Battle 66 “Devil in Details”

April 26th is coming…
Please find the time to drop a track and escape the confinement :wink:

1 Like

4 tracks for now. Who’s still working on it?
Need for a deadline extension?

@quarantequatre I want your track mate!

Here’s my last minute entry, and my first OP Battle!

I went for a “generative music” approach with this one, using a piano sequence recorded with the Tombola sequencer as the basis for the track. “Habitual Motion” was inspired by being confined indoors, being relegated to the same motions day in and out.

#1: I recorded the sound of crickets chirping using a Shure MV88 iOS microphone, this served as an ambient, calming background for the duration of the song.

#2: I attempted to tame the OP-1 Synth I never use, DSYNTH. I managed to eke out a ‘radio noise’ type sound from it’s nondescript little knobs and this provides a sort of crescendo towards the conclusion of the song.

#3: I used the provided drum kit and was quite drawn to the bell-like tones. To mix them in with the rest of the song, I made heavy use of the ‘GRID’ FX, with the feedback set almost at the tipping point of self-oscillation, so the bell hits would linger.

#4: The OP-1 is the only bit of hardware that I own, I prefer to produce using software plugins. However for this requirement, I used my iPhone and the superb ‘Moog Model D’ app. This provided some resonant swept white noise which layered the crescendo used in #2.

3 Likes

I’ll submit one tomorrow (I think!). :grin:

1 Like

I’m working hard on mine too, one day longer couldn’t hurt. Will definitely have done one!
I have much fun :bone::bone::eyes::clock1030::shushing_face:

1 Like

I left this completely til the last minute but I’m hoping to get something ready for tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just finished mine but upload will have to wait until tonight!

Here’s my entry:

I recorded a minute-length loop with the built in microphone in my study, making multiple passes (so that both OP-1 noise and the room “noise” got amplified). Then I added some percussion from the Battle drumkit, and made multiple bounces of the thing to different tracks, adding some effects. Then I drove the whole thing through Bastl SoftPop, and recorded it’s output in one of the tracks. Finally, made an album with two passes of the loop, adding some tape tricks and master FX variation.

I’ve been really bad at following the brief for the last couple of battles I took part in, but I think this time I did it right. :grin:

3 Likes

Deadline extended, waiting for your tracks ladies & gentlemen :slight_smile:

Only 1 hour late :slight_smile:

Refresh yourself with some highly inauthentic Gamelan music made from sampled beer can. I involved the String synth for the first time ever and some of the LyingDalai supplied drums (in the upper octave). My other device wasn’t feeling collaborative today so everything was done on the OP1.

5 Likes

Never saw, was there an extension? Until when?

Between a low level of depression, finding out only one more week here at home until having to go back to one of the US Covid19 epicenters (north New Jersey), an online friends meeting (a remote “Cards Against Humanity” game that turned into one of our friends’ news of their breakup, not telling theirkids yet, and their online-only new romance) our remote Canasta game (fun!) and planting food in the garden, i did not even start looking at the rules seriously until late yesterday…i may just have to sit this one out, but maybe not if an extension?!?

Cheers to all who contributed in spite of this new world we are living in!!!

psound74emphasized text

1 Like

Hi! Super happy to be back.

Did a very percussion driven beat influenced by the amazing drum kit shared by @LyingDalai.

#1 recorded my terrace sounds: cars in a big avenue nearby, kids running a close playground. Not very much processed, just Delay.

#2 a DNA patch sequenced using the Tombola (just one note) plus the spring reverb used with a dubwise technique (activated by hand in specific moments, for aesthetic effects and making a tail of reverberation).

#3 used the whole drum kit for the drums (even if the DNA synth was used in some parts in a more percussive way). Really good!

#4 the bassline (very processed with CWO) that hits the second half of the beat was made in Korg Gadget for Nintendo Switch, using the wonderful Namco Kamata synth. The wavetable was hand designed. Sampled it and aplied the CWO.

Hope that you enjoy it as I enjoyed returning for the battles after a 2 year hiatus. Congratulations again for this amazing rule set and creative drum kit provided.

6 Likes

Sorry for the delay. Maybe still on time.

To make it short:

I fieldrecorded my kitchen for all percussions and other natural noise.

Then recorded the winy sound of the OP-1 by turning on and off an attached device by the help of the in- Ear.

I used the model cycle FM sounds for those short Roboter arpeggios all over the mix.

The Kalimba is from my Korg Rompler.

4 Likes

That one is the hit, fun! :smiley:

1 Like

Still open? I think I can be done by tomorrow!

2 Likes

That’s one lovely track! It has a great off-kilter Mouse on Mars vibe going on.

1 Like

Yep, @Lawr: please drop :slight_smile:

Nice track that honors the drum sounds I provided ^^
Glad to see you back and learn that you had fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I forgot my explanations:

#4 I used the Zoom H4n for recording:

#1 me walking up the stairs, me opening a keylock and sounds from a morning walk in the nearby forest (including crispy ice on the puddles)

#2 I recorded this YouTube Video directly into the OP-1 (tape at maximum Speed) and then made it very slow (at the bandcamp side there´s a fast-Version, which is just the tape running Fast Forward, and there you can “clearly” hear Ms Vonderleyen summing Freude schöner Götterfunken, lol)
and made drumsets out of the crispy ice-sonds, the key-Noise and some other YouTube word samples

#3 I used the bass drum from the preset and recorded it live over the soundcollage, just like the synth-tracks and bells.

I hope I followed all the rules and my english isn´t too bad.

Greetings from Northern Germany

3 Likes

Hi All!
Thanks for considering my entry (if i’m not too too late!)

Reading through the brief and especially RRose’s work, i became fascinated with how i could embody the Fibonacci Numbers with the limited resources of the OP-1

I decided to use the following:

1. Home Field recording: Zoom H4n Pro to capture: my singing bowl (part of my daily practice), Razer (work at home click keyboard - became drum / percussion track)

2. Decided to go with the distortion inherent in the provided “orchestra” patch and the evolution of the Cluster “New Day” and the gnarliness of Grid on the drum samples.

3. Unity: used the provided devil_details.aif drumset along with the Arpeggio sequencer -* for some 4:3

4. Decided that Excel on my computer was the other machine - needed to punch in the Fibonacci Numbers which i originally had wanted to do a big serial/12-tone row thingie but ended up using the numbers as the rythyms of the “snares” i developed using the razor keyboard, in reverse order in Endless with the following spacing 54, 33, 20, 12, 7, 4, 2, 1, 0
    (0 = rest)

Had fun throwing it together!

Stay well & safe everybody,
psound74!

4 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[ignore]