Best polyphonic synth..!

Hi guys ! I’m looking for the best polysynth i could afford for a low budget ( Already got my op-1 but i dont really use it for that …! ) ! I want it to sound warm, a bit like MGMT or Radiohead’s lotus flower …! I know both of these bands got dsi prophet 8-12 as their main polysynth, but i really cant afford that… I thought about a keylab 49 that comes with the analoglab and its 5000 sounds, but I dont like the fact that it´s almost untweakable…! I’ve been thinking about buying an original microkorg ( with the reverse keys, looks so gooooood ), but review on the internet say that it´s either cheap and shitty or incredible value and overall kick-ass sound ! So, if you guys could help me getting something to complete my setup ( already got my OP-1, my Microbrute, Ableton Push, and plentyyy of strat/telecaster!) thanksssss ^-^

Define “low budget” for us.

And since you’re looking at Microkorgs, I assume VA is a possible choice, which opens up a ton of options.

The Alesis Micron can be had for a song these days, it’s a virtual analog machine with a full size three octave keyboard. Tweaking is hard, but doable.

For similar money, you could score a Roland Alpha Juno, which is easier to edit and fully analog. Expect to pay between $200 and $300 for either of these.

I have both of these synths by the way. They both sound warm.

There are two “new” options if you like the DSI sound, the Tetra, which is an analog poly tabletop synth or the Mopho 4x, which is similar but includes a keyboard. They are about $800 and $1100 respectively.

juno, dx7? casio cz101? jx3p?

also, don’t let them fool u, the microkorg is plenty beast!

MS2000® go pretty cheap these days… And don’t be too quick to dismiss the iPad (paired with a decent audio interface)

A Casio XW-P1 sounds great, comes with a six oscillator solo synth mode, a six oscillator HEX layer for polyphonic patches and a drawbar organ mode for reasonably decent Hammond organ sounds. It also has quite a lot of General MIDI type sounds for your standard needs.

The solo sounds and drum kits can be sequenced using the onboard step sequencer. You can hook up the synth to a computer over USB and drive additional gear with the standard MIDI ports. Sounds can be tweaked in real time using the four knobs that are assignable but default to cutoff, resonance, attack and release. Editing sounds using the onboard display is a bit of a chore but I believe a computer editor is available from Casio. It also has onboard effects to further tweak the sound.

It is the kind of synth that really lends itself to live use. I barely use mine but am happy to have it. It’s quite large but it doesn’t weight a ton because it’s mostly plastic. It can be purchased for $500 at most music retailers. I would certainly check out any YouTube videos to get a sense of what it does.

Beyond that, an iPad with a keyboard controller makes for a fantastic combo as the range of synths available is now really large.

I honestly don’t understand how an iPad could work that well for making music, maybe am I a bit suspicious about the ergonomy of the thing…! Can you guys give some examples of apps ?

There’s a whole thread about music apps for iPad @clow and there are some excellent ones. I was skeptical at first too, but I’m a believer. iPad is great for making music.

your favourite iphone apps to play with op-1 !! :slight_smile:

yea ipad is the jam

I honestly don't understand how an iPad could work that well for making music, maybe am I a bit suspicious about the ergonomy of the thing...! Can you guys give some examples of apps ?

It’s easy enough to plug a compact MIDI keyboard in, but when a touch interface is integrated in an innovative manner (as with Samplr), it surpasses desktop functionality.

Give MitoSynth a shot. It will knock you out.

So an Ipad mini is enough for making music ? ( now I’m really considering buying one cause i would be able to play hearthstone on it too…!!! ) ! I would need an audio interface ( like a focuscrite right ? ), and a midi keyboard !? Looks awesome, plus the apps seems to be pretty cheap…!

^ my friends play hearthstone(they say it runs shitty on newest ipad.) I have no opinion just some food for thought.

So an Ipad mini is enough for making music ? ( now I'm really considering buying one cause i would be able to play hearthstone on it too...!!!!!!!!!! ) ! I would need an audio interface ( like a focuscrite right ? ), and a midi keyboard !? Looks awesome, plus the apps seems to be pretty cheap...!

I hate to wax philosophical, but define music.

With the current muscle of today’s iPads, apps like Samplr / Audiobus / MitoSynth / Multitrack DAW, etc., I’d say you can deliver a masterpiece, if you have the creativity.

If you want to deliver high-gloss, homogenized R&B / Dance pop… not so much.

I have an iPad Mini Retina, and I’d be lost without it. Any time the impulse strikes, I can work on a dozen creative applications.

Get a load of this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqoz-tRJW6I

Yes, there are people who make music with iPad Mini. Whether or not the Mini is the right fit for you depends on a number of factors. I could probably get by with a Mini since I also make music on my iPhone.

However, I personally use a full size iPad and would miss the screen size if I were forced to switch to the Mini size. Mitosynth sounds great on iPhone but the UI feels cramped in there compared to full size iPad.

Yes, there are people who make music with iPad Mini. Whether or not the Mini is the right fit for you depends on a number of factors. I could probably get by with a Mini since I also make music on my iPhone.

However, I personally use a full size iPad and would miss the screen size if I were forced to switch to the Mini size. Mitosynth sounds great on iPhone but the UI feels cramped in there compared to full size iPad.

Yeah, it’s definitely a trade-off, but for me, the difference between my mini and old iPad is totally all about the portability. I always found the iPad to be a bit… obvious? A little too big to tote into a diner and set up for music over a nice long lunch break. I find the mini to be a bit more clandestine. It’s got the feel of a paperback in my hand when I go from A to B. I feel like I’ve got a better all-around grip on it when I get up to leave. Surer. The screen size doesn’t feel like a compromise to me. It’s big enough, as a sketch pad.

To each his own. I find that I’m constantly at it, musically, with the Mini. More so than I was w/ my full sized pad.

It helps that it has about 5x more muscle than my old “Number Two” had. LOL.

I'm working on this sketch I did on Cubasis along with several other apps on the iPad. It was mostly produced on a road trip from Southern California to Reno Nevada. (16 hour trip round trip)
https://soundcloud.com/sleepytimedreamers/nickel-and-penny

@unflattered thanks for sharing the vid. The song is mesmerizing.

Thanks for all the answers ! What guys do you think the Nord lead 1, juno 60/106 and the Mopho x4 ? By the way I watch at least 5-6 demos and read reviews of all the stuff you suggested me !

ANNNNND the microkorg, i forgot sorry !

I'm working on this sketch I did on Cubasis along with several other apps on the iPad. It was mostly produced on a road trip from Southern California to Reno Nevada. (16 hour trip round trip)
https://soundcloud.com/sleepytimedreamers/nickel-and-penny

Nice.

You’ve got a follower.