Battle 47: A Linguistic Approach to ˈmjuzɪk

Hi folks,

Here are the rules for our brandnew battle:

Since I have studied linguistics, I have always been interested in our articulatory organs and the way phonetic sounds are formed.

The Pink Trombone (http://dood.al/pinktrombone) is actually a synthesizer that simulates our articulatory organs and gives you organic tools to manipulate the sound - according to the possibilities we have in our mouth to change phonetic sounds. These include the tongue, the lips, nasal cavity, the palate and the throat with the vocal chords. This provides the possibility to form any vowel or consonant you wish (I can even make it say OP-1 xD).

1. All (melodic/tonal) sounds have to be created using this “linguistic” tool - The Pink Trombone - http://dood.al/pinktrombone

2. All drum sounds have to be created using only your mouth or/and voice.

3. You have to play a solo using Pink Trombone in one part of your track.

4. Make a picture for your track using the sketch sequencer (still love that idea)

5. Use this site to transcribe your track title in the international phonetic alphabet (IPA): http://lingorado.com/ipa/

Using external gear like reverb-pedals etc. is OK. However, all sampling, mixing and mastering has to be done on the OP-1 - no DAWs!

Deadline for entries is the 30th of June!

Here is a short video to see what the pink trombone actually does: https://youtu.be/7LGnozlwU1o

Have fun and enjoy!
(hæv fʌn ænd ɛnˈʤɔɪ)

Zach

Awesome battle challenge. I hope I can find the time to participate…

Great idea! What’s the deadline for entries?

Oh sorry. I added the deadline now: 30th of June. How can I make the thread sticky?

Very cool rule set! This one will likely be funny

Awesome set of rules @Zach_Lambert! looking forward to this

I’m intrigued! Just began my OP-1 journey… shall I make this my first foray into Battles? Hmm…

I'm intrigued! Just began my OP-1 journey.... shall I make this my first foray into Battles? Hmm...

Do it! it’s a great way to push your understanding of how to create full arrangements on the OP

Btw the Pink Trombone is awesome, but do use it with a multi-touch device. It’s great to play on an iPad, and the audio latency ain’t half bad, at least with Chrome!

I have been messing around according to the rules and I have to say that it’s really really difficult to come up with something nice. Especially because there is always a slight pitch wobble with the Pink Trombone. I try tuning the sounds with shift+metronome but it’s pretty hard to get satisfying results. What about you?

I haven’t tried it with OP-1 yet, but resampling is allowed, right? Except for the solo I suppose? But yeah, I noticed also that getting constant pitch is tricky. I suppose we’ll get really crazy-ass solos. =)

Yeah, resampling is allowed, of course. I really can’t wait for the solos from you guys! xD

At first I thought we had to play live the solo on the pink trombone. So if i understand well : we can sample different sound from pink trombone in the drum sampler. Then use the drum sampler to play a solo with the keyboard. Am I right ?

“You have to play a solo using Pink Trombone in one part of your track.”

I think it means actual live playing on the Pink Trombone …

Yes, it means actual live playing of the PT. xD
But you can resample the PT for everything else.

I have been messing around according to the rules and I have to say that it's really really difficult to come up with something nice. Especially because there is always a slight pitch wobble with the Pink Trombone. I try tuning the sounds with shift+metronome but it's pretty hard to get satisfying results. What about you?

I had some problems first as well. Try using shift when setting loop point in the synth sample to get better matching. A really cool battle this one, just hope i get to finish this one. Started on a number of battles but never get the time to finish them:(

Comrades!

Here is my entry for this battle. Since I’m the host, you cannot vote for it! I’m looking forward to your entries…
Don’t forget: deadline is the 30th of june - hopefully there will be enough entries, hehe. xD

https://soundcloud.com/lambertlambert/rot-tekno

Here’s one tip if you are having a hard time with the rules: you can shorten a PT-sample so much, that it sounds like
a standard sine or square wave. Tune them by pressing shift+metronome and enjoy an easier to cope with-tune.

Have fun you guys!

<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/3160/Zach_Lambert” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(1, 115, 198); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>Zach_Lambert<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> Your track is awesome, big congrat! If you were in battle now, I’d vote for it, I suspect :slight_smile:

<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>

Here’s one tip if you are having a hard time with the rules: you can shorten a PT-sample so much, that it sounds like
a standard sine or square wave. Tune them by pressing shift+metronome and enjoy an easier to cope with-tune.

That’s true. My concern is that it works by all existing or upcoming samples in the world. Relying on this trick mostly can make meaningless to restrict battles on such strange, interesting sound sources like that pink trombone. Otherwise nobody can prevent us to use the trick :slight_smile:

You’re right, bro. That trick should not be used too much, but if you need a bass for example, there are not many other options I guess…

Just a little reminder: time’s up soon - the deadline is due in 9 days! What happens if there are no entries at all? Has this ever happened before? xD