Battle 45 - Birthday Surprise

The cake is probably a lie anyway :wink:

The cake is probably a lie anyway ;)
Thx for recalling me excellent moments :D

17th of july (114bpm and timestretch). Not sure if i can make the deadline as i have a course to teach on top of other work obligations. But then again, some birthday sprinkles and cakedrawing seems like high-quality stress relief :slight_smile:

First August

56bpm
11 - Sample into sequencer

Thanks for choosing my trick! I shall participate, for the first time!

21st September, 119bpm, 11 - sample into sequencer

I will use the endless drum tweaking as well, as I thing it’s a little cheap to use my own trick.

I actually don’t know the broader rules for this, do I need a soundcloud, or can I submit on my bandcamp? and is there a particular style this should be in, or what?

sweet!
Thanks for choosing my trick! I shall participate, for the first time!

21st September, 119bpm, 11 - sample into sequencer

I will use the endless drum tweaking as well, as I thing it's a little cheap to use my own trick.

I actually don't know the broader rules for this, do I need a soundcloud, or can I submit on my bandcamp? and is there a particular style this should be in, or what?

sweet!

Hey bud, glad you’re joining! Soundcloud makes it easiest to vote as they can all be combined intoa big soundcloud playlist at the end for easy listening. That said, I don’t think there are any any restrictions on platform? Just makes it easier to compile.

Style is all up to you!

20th january 97 and 16

BPM 97 and Stereo auto-pan
i hope i ll find the time to make something :slight_smile:

tenth november
5+8 = 13
Sample into sequencer

Sample into sequencer trick sounds wild! Never tried that before!

tenth november 58 5+8 = 13 Sample into sequencer

Sample into sequencer trick sounds wild! Never tried that before!

I tried this the other day to see how it sounded. was willlllllld. Also works with sequencers other than Endless (at least Tombola worked for me)

twentyseventh june

134 BPM

1 + 3 + 4 = 8 = beat studder

anyway…

OK! I Will have time to do this one. my numbers are 94 for tempo and 13 for the sample into sequencer trick!

Hey guys, I got some time the last few days to chop through an idea - and i thought fk it, let’s put it up and kick the battle off! I know the host doesn’t usually participate, but I think it was decided after the last battle that because there was three winners we could join in? If not, then just ditch my submission from the voting process.

https://soundcloud.com/mlbstrd/b00tz

First off, my birthday is seventh march, making my tempo 75, and my trick number 12 (sample into sequencer)

Some notes

Sample into sampler/birthday sample: my vocals doing the “I never wanted to show you nothin, on my birthday”, sequenced using endless, and then resampled into itself so it got that wild distortion like a runaway analog delay. Good fun.
There’s also the sound of a cigarette lighter (for candles? stretching here…) used as the hi-hat when it flips to the double-time section.
Other trick I used was time-stretch on the “money” sample that I used the built-in radio for, catching some random advertisement.
All other sounds (drums, synths, fx) were all from within OP1
The title is because I just got a sweet pair of boots ahead of my birthday on tuesday. Thought i’d go circa-90’s gamer style number-lettering.

I tried really hard to push some re-sampling to the max, so there’s lots of bounced sounds using reverb, CWO, nitro, and phone. It was a constant battle against the limited headroom as my master drive was set to about 60 or so, but I kind of rolled with it as it suits the genre I work in. We’ll call it a tribute to Madlib.
Tempo was a difficult one for me, as it’s too slow for what I do, so I tried a double/half time feel. Struggled.
I was also really trying to work the stereo field to spread it out from the mono feel a lot of my OP1 stuff tends to have, which you can hear mainly in the middle breakdown.
I then live performed it to album, using tape mutes/tricks, using shift+> to change different loops, which I kind of got lost towards the end and a section or two goes a bit awry, but whatever.
I did a few takes and was really happy with the transitions on this one, which I did by playing some synth patches over the top (the “money” sample, the FM bell/rhodes, the white noise, and the piercing tones here and there). I did all the filtering live as well as a master effect, which was harder than I thought (stepped encoders) and it get’s pretty wild right at the end when it drops into the “ambient”-ish section. Watch your ears. It’s easily the longest thing I’ve finished on OP (4:15) as I usually get to about 2 mins max.

I got halfway thru my cake sketch and decided to turn it into a cake godzilla. Then I ran out of lines in the sketch and it started to erase, hence the line missing from the bottom. Screw it! At least the candles look good lol

Wow, fantastic job, millbastard! I’m blown away. Very distinct and unique sound! And that sample into sequencer thingy is wild!!! (Am I allowed to comment on tracks here? Sorry if not, I just had to)

Awesome !

Wow, that is an amazing track @millbastard

thanks squad! had a lot of fun putting this one together. It’s a really fun challenge to get a piece fully completed all on the OP1. Each time I do it I find a new little quirk or trick: this time I found with nitro as the master effect, you can get a bit of glitchy crunch by opening the filters right up and just putting on a touch of resonance. Love the OP more and more every time I use it

Cool piece @millbastard ! Love it

Thanks @quarantequatre! Looking forward to hearing other people’s tracks