? Strange.

Anyways, let’s Battle!

Nice speedy numerological-based turnaround…

78, 15

78 BPM, Stereo auto-pan

:slight_smile:

25th Jan - 117, 9

why do I feel like this might be 29 days of drawing a cake and 1 day of making a song?
^ Totally... This is why I intend to outsource this job to my daughter ^^
This, and the one where one should create a sound that references birthdays :D

Twentieth February

98, 17

98 BPM, Tralivallo’s endless drum tweaking.

I’ll give it a try. I keep not having time. But… gonna post here anyway.

Full disclosure, I had to read the instructions twice. Very creative!
25th Jan - 117, 9

why do I feel like this might be 29 days of drawing a cake and 1 day of making a song?

Hahahaha

Twentieth February
98, 17

I'll give it a try. I keep not having time. But... gonna post here anyway.

I’m Feb 20th too. HBD brother!

Mebbe i’ll give this battle a shot - lots of partying planned hahaha
Twentieth February
98, 17

I'll give it a try. I keep not having time. But... gonna post here anyway.

I’m Feb 20th too. HBD brother!

Mebbe i’ll give this battle a shot - lots of partying planned hahaha

Ha! Yeah! Right back at ya! Happy Birthday!

118BPM / 10 (Beat Repeat)

74 BPM, 11 (Sample into sequencer)

I just worked out that Sketch has a limitation on how much you can input into it… Gonna be some crappy looking cakes! Lol