Battle 58 - THE ODD BATTLE

I’ve got a handful of fun ideas for future battles, but this one is calling my name right now. THE ODD BATTLE. Make a significant portion of your track an odd time signature. By odd time signature, I mean basically anything other than 4/4. It can be as simple or as complex as you want with any instruments you desire. It’s up to you. Just keep it odd. 4/4 parts are ok once in a while as long as it’s not the focus of your track. Sampling is ok, but everything must be mixed and mastered in the op-1 and recorded to side a or b. Submit as many tracks as you want!

Cool, nice idea. Always wanted to do sth like that!

Sounds fun. What about the deadline?

As for the deadline, let’s shoot for sunday, january 19th.

I just love odd time signature !
I’m in !!

Nice brief, I’m gonna try to make something too !

this piece of music is quite ODD. can it be entered?

https://soundcloud.com/dj_kln/petes-of-music

1 Like

@kln Nice one, but 4/4 all the time…

It’s been absolutely ages since I did anything on the Op-1, so I feel very rusty! It feels a bit unstructured and short, but I’ll chuck it in regardless :wink:

I think it fits the brief. The track follows the same odd pattern throughout, 14 16th notes followed by 16 16th notes.

1 Like

@motone - check again

i uploaded Side A. oopsie!

corrected and now Side B is live and direct. hits 5/4 around the 1:50 mark.

is that Odd enough?

@yoof - nice return to the battle. doesn’t sound too rusty. (as consideration of track #2 ensues).

ha!

Wish TE implemented support of various time signatures finally :slight_smile: In the OP series at least.

I can’t wait for holiday/family time to wrap up so I can continue working on my track and really dig into the songs posted so far. This is definitely more challenging than i thought! :slight_smile:

Great tracks @yoof & @kln

Am I trippin or is your track 4/4 kln?
Maybe it just seems 4/4 because I’m counting 1, 2, 3, 4 :smiley:

I’m going to try to get in on this battle,
I don’t know much about odd time signatures.
It’ll be nice to try something new… we’ll see how it turns out!

One cool trick for working odd signature is using the pattern sequencer back and forth !
Works both with melodies and beats :slight_smile:

Here’s what I came up with. I’m not an odd-time guy usually, so I thought this would be fun for a change, but it was surprisingly tricky on this machine. A funny little guitar riff is the star of my main loop. I count 5 beats, then 4 beats, then 5 beats, then 5 beats again before the loop starts over. Then it goes into a couple 4/4 loops that are… whatever ?. Then Krusty brings it all back around at the right time. Keep up the great work operators!

https://soundcloud.com/user-388190003/what-the-hell-was-that

Very cool tracks so far @yoof, @kln and @KOHLBERG.
Right now I’m struggling with my 7/8 beat.
I always get dizzy and feel like on little boat in the Caribbean sea ?

here’s a new take. like my last track it stumbles between signatures 5/4 & 4/4. this time i started with the 5/4, then it kicks into 4/4 for a bit, and then ends 5/4

https://soundcloud.com/dj_kln/brand-practice

1 Like

@Sharris - my first track does change from 4/4 to 5/4 at about 1:50, and then stays 5/4 the rest of the way throughout.

i posted the wrong side at first, which was my 4/4 part only, but then fixed it.

@mixrasta - a little boat in the Caribbean sounds nice this time of year!