Case Options for the OP-Z (not OP-1)

Because I have a newborn, look I put step by step instructions even when I was at work… And I’m a cook! Please just figure it out… It’s not hard! They both fit, you just have to get the headphones in first then let the opz rest on the ear part with the band against its side. So the opz doesn’t go all the way to the bottom. Make sure you fold the headphones first.

In your instructions you said earbuds twice so I assumed you were talking about earbuds. There is no way I am trusting this to keep my gear safe. I don’t think the headphones would survive a month of commute in my backpack stored like this. However I bet I can find a hard plastic case for A4 paper would hold the PVC packed like you describe.

Edit: this is the most insecure and sloppy way to pack the synth that I have seen. I value my gear way to much to do this to it. It feels like handling vinyl after eating pizza and and not cutting my name’s for a week. Yeah it works but it’s only a matter of time before the record is all scratched and covered with nasty grime that attracts dust and other crap. I would be embarrassed to post a picture of this method in this thread as a real option.

Ok… But I have had mine in my backpack for over a month like this… not a scratch… but I’m very careful with my stuff.

I didn’t know what else to call the ear part of headphones, I didn’t want to say ear muffs, I don’t know what you call that part.

ear cone? :smiley:

I think they call it an ear pad. I had to order replacements for my old sony mdr-7506 one time.

I use this Waterfield case https://www.sfbags.com/collections/gaming-cases/products/nintendo-switch-cityslicker-case

It’s for a Nintendo switch but fits the Z really nicely, there is a bit of room to move but I put cables and accessories in there too and seems to work really well, there a couple of different pouch sections and a zip section at the back where I store cables. Pretty nice case with a leather front.

2 Likes

That’s a nice looking case, and it even comes in a switch lite size which would be perfect, but boy did that $80 price tag catch me off guard! Personally, I think I’ll save a few bucks and stick with the $15 hermit case. (:

The Waterfield cases are expensive, but worth every penny. I don’t have that specific one, but I have one for my phone and one for my laptop, and they’re very, very well made and look great. I’d expect the same from that one. If I needed a case for my OP-Z right now, I’d definitely pick that up.

1 Like

Old piece of carpet, £0.00
Surprisingly sturdy too!

8 Likes

I consider this to be the win! So feckin cool. Is it pretty sturdy, do you think? Or will it break in a year. Looks ace!

It surely can take a beating. It’s the kind of a case that you throw in a backpack without having to care.

1 Like

I found this case, AARP not endorsed by this post, at my local Goodwill. I’ve had it since I got my OP-Z, I was scouring my Goodwill for case ideas when I got it. So far its done quite well. It’s never been dropped though, but I hope I would never drop it. It usually goes into my out of town bag like this as a way to keep it and components together. I even have the original manual inserts from the box tucked into the case behind the cord area where AARP would probably put pamphlets.

default_test_tone
“Break the default settings”

2 Likes

I’m in love with this felt case made by my friend Labilu’!! opz has a dedicated pocket, then another pocket is perfect for frekvens mini speaker, cables, headphones and I-rig interface!!
two elastics, fixed on the back, keep the thing well closed, very easy and fast opening/closing operations

image image image

I tried a ton of potentially smaller pencil cases, stethoscope cases, Nintendo lite cases…got the Goldilocks syndrome on all of them (this ones too small…this ones too large).

Hermit shell is inexpensive, and you just need a small piece of foam or some cloth to keep it snug.

Another excellent option for a quick “roll it up in neoprene type padding with Velcro to hold it” is a recommendation I saw: automobile seatbelt shoulder strap pads…thin, padded, snug and cheap. Easy to find on Amazon.
[MIRKOO Car Seat Belt Cover Pad, 2-Pack Soft Car Safety Seat Belt Strap Shoulder Pad for Adults and Children, Suitable for Car Seat Belt, Backpack, Shoulder Bag, Laptop Computer Bag (Black)](MIRKOO Car Seat Belt Cover Pad, 2-Pack Soft Car Safety Seat Belt Strap Shoulder Pad for Adults and Children, Suitable for Car Seat Belt, Backpack, Shoulder Bag, Laptop Computer Bag (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GCTG53H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_DhbzEbXVPP943)

On another note, the OP-1 (for those of you with that) fits inside a $15 padded harmonica case.
Lee-Oskar/ Harmonica-Soft-Pouch

my last opz diy case failed, a £5 tesco yoga mat. Before that there was a slim-line mouse mat. A chopped up book etc. On my dad`s suggestion i went to our local cobblers/key-cutters tiny shop. He took a photo, dimensions, two days later, £10 (plus the fiver tip) this simple suede leather rough-cut wonder.

Morale of the story; Go seek out your cobbler!

4 Likes

or get in touch with the man who made this…https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Footwear-Store/Thorpe-Shoe-Services-204350056258491/

I ordered (and returned) a ton of candidates, many of which who’s size was listed incorectly on Amazon. The Hermitshell (for battery pack AND charger) to me is the clear winner. I do have a small piece of foam in it, as it’s not super snug, but a handkerchief could be used easily.

$15.99

Hermitshell Hard EVA Travel Case Fits RAVPower 26800mAh / 32000mAh / 20000mAh External Battery Pack Power Bank

For a $7.99 option, this was surprisingly perfect for size and padding of an OP-Z:

Car Seat Belt Cover Pad,

I tried a bunch of pencil cases, stethoscope cases, Carrying Case Storage for Graphing Calculator Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus TI-84 (too short),

The Glide is nice, but about $34. It’s not much different than the Hermitshell above, just more $$. “Analog Cases GLIDE Case For The Teenage Engineering OP-Z” https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VZMNGRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi folks.
Just bought an op-z but didn’t want to spend an extra £35 on the glide case just yet.
So I got this pencil case from Amazon for £11.99
Just ever so slightly small…so out came the Stanley knife.
I think the odds of it hitting the floor in just that exact spot are pretty astronomical.Also has enough room for a USB cable,some wired headphones and my Aukey bluetooth transmitter.

1 Like

Not sure this is the place to post this anymore so forgive my ineptitude. However, I made this and wanted to show off my strappy little number.

2 Likes